Author Topic: Getting on the band wagon  (Read 3166 times)

carleyann

• View Profile
    • Email
Getting on the band wagon
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm Carley, 19, and from Kentucky. Right now, I am 270 pounds, give or take. I've always been the fat kid, and i could never loose weight, no matter how hard i tried to cut calories or exercise. I have a passion for dancing and singing, and would love to make it as a professional, but my weight really gets in the way of that. I also want to be healthy and confident for the first time in my life.

I haven't purchased the book yet, but i am planning purchase the e-book in the next day or so. I know this a very low-sugar, low-carb diet, and I am just wondering how adaptable this would be while I'm living with my parents who for the most part, love buying groceries with lots of sugar and carbs, and love making foods with lots of them? Making meals for myself won't be a problem, but finding foods in the kitchen that will help with this process is a little worrisome to me. Any tips? I would love to hear from you guys! ^___^

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Getting on the band wagon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
Hi Carley, first of all welcome to our family :) Secondly it's time to choose what you want more, sugar and carbs or a singing and dancing career. Once you've made you decision you'll be well on your way. As far as Mom and Dad go, sit them down and explain how important this is to you, then ask them both to read the book...after you of course. It's an easy read and when their done they'll jump on board with you. Make it a family thing  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Welcome Carleyann :) First read the book.We have replacements for everything.If you are ready to do thiswe can help you.Are your parents heavy too?

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
Hi Carley welcome to the FTS family!!  The biggest tip right now is to read the book for sure.  After that you will be able to spot where all the sugar is hiding in those foods that are around you.   You will probably have many other questions from there.  That is one of the reasons this forum is so great besides having such great people on here.  You can get quite a bit of info on the forum so just keep clicking around and reading and be sure to ask any questions you have along the way...someone will be close by to answer.  ;)

To start off until you read the book just stick with meat with no breading (if packaged check carbs) and low starch veggies.

Vegetables

•   Artichoke Hearts      2 net carbs
•   Asparagus, fresh      2 net carbs
•   Beans, green, fresh   3 net carbs
•   Bean sprouts      2 net carbs
•   Bok Choy                   .2 net carbs
•   Broccoli, fresh      2 net carbs
•   Cabbage, all kinds                 1.5 net carbs
•   Cauliflower      1.5 net carbs
•   Celery (2 stalks)      1.5 net carbs
•   Chard, Swiss      1.5 net carbs
•   Chayote squash      2 net carbs
•   Collard greens      2 net carbs
•   Cucumber      1 net carb
•   Eggplant         2 net carbs
•   Fennel         2 net carbs
•   Garlic (1 clove)      1 net carb
•   Jicama         2.5 net carbs
•   Lettuce         .5 net carbs
•   Mushrooms      2 net carbs
•   Okra         3 net carbs
•   Onions         5 net carbs
•   Peppers, red or green   3 net carbs
•   Pumpkin meat      4 net carbs
•   Radicchio                    1 net carb
•   Radishes         1 net carb
•   Scallions         2.5 net carbs
•   Snow peas      3.4 net carbs
•   Spinach, fresh      .3 net carbs
•   Spinach, frozen      2 net carbs
•   Squash, spaghetti      4 net carbs
•   Squash, yellow      1.5 net carbs
•   Squash, zucchini      1.5 net carbs
•   Tofu         2.5 net carbs
•   Tomato (1 small)      3 net carbs
•   Turnip         2.5 net carbs
•   Turnip greens      1 net carb
•   Watercress      0 net carb
FRUIT

•   Strawberries      3.5 net carbs
•   Blackberries      5.5 net carbs
•   Raspberries      3 net carbs
•   Avocado (small)      2 net carbs

If you have to have something sweet just keep a couple of sugar free candies with you.  Just go easy on those... they can cause tummy troubles if you eat to many and with some it will stall your weight loss  :P  Don't be a stranger and ask lots of questions!  We are all in this together....Good luck with your journey to the new healthy and confident you  ;D ;D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
Hi Carleyann!  Welcome to the forum.  I promise when you start reading the book, you will finish it the first night!  It's such an easy read, and it really gets you motivated!  Hey we have something in common!  I weigh 270 right now too!  I started at 376, so I KNOW this program totally WORKS!  You just have to set your head to do this and stick with it EVERY day! ;)  I LOVE eating this way!  Once you get past the first 2 weeks, you will be well on your way!  Merry Christmas!!!   ;D 

Marty

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
Hi Carleyann! Welcome! You hit the jackpot when you found FTS! (How did you find us, by the way?) There are so many recipes and tips here that you could mine for weeks and still have new things to read and try out. This is one plan that WORKS because you don't just subtract foods, you replace them, so you're never left craving. Everybody here has 'been there' or 'are there', so you have lots of support. We're all still trying new things.

I didn't have my favorite macaroni and cheese for years and then I tried Doug's Macafoney and Cheese recipe. It hooked me! I'd make it even if I wasn't living FTS.

Get ready for SUCCESS, girl! :D

carleyann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and support you guys! I'm buying the e-book right now, and I feel like I'm making the right choice with everyone already trying to give me support. :) And thank you TooSweet for the carb chart. It will really help with my progress. ^__^

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
Sure thing  ;)  I guess I should have said that those are for 1/2 cup servings raw unless stated otherwise LOL  Once you have read the book you will see that he is very good at explaining what you need to know....and gives lots of info with links to more.  There is no better day like today to begin the new you  ;D ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
Welcome to the family, Carleyann!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You have found a lifestyle that works and a forum of great folks that will help you make it YOUR lifestyle too. ;)
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
Carleyann how old are you? :)

Marty

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
Umpa, Carleyann said she's 19 in her introduction... ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:15:19 AM »
Awhh....19, just a baby.  Wow.  I wish I had THAT in common with her too!  ;D   Wouldn't it be cool to be 19 and know what we know about FTS!  I would have had ALOT more fun the past 30 years!!  ha ha   

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
Welcome Carlyann, what a beautiful name I had never heard that name before. You have your entire life ahead of you and you can do this, you will be 'thin' before you know it ;D ;D  We are all here for you, there are some very kind wonderful caring people on this forum! Merry Christmas to you! I am in Ohio, about 60 miles from Cinti.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

carleyann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »
haha, it's funny to hear that i'm a "baby". this site has been really helpful so far! i've reduced my carb intake these past few days to 18-20 a day, and have been exercising for an hour a day.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
You are gonna do great CarleyAnn!  ;D If you need my help please ask.