Author Topic: Turnips~!!! OMG!!! Turnips! :)  (Read 8147 times)

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turnips~!!! OMG!!! Turnips! :)
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
So, I just cooked and ate turnips for the very first time in my life, and OMG! They are SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! My son says they taste just like a potato to him lol
I made a stew with elk meat, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, mushrooms and some herbs n spices, every body wanted seconds! I'm truly amazed. this will be a new staple, since I have not been that impressed with the Jicama, and it's hard to find..and I have missed that potato-y textured type veggie:) woop woop! so excited tonight! Next time would like to throw in a red bell pepper or some tomatoes to add some color. Very impressed with my little turnip freind lol btw...does ANYONE know carb count for this little tuber???

We made some turnip fries, haven't tried them yet..we are all so full :)

On a side note, I missed you guys. been a tough past few weeks. Thanksgiving de-railed me a little, and the carbs started sneaking back in..so my 4 whole pounds shrunk to 1.5 :( bad me.  ::)

I also had a funeral last week, my foster sister, AND then yesterday, was suffering the effects of my polycystic ovarian disease, it is very painful, and didn't help my attitude. which the diet to ease the symptoms for THAT is ALSO low carb/high protien. What did I do?? Ate high carb/sugar comfort foods, and made it worse. urgh!

But I am back again, I'm a danged stubborn girl, and I REFUSE to give up!!! I will NOT let this sugar addiction win! I WILL beat this weight :) You ALL are in my prayers, and I thank you for all of your inspiring thoughts and words, y'all are TRULY an amazing group of people

jess

• Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turnips~!!! OMG!!! Turnips! :)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
Hey zombie girl.  You are awesome!  Great to see you back here!  You know, we all get derailed at times, but you just pick back up and start over.  You are in my prayers :)
Let go and let God

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:40:38 AM »
Oh yeah!  I like turnips too!  Jicama is easy to find here in my town, but I am just not crazy about the crunch....no matter how long I cook it.  ha ha  So, yes, turnips make a great substitute for potatoes.  Mashed cauliflower is still my favorite side dish.

As for Christmas, I will be making it through with a big ole chocolate cheesecake, and low carb sausage balls!  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:17 AM »
Zombiegirl all will be well.All of us slip from time to time including me.Just start over you have the secret ;) I am sorry for your loss.

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
Thanks everyone! This is why I can't stay away, you are all so awesome! lol I made the pumpkin muffins with soy flour, and made like a cake with it, but it wasn't very sweet, so it was more liek a bread, but absolutley delicous! I'm hoping I can get back into some good habits before Christams hits, There is always low carb options, I just need the will power to stay away form the sugar when we all go to family's for Christmas dinner!!! I will check out the carb counter, and I think I also need to invest int he meal plans, because If I don't have somehting right then and there, I can get derailed as well :/

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
If you like turnips here are a couple of recipes from old posts that I love. The first one is Crispy Turnip Fries.  Owensmath posted this recipe somewhere.    I cooked the fries longer than the recipe said and turned them part way through so they didn't burn.  I use olive oil or canola oil instead of vegetable oil, but that is my preference.
Here it is:  http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/crispy-turnip-fries/Detail.aspx

Also Beebs posted a recipe for Cheesy Turnip Casserole on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  I had it in my recipes on my computer so I just copied and pasted it for you.  A great recipe too:

CHEESY TURNIP CASSEROLE - Beebs

One pound of turnips (4c) (20 carbs)
(You can shred or cube them whichever you prefer, boil until tender!)
1/2 cup melted butter(mix together)
Mix 1/4c onions (2.5carbs)
1pt sour cream (2 net carbs per 2 tblsp?)
1 can cream of mushroom  soup( make your own) - I use Alfredo Sauce
6oz. grated cheese (0 carbs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Mix with turnips and put in greased casserole dish
mix together with 2c crushed pork rinds(optional)
1/4c melted butter
sprinkle pork rind/butter mix over turnips
bake @350 45-60 minutes!
30.5 carbs total makes 12, 2.5 carb servings!
 Hope you enjoy it
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:19:54 PM by ShihTzuMom1 »

zombiegirl74

• January 15th 2011
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
THANK YOU poopzumom! I am very excited for the turnips  ;D best thing since the OMM for me LOL our first attempt at turnip fries didn't turn out so well, but I am willing to try again ;) You look fabulous in your picture :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
You can cook them in a frying pan like you do home fries too or roast them in the oven ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »
Darn it!!!... I'm out of turnips! >:(
Well, I guess it's back to the grocery store.
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
THANK YOU poopzumom
  Giggle  ;)  Zombiegirl you are too cute !! :D

When I was in high school I had the most beautiful Shih Tzu.  She was the sweetest puppy I had ever seen.  just a tiny white fur ball.  They are so much work though with all the grooming  ;D  

Thanks for recipes ShihTzuMom1!!  I have some in the fridge, now I know what to do with them...yummy  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:00:45 PM by TooSweet »

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
Doug's "swear checker" strikes again.  It happens everytime someone misspells "shih tzu"!!  We love both of these recipes!

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »
 :D :D :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
Nice to know it works! :D :D

ShihTzuMom1