Author Topic: need to vent!  (Read 7382 times)

marylepera

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - lepera.mary
    • View Profile
    • Email
need to vent!
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
Hi Guys,  So I went shopping with my son Joe today, just picking up a few things when Joe my great weight loser came over to me with a container of ICE CREAM!  I said no!  he actually started arguing with me in the middle of the store.  I thought he put it back, but... on the way to the car, I realized he had purchased the ice cream, and had it in his own bag.

So... I explained to Joe that I had gotten rid of all the junk food in the house, and now he was going to bring this in.  Joe responded that I am now the mom that controls what her kids eat, and makes them lose weight.

I almost burst into tears in the car.  I was just shocked that he who has been so excited about the weight loss was now going to eat ice cream.

I think I may have said something not nice about not wanting to be the fat mom with the fat kids and fat husband any more!  Oh fine I did say it.  Now he's in his room, Ice cream in freezer and he's pouting.  I'm feeling rather down right now, and I'm not sure what to say without hurting his feelings.  But at the same time, I really don't want him to fall into a food slump. 

HELP!!!!

thanks,  Mary

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: need to vent!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
Well Mary......sounds like you are afraid of hurting Joe's feeling when in fact it sounds like he in turn has hurt your feelings too.  You are working very hard here and this would definitely make you feel unappreciated (IMHO).  Leave him alone.  Continue to do FTS, for yourself and for the family.  I'm not sure what to do with the ice cream at this point ...  will let someone else address that issue.  I am wishing you the best and sending you hugs again!
Suz
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

marylepera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi Suz,
Your right he did hurt my feelings, I just left the bathroom from drying my eyes and blowing my nose.  BRAT!  You are also right about me continuing what I'm doing.

As for the ice cream I suppose he is going to have to realize what a mistake that was on his own.  I'm pretty sure that come his next weigh in, he's not going to be very happy.

Thank you for your on going support, I don't know what I did without all of my new family members in the past. 

Mary

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Mary. :(
Kids can be really mean sometimes. But most of the time, it's not from the heart. It's just frustration.

Is it possible there is a favorite food he's missing?... It does sounds like it.
Have a talk with him and ask him if he misses anything.
If so, post it on "Ask Umpa" and she'll help you out.

If it's ice cream, buy some low carb ice cream and smother it with Hershey's SF Chocolate syrup, 0 carb whipped cream, and some crushed pecans.
I'm willing to bet he'll like it a lot!

Suz is right.
You can only do this for yourself.
As far as others, you can only set a good example and guide the way. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

StephB313

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
Hey Mary---it's hard being a parent.  Life is crazy enough, and we have to be responsible for ourselves and it seems, everyone else.  It can get a little nuts.  I know that I've gone off the deep end when feeling stressed or when my rules aren't being followed, or just because.  Some days are just harder than others to keep our feelings in check.

Put yourself in your kid's shoes for a minute.  He's a teen?  His brain is already a little crazy---and they tend to want more control over themselves AND feel we exert too much control.  In a way, that's right--but mostly for their own good, and mostly with our hearts in the right place.  But they are also pretty damn fragile at this age, though they'd never admit it--and they know where they are lacking and what they could improve upon--they want to be accepted.  It's hard enough to be accepted by their peers, but being called FAT by his own mom, well, that must've hurt.  If it's true, he knows it.

What I'd do first is apologize for calling him and the rest of the family fat.  I'd tell him I was sorry for venting and that I loved him no matter what size, shape, or color he came in.  Then I'd remind him that I was trying really hard to lose weight and be good, and the thought of ice cream in the house made me a little nuts--the temptation!  :)  And I'd give him a big hug and tell him I loved him, loved the family, and just wanted to do what was best, even if I didn't always handle it the best way.

If he's doing really well, I'd cut him a little slack.  Just like the rest of us, this one ice cream binge isn't going to make or break him.  I'd let the ice cream incident go this time and just keep on track the best you can.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:00:13 PM by StephB313 »

joagain

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
Throw that ice cram away and take him to the store get him some carb samart  vanilla & chocolate . Tyler eats that everynight .

Mary he still is a child and you can not expect them to eat 20 carbs a day . Tyler has the bad luck  of being Type 1 diabetic but is still a kid and wants ice cream . I would not let him eat that we still or the parents plus it will just start his cravings all over . He has done so well .
  We all say things we shouldnt or regret just say your sorry and maybe you could tell him you didnt want him to be miserable like you have been .
You know &  ll know this we dont have to be reminded we are fat . Neither does Joey  :(

I always say I wash it & dress it everyday I know what is here . Tell me something I dont know !!! >:(

If he has 1/2 cup serving of each flavor with SF chocolate syrup & whip cream he will be happy I promise . And it will only be 8 carbs .
Or 2 servings of vanilla with some cut SF reese cups ut up in it like a blizzard .  Take him tonight after you throw the ice cream in the garbage or both of you melt it in the sink .

