Author Topic: Slow weight- loss  (Read 3932 times)

joagain

Slow weight- loss
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
  I just read the book Why we get Fat by gary taubes very good & interesting he follows low carb which like  FTS 20 carbs or less  I just read that he said
"" if you dont lose any weight for months not to ever give up because your body is trying to conteract a regulatory disorder of fat metabolism, one that has been years in the making Reversing the process might take more then a few months or even a few years the change alone will make you healthier even if not smaller . .

Which i know Doug & umpa tell us this all the time ,but this actually said months which is what I do I lose like a pound or two a month  .

Just found this interesting and might be helpful for others that lose slow or when the newbies weight loss slows down . ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:34:31 AM by umpa »

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Jo, my husband said that the body keeping stores of fat goes back to the day of the caveman LOL.  When times were lean the body kept the fat so that they would survive.  He also said that women had more fat because they needed it to nurse the young and still survive.  Just thought I would share his thoughts LOL.   :D
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

joagain

suz tell him thanks for telling us women that we have more fat LOL  cause we didnt know that

Men kinda love em   ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
suz tell him thanks for telling us women that we have more fat LOL  cause we didnt know that

Men kinda love em   ;)

::) ::) ::)  how true LOL

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slow weight- loss
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
 :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
Hi Jo! :)

I believe Gary Taubes is on to something.

Metabolic Syndrome (aka Syndrome X) is what happens to many folks who eat too much sugar (carbs) for too long and gain a large amount of weight.
This syndrome's symptoms include abdominal obesity, elevated serum triglycerides, low HDL (good) cholesterol, hypertension (elevated blood pressure), and elevated fasting blood glucose.
Before I found FTS, I was a victim of this disorder.

The process of losing weight is reversing effects (like Metabolic Syndrome) of a bad high carb diet that developed over a long period of time.
Our bodies are making metabolic changes we cannot see as we lose FAT.
If we follow the FTS rules and our scale weight remains fairly constant for periods of time, we should not be alarmed or discouraged.

While our bodies are "healing", we must be patient with them.
For the majority of folks, reversing obesity takes a fair period of time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:51:19 AM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

marylepera

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - lepera.mary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
Hi Jo,

It's so funny you posted this, I was reading some back posts (feeling rather blah because I wasn't losing)  I came across a post that the member said she was going to quit eating the fts way.  Doug jumped right in and asked her "To do what?, you lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks doing pretty much nothing"  It hit home so hard, that I picked up the FTS book and reread it.  I asked myself... Do you want to be the cow,  Or would you rather be the Panther?  I'm going for the Panther!

Mary

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
Mary, don't let the numbers get you down.  I can go as much as week and stay the same or even gain.  Then just like this morning.....wow I dropped again.  Seriously, it goes ON a lot easier and faster than it comes OFF (the weight I mean LOL).

Suz

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Yay Suzlyn!  You've lost almost 20 pounds!  :o  Way to go!!

Mary, I agree.....You know, I would LOVE to lose really fast like Sherripie did, but unfortunately my body just won't do that.  :-\  I told someone just the other day.  Whether I lose it fast or slow, I will continue to eat the FTS way.  After all, I got nothing else to do!  ;D  ha ha

Now if I could stay down to like 12 carbs a day, I could probably speed things along.  I just love to EAT!  :P  I am enjoying myself, and losing a little weight along too!...so I am happy! 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:14:52 PM by Maddysmom »

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Thanks Maddysmom,   :D

Like I told Mary it seems really slow coming off, I've been doing this since July 6th.  But I'm with you, as long as it's still coming OFF.  I agree with the 12 carbs or lower.  I read a post by Katary where he planned a 0 carb "week".  I'm not sure how he would have done that and had any veggies.  I quit buying the RS candies because I was eating too many.....now it's the nuts (darn); hope I can keep some in the house LOL.  ::)  It's a good thing I like protein (meats mostly).... oh well I still feel good as I figure I am about 1/3 of the way to my goal.  This will be the first time that I plan to follow thru and NOT gain it back.

Suz

joagain

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Yall girls listen up if I can stick with FTS for over a year and only lose what I have anybody can . Just like Tony said we  or should I say I am having to reverse years of damage that I have done to my body .

I like Jan like to eat and eating low carb you still get to eat good food and lose weight . Nobody loses weight like Sherriepie ,  >:(  (stomping feet )   couple of the  guys lost like 100 in a year (Lucky boys ) but for most of us  we just have to putt putt along at or own pace and let all that horrible carb damage fix itself .

I feel better then I have in years  & when I seen that in the book  it just made so much sense to me and I am glad that it helped you Mary !!!

So lets just keep on keeping on the FTS Low Carb Train  !!!!!!  LOve Yall Girls & Tony !!! ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
Well said!!!  I hear that train a comin'.... :D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
Thank you Jo!   You inspire me.  I LOVE all of you folks too!!  I seriously would not have stayed on this train had it not been for this forum.    ".....it's a rollin round the bend!"    ha ha

Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:20:36 AM by Maddysmom »

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
The little train that could!!!  LOL  ;D ;D

marylepera

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - lepera.mary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
Now I have the erge to listen to Johnny Cash!

I think I want to spend a day or two with Sherriepie!  She's my new idol! 

You know we are all doing so well, I praise Doug everytime I can, I was keeping his book on my coffee table but... now I keep it in my carry all bag (yes I feel like my mother now with a bag full of goodies)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think my hubby is a little jealous because I'm alway jumping on the forum to see who's on and what everybody is saying (he's not computer savvy, so he has no idea how to even get on here.)  I wish he would just to read how happy we all are, and how much we depend on each other!

Talk to you soon.

Mary