Author Topic: How do we make a roux?  (Read 2185 times)

Marty

How do we make a roux?
« on: December 23, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Making roux is one of my favorite things to do. It feels very 'cookish'. So how do we work it FTS style?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: How do we make a roux?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
Traditional roux's are made by cooking 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour to a golden brown in enough oil to make it creamy. Roux's are then used to thicken soups and stews, most famously Gumbo. Over the years I've thickened my soups and stews without high carb roux's I know it's fun to cook them....all that stirring an transformation however there is simply no place for flour in our life stye.

Xanthan Gum, Glucomannan Powder, Egg Yolks and Okra are all good thickening agents. A little Xanthan Gum or Glucomannan Powder goes a long way so start with very small quantities, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons at a time.in a small bowl mix with liquid from your soup then  stir into hot soups or stews allowing 5-10 minutes to thicken then make adjustments. Whisk egg yolks into chicken or beef stock then slowly bring up the heat constantly stirring until you have a thick sauce then incorporate the sauce into your soups or stews.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:44:45 AM by umpa »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)