Mary Tyler homeschools also does Joey have a facebook maybe he & tyler can talk or does he have PS3  if he does I can get tylers name thing and they can play & talk to each other .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:04:20 PM by joagain »

marylepera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
Thank you, everyone that responded. 

I am going to sit down with Joe in a while (he's out with some friends) and have a nice talk with him.  You all are right, it's not easy...

I think taking Joe to the store with me is a bad idea.  It's so tempting for me, I can't imagine what it's doing to him!  Steph you made some great points, and I am going to calm down a bit when talking to him, and think before I speak.  Do you know how often I tell my kids to do the same thing?  Err

Joagain, Joe's facebook is Joseph LePera we live in Pa.  He will be thrilled to make a new friend, tonight is the first time in I don't know how long that Joe is going out with some kids his own age.  Now I'm praying that he has a good time.

Ugh being a parent can be so hard.  My oldest came home tonight to pick up some things he left behind when he moved out this week, and I just finished posting the whole ice cream post, he walked in the dining room, and burst out crying!  Poor kid... he probably thinks I'm crazy...

binky04

• I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
I hate that you're having to deal with this Mary. I'm sure this is causing you a lot of stress.  I agree that he shouldn't eat the ice cream. The low carb version is so much better for him.  Hopefully everything will get better once you talk with him.  Good luck!

marylepera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
Thank you Blinky,

I think once Joe is home, I'll have my little talk with him, and call it a night.

Love you guys, I really don't know what I would do without you!

Mary

joagain

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
Have a good night it will be better in the morning tell him who Tyler is ,even though tyler is not overweight he is on what kids would call a diet that he can never get off .

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:17:29 AM »
I don't think I could add much more to help beyond what others have here.... I just wanted to show my support Mary.  Being a mom is for sure the hardest job there is.  Hang in there girl.... I'm sure he will see that you were just trying to do what is best for him.  Kids are pretty smart.  For sure show him the better choices (Carb smart, homemade shakes, Umpa's ice cream etc...)  and if he decides to pick wrong it wont take long for him to notice when he isn't losing or worse gaining again.  You really want him to be able and want to pick the right things on his own.   Maybe ask him to write a list of things he is missing and we can help find replacements?  That would help give him the feeling of more control over his choices.  Just something to think about  ;)   Take a deep breath and know that tomorrow is a new day.  We are here for you....   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
Mary my kids are 26,31,33.My opinion is alot different.Kids need their parents to be parents and not friends.Unless he has a job you are purchasing the food for the family.It is your job to make healthy choices for your son.If he wants to use his own money to buy ice cream let him. He only has so much money how much damage can he do?But stick to your guns.We are talking the health of your child.Heart disease,diabetes,and high blood pressure.No kid wants to be the fat kid.There are replacements for everything.I will help you.But as parents we have to walk our talk.Set an example and be strong. :)

marylepera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
Hi, and thanks again for your thoughts.  I did appoligize to Joe last night when he came home.  He said he understood why I got up set, but... he wanted the ice cream when he was in the store.  He agreed that maybe he should pass on the food shopping trips for a while.

Again, thank you for all of your help.  Yesterday was just one of those off days for me, glad you guys had my back.

Mary

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
Mary my kids are 26,31,33.My opinion is alot different.Kids need their parents to be parents and not friends.Unless he has a job you are purchasing the food for the family.It is your job to make healthy choices for your son.If he wants to use his own money to buy ice cream let him. He only has so much money how much damage can he do?But stick to your guns.We are talking the health of your child.Heart disease,diabetes,and high blood pressure.No kid wants to be the fat kid.There are replacements for everything.I will help you.But as parents we have to walk our talk.Set an example and be strong.

I agree Umpa...parenting is hard work but kids need guidance not friends!  We are the best role models that our children have. Good luck with Joe!

marylepera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
UP DATE!!!

Joe slept in today, he just came down and we had a little finish up of our talk last night.  I said oh by the way don't forget to weigh yourself.

Ummmm Joe has lost 15 pounds in three weeks!!! ;D ;D ;D  We have made the choice to toss the ice cream together, and post a big note on the frige that states "GOOD CHOICES MAKE HAPPY PEOPLE" 

He asked that I post this good news for all my friends to see, and to thank Mr. Doug for writing this book.  I"m crying right now, so I'm going to log off.

Thanks again.