Author Topic: Chinese hot & sour soup  (Read 3659 times)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chinese hot & sour soup
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »
Hi Umpa!!  Do you already have a recipe for hot & sour soup?  If so, I would LOVE to try it.   If not, please don't go to any trouble creating one right now.  Later on after the holidays when it gets really cold, it would be SO tasty!         

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chinese hot & sour soup
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Oohh. Maddysmom  I had forgotten about that.   I do love hot and sour soup and haven't had it in so long!  Hope Umpa can find one for us! :)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:59 PM »
Yes please!   ;D ;D  Love that stuff, would like a recipe for at home very very much!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Post a recipe and i will convert it when I get to The Keys ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Or sooner if I can make it in the camper :D

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
4 dried Chinese fungi (about 1 ounce), such as wood ears or cloud ears
2 tablespoons canola oil
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon red chile paste, such as sambal oelek
1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, sliced
1/4 pound barbecued pork, shredded
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Pinch sugar
2 quarts Chinese Chicken Stock, recipe follows
1 square firm tofu, drained and sliced in 1/4-inch strips
3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Chopped green onions and cilantro leaves, for garnish
Directions
Put the wood ears in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes to reconstitute. Drain and rinse the wood ears; discard any hard clusters in the centers.
Heat the oil in a wok or large pot over medium-high flame. Add the ginger, chili paste, wood ears, bamboo shoots, and pork; cook and stir for 1 minute to infuse the flavor. Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small bowl, pour it into the wok and toss everything together - it should smell really fragrant. Pour in the Chinese Chicken Stock, bring the soup to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for 3 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir until smooth. Mix the slurry into the soup and continue to simmer until the soup thickens. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in 1 direction to get a current going, then stop stirring. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs in a steady stream and watch it spin around and feather in the broth (it should be cooked almost immediately.) Garnish the hot and sour soup with chopped green onions and cilantro before serving.
Chinese Chicken Stock:
1 (4-pound) whole chicken
1 bunch green onions, halved
4 garlic cloves, smashed
3-inch piece fresh ginger, whacked open with the flat side of a knife
1 onion, halved
1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
About 3 quarts cold water
Put the chicken in a large stockpot and place over medium heat. Toss in the green onions, garlic, ginger, onion, and peppercorns. Pour about 3 quarts of cold water into the pot to cover the chicken by 1-inch. Simmer gently for 1 hour, uncovered, skimming off the foam on the surface periodically.
Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and pass the stock through a strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove the solids and excess fat. Cool the chicken stock to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator, or chill it down over ice first.
Yield: About 2 quarts

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
This is a low carb recipe thanks for posting it beth.The bamboo shoots are only 2 1/2 carbs per cup.The only item you have to remove is the cornstarch.It can be replaced with gluccoman powder or another thickening agent. this makes a big serving ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
WOW!!  I had no idea that hot & sour soup would have SO many ingredients!  Hmm....If the chinese restaurants use a recipe anywhere close to this, we could probably just have a cup from time to time!       

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
If you are in a chinese restaurant and need something this soup,or egg drop is a good choice.The dishes on the menu that are meat and veggies are fine too just have them cooked without sauce.I like beef and broccoli.There are alot of people with MSG allergies so chinese restaurants have no problem doing this.Just don't have any fried wonton on the table ;)