Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 4367 times)

binky04

• I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live :)
    • View Profile
Exercise
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »
Hi Everyone!  I was just wondering when I should add exercise to my new lifestyle???  I usually gain when I start exercising and I do not want to see my weight go up.  Any suggestions?  All help is much appreciated.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
Hi Binky.  I just recently added walking to my FTS.  I've been on FTS for one year now, so I decided it might be time.  Well, I have only lost 2 pounds in the past 4 weeks walking 2 miles 6-7 times a week. (?)  However, I do FEEL thinner, and everyone says I look like I've lost more...??  I am going to continue my walking because I feel GREAT!  I really believe I will start losing again once my body gets used to this "new" thing.  ha ha   I know that Sherripie lost her weight FAST without exercising, so maybe some other folks will chime in with their opinions.   ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »
I agree!
And so does my doctor... Walking is excellent exercise.
It becomes very habit forming too. If I miss my walk, my day feels incomplete.

Start slow and each week add distance and speed.
Your walk should be at a pace like you need to be somewhere... Faster than strolling but slower than power walking.

Swimming is also wonderful exercise!
This Winter, I'm joining a gym so that I can swim during the cold months.
What you do today is what matters!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

This Winter, I'm joining a gym so that I can swim during the cold months.

Sounds like a wonderful idea Mouseissue!
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
Woo hoo!....down 1 more pound this morning!  Definitely going to keep on walking along with my FTS lifestyle.   ;D   

Tony, I may need to check into a gym membership too, so I can keep "moving" during the winter months.  Then again...this is Georgia.  I may just need some thermal stuff for the few real chilly days we get.   ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
HOORAY JAN!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You're almost halfway to your goal!

Keep it up!!! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
GO JAN!! HAPPY DANCE!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »
Binky just move.You don't have to run marathons.I like to put on my ipod and dance around my house while I am cleaning ;)Dance like no one is watching!! ;D

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
Way to go Jan!!!!   ;D ;D 

joagain

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
We can wear our summer clothes here until at least late October most of the time , specialy if you are walking you would only be cold for a minuite .

Congrats Jan !!!!!! 1-2 pounds a week is pretty normal  ;) ;) ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
Thanks everybody!!  It was storming here yesterday morning, so I rode my exercise bike instead of walking.  I don't mind a little rain, but I'm NOT walking while it's lightening. There's an older gentleman that walks 5-7 miles at the track every morning, rain or shine.  He amazes me!  This morning he told me a GREAT quote....."Willpower is a muscle".

I thought that was interesting.  I want to build up THAT muscle!  ;)    
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:05:50 AM by Maddysmom »

binky04

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
Thanks everybody!!  It was storming here yesterday morning, so I rode my exercise bike instead of walking.  I don't mind a little rain, but I'm NOT walking while it's lightening. There's an older gentleman that walks 5-7 miles at the track every morning, rain or shine.  He amazes me!  This morning he told me a GREAT quote....."Willpower is a muscle".

I thought that was interesting.  I want to build up THAT muscle!  ;)   

Me too!! Thanks for sharing  ;D

binky04

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
Thanks for all of the help  ;)  I am suppose to only use my elliptical as I have back problems and it is very painful to walk for more than 15 minutes at a time.  I tried Zumba but was unable to continue due to the pain.  I think maybe I'll start using that elliptical tomorrow.  Hopefully the scale won't go up.

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
Hi Binky04

Have you tried water aerobics?  I have psoriatic arthritis and most of the time it hurts to do to much exercising.  I really have to reserve my energy for everyday things to.  Water aerobics is so much easier on me than any other kind.  Even if you just swim around...it does a world of good.   I really feel so much better when I go.  Sorry for the pain that you have..... I sure know what it is like to have pain that keeps you from doing what you want.  That is the best thing about this lifestyle though... I have lost all of my weight so far without doing any exercising....I would probably lose faster if I did but most days I really can't do it.  Not if I want to do other normal daily things to...LOL    ;)

binky04

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Hi Binky04

Have you tried water aerobics?  I have psoriatic arthritis and most of the time it hurts to do to much exercising.  I really have to reserve my energy for everyday things to.  Water aerobics is so much easier on me than any other kind.  Even if you just swim around...it does a world of good.   I really feel so much better when I go.  Sorry for the pain that you have..... I sure know what it is like to have pain that keeps you from doing what you want.  That is the best thing about this lifestyle though... I have lost all of my weight so far without doing any exercising....I would probably lose faster if I did but most days I really can't do it.  Not if I want to do other normal daily things to...LOL    ;)

I've never tried water aerobics.  I did use the elliptical plus arm exercises last night and the scale didn't go up.  I'm thinking about just exercising every other day to see what happen.  I so understand about the daily pain.  Road trips are extremely hard on me too.