Author Topic: Two days in...  (Read 10843 times)

freeinHim

Two days in...
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
So, I began this journey the day after Christmas and decided that I would record my intake for the past two days to be sure that I'm on the right track...

I've noticed that as long as I eat until satisfied, I am not hungry for a few hours.  On the 26th, I let myself get pretty hungry between meals.  Today while at work, I was satisfied with the 2-egg OMM (eaten at 0630ish) until about 1130 when I was ready to eat.  I ate the GG crispbread and had some water and I was really ready to eat when we were finally able to take lunch around 1245.  Tonight I ate a little more than I intended, but it was all protein, so I'm okay with that.  Considering that I come from a history of eating until stuffed, I feel that I've done really well.

12/26
3 sausage balls early am (I was told after I ate them they had some bisquick in them, so I found a recipe that used 1 c Bisquick and figured the amount of carbs divided into 30 sausage balls) = 2.6 net

breakfast...
2 eggs - 2 net
3 slices turkey bacon - 0
1/2 c steamed kale - 2.3
1/4 c sharp cheddar - 0.4
8 oz almond milk - 0
1 T ghee - 0

lunch...
can of tuna in water - 0
canola mayo - 0
dill pickle quarter - 0.5 (jar says zero)
4 stalks celery - 1.6
handful of almonds (~20) - 1.7

dinner...
OMM made of 1 egg, 1/2 c sausage, 1/4 c flax, ghee - 2.5

TOTAL= 13 net carbs

12/27
bfast...
OMM made of 2 eggs, 1/2 c sausage, 1/4 c flax, 1 T ghee - 3.5

lunch...
1 c broccoli - 4
1-1/2c romaine lettuce - 1.5
1/4 c cheese - 0.4
lite italian dressing - 0
6 oz grilled chicken - 0
1 GG brand crispbread - 2

snack...
tuna in water - 0
canola mayo - 0
3 celery stalks - 1.6
2 dill pickle quarters - 1

dinner...
salmon fillet (5-6oz) made into salmon salad - 0
canola mayo - 0
4 stalks celery - 1.6
2 dill pickle quarters - 1

slice of deli roast beef - 0
1/4 c cheese - 0.4

Total= 17 net carbs

Doug's carb counter book says a dill pickle is 1.9g net carb.  My pickles are quartered whole pickles, so I'll count them each as 0.5g.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:45:18 PM by freeinHim »

shawn116

Re: Two days in...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
It sounds like you are doing great!!  One silly question though... what is ghee?  That is why I love this forum... you learn so many new things  ;D ;D

I might would add to drink lots of water.  My doc told me at least 120 oz a day to keep the kidneys flushed, help keep you full....etc..

I've noticed that as long as I eat until satisfied, I am not hungry for a few hours.
That is good to do.  You want to be satisfied so you aren't tempted,  but watch your portions so they don't creep up like mine do  ;)  I like to use a smaller plate and eat half of what I take.....and take Doug's advice to wait 15 minutes to see if I am still hungry.  Most of the time I'm not.  I always had a bad habit of finishing my food just because it tasted so good.  Now I tell myself that if that is the case I can enjoy it a second time later...LOL

Keep up the good work!!  ;)

freeinHim

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
Thanks TooSweet!

One silly question though... what is ghee?  That is why I love this forum... you learn so many new things  ;D ;D

It's really not a silly question!  :D  Ghee is a clarified butter commonly used in Asian cuisine.  It has something to do with separating the milk fat from butter.  I had to look it up on Google to figure it out.  Anyways, I needed butter one day and saw the ghee at the store so I bought it instead.  It doesn't melt