Author Topic: Jicama mashed potatoes turns to dressing ??  (Read 4726 times)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Jicama mashed potatoes turns to dressing ??
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
I had purchased 2 jicamas and was trying different ways to cook them.  I wanted turkey (I know...I couldn't wait 1 week LOL  :o)...anywho...thought Jicama mashed pototes and turkey, why not?  Below is how I cooked the Jicama and husband suggested the modification to make it taste like dressing.  It is a little higher in carbs than I would want for turkey day so I plan a trial run with Joagain's cornbread dressing soon.  But, for flavor and texture this isn't bad.

The diced onion, the celery salt and the poultry seasoning are the suggested seasonings that hubby came up with (go figure).  I cooked mine in the microwave on 50 percent power and it was crusty around the outside edge.  Made 2 servings.

FTS HOLIDAY JICAMA DRESSING

1 Cup      Diced Jicama
2 Cups   Chicken Broth
1 Cup   Water
3 Tbl   Frozen Diced Onion   

2 Tbl   Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbl   Butter
Pinch   Celery Salt
1/8 tsp   Poultry Seasoning (more if you prefer)
Pepper to taste

Cook first 4 ingredients in sauce pan on high for about 15 minutes then turn to low and simmer on medium heat until all but 2-3 Tablespoons of liquid has cooked off.  Jicama will be mostly cooked but still a little crunchy.

Place butter in food processor and pour cooked jicama with broth over butter.  Add heavy whipping cream, poultry seasoning, pepper and celery salt.  Blend until creamy (like mashed potatoes).
Mix will be somewhat moist now but after baking in oven or microwave will have browned edges like dressing.

Place in microwave or oven safe dish.  Microwave on 50 percent power for about 10 minutes or bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Jicama mashed potatoes turns to dressing ??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
What a good idea :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
I wonder how this would work with turnips?
Don't have jicama around here. :'(
What you do today is what matters!

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
I wonder how this would work with turnips?
Don't have jicama around here. :'(

Tony, not sure...but you never know until you experiment LOL  ;)

When I try all these different recipes and have the learning curve of preparing foods FTS it makes me appreciate all the work that Umpa and Doug go thru preparing and compiling the books.  As I cook or bake I always have a pen and paper handy to write down the ingredients and how much so I can calculate total carbs later.  Then, of course, once the dish is done there's always the MESS and cleanup.  There are days that I spend the whole day in the kitchen, I call it my "food prep" day.  I fix something and then do a cleanup, fix something, more cleanup.  The advantage is that I can usually prepare 3-4 days worth of meals which does help during the week.

I can only imagine what Umpa and Doug go thru LOL.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
We do not put up any recipe that we have not cooked.I hate when people do that.Its alot of work,BUT we get to eat the food!! :D ;)

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »
mmm I love food  ;D ;D ;D

I'm finding all the measuring and mixing & cooking & serving are almost more fun though!

I NEVER have used any measuring in my cooking, except with baking. No joke! My Great-grandmother cooked that way as well, so couldn't tell you how anything that came out of hers or my kitchen tasted good; but it did and does! lol  She was always quite slender as well...hrrmmm :/

But having a blast learning to measure, and it is a great education on serving sizes for sure!
I also just got a Kitchen Ninja...great device, I have three blenders in one! yeah! I'm having TOO much fun with food now! Look Out!  hahahaha

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:12:59 PM »
mmm I love food  ;D ;D ;D

I also just got a Kitchen Ninja...great device, I have three blenders in one! yeah! I'm having TOO much fun with food now! Look Out!  hahahaha

You must have the same Ninja that I have.  What a great tool.  I have made the caulirice, milkshakes, ground pork rinds, ground almonds from Sam's and a number of other reasons to pull it out of the cabinet.  Love my Ninja.  I'm using kitchen utensils now that I've had for years and used to never touch.  One of my all time favorites lately is the rubber "spatula".  They've laid in the drawers forever but now I've bought more.  The spatula gets all the goodies left in the bowl so much better than a spoon.  With FTS supplies being so costly and if I'm allowed that 1/10th of a carb that might be floating in the bottom of that bowl, I'm getting it LOL  ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
For dressing substitute this was just "okay".  My favorite so far is to make Joagain's cornbread recipe and use it to make my dressing.  I sauteed the chopped onions and celery in the broth, along with poultry seasoning and sage.  Add just a small amount of xanthum gum to thicken and pepper to taste.  Poured it over half of the cornbread recipe and baked at 20 minutes at 350.  Thanks Jo, both your cornbread and cornbread stuffing will be on our Thanksgiving table this year along with TooSweet cranberry sauce.  Yummmmmmm  :D