Author Topic: Flour  (Read 3192 times)

Mimzy

• View Profile
Flour
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi Umpa,  I was wondering how you decide which flours to use in your recipes?  I am thinking about some of the recipes that I make in the fall and during the holiday and wondering how will I know whether to use almond, soy, or flax.  With your brownie recipe that is in the bakery book can soy flour be used?  Any information you could share would be very helpful.

Also,  I do a lot of canning and was wondering how you would go about sweetening jam?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate you being here  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Flour
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
Hiya Mimzy,We have missed you.  :)  I choose the flours I use by carb counts of the other ingredients in the recipe,consistency, baking/cooking times,and absorbancy.i find with soy flour if it is baked at a high heat or a longer baking time it turns bitter.But when you need a dough to roll out,like my scones it is the only flour to use.I have also cut soy flour with other flours to reduce the carbs.But in all honesty alot of times its what I have available in the house. I try to use goldenflax or flaxseed most because it is a zero and it is so great for your heart,hair and nails.
As far as jams they make a sugarfree pectin but I don't know what the carb count is.I just boil down the 1 cup fruit,with a 1/4 cup water,and 1/8 cup xylitol until i get the consistency i want.Adjust the xylitol to taste.Xylitol is so great for the kids teeth.
Holidays are coming quick.Last year we did a board contest for the best holiday recipes like stuffings,candy,etc.I even did a sweet potato pie.Maybe we should do that again ;)

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
Thank you Umpa. You are so helpful as always...  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »
Any questions please ask :) How ya doing Mimzy??

Marty

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »
Holidays are coming quick. Last year we did a board contest for the best holiday recipes like stuffings,candy,etc. I even did a sweet potato pie. Maybe we should do that again ;)
So... Are we having a holiday recipe contest this year? I'm going to look up last year's contest!  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
Yes the deadline for Halloween is tomorrow.Thanksgiving and Christmas are still going.You can even pick Dougs new book coming out in January at Barnes and Nobles if you win ;)