Author Topic: Half marathons and doing low carb anyone out there do it?  (Read 1859 times)

Donna59annoD

• View Profile
Half marathons and doing low carb anyone out there do it?
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
I am wanting to try to do my race next week while doing low carb. I have been eating low carb on and off for over a year. I feel great when I eat low carb, but I am scared to walk my half marathon with no carbs. I think its mainly because the idea of carb loading gets pounded into your system. This will be my 6th or 7th half marathon, so I wanted to try something different. I am starting the low carb today and my race is next sat. Is that too soon to try and do a half marathon without carbs, maybe my body wouldnt have enough time to adjust?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Half marathons and doing low carb anyone out there do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Carb loading is a myth ,carbs burn too quick.Long distance runners eat lots of protein because its a slow constant  energy burn.Weight lifters too.Your 20 carbs per day and increased protein and fat will suit you just fine ;) Let alone the stored fat on your body ,thats fuel too ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
Hi Donna! :)

Umpa is absolutely correct.

Back in college, my football coach preached about the importance of eating a diet high in proteins and low in sugars (i.e. carbs).
Carbs will give you a VERY temporary energy lift, but shortly after, your metabolism will crash.
Obviously. this "carb up" scenario is NOT good for athletes who expend large amounts of energy for sustained periods of time.

I believe the "carb up" myth was created by those same group that told us eating enriched breads and pastas was healthy for us.

After getting past "sugar detox", if you stick with the FTS rules, you'll find your energy levels will increase dramatically.
I'm 59 years old. And have found that I can keep up with my sons (most of the time).
This is thanks to FTS!!! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

Donna59annoD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »
thank you! I started to today so I should be good by next saturday and pass the detox phase. I think eating more protein will make more sense for my body and I wont have a sugar crash during the half way point. I just wanted to be sure because 13.1 miles is alot to me and low energy will only make it worse.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
13.3 miles you should put a couple protein bars in your pocket.Make sure there are no sugar alcohols though(unless you are taking a potty).I like ultimate nutrition. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
Hi Donna, one of our very successful weight loss forum members is scottinflorida. He's also an avid runner. I suggest you look him up in the membership, click  his Envelope and send him an e mail. He's a great guy and I'm certain he'll be happy to give you his opinions.  ;) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Donna59annoD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
Thank you doug, I will check that out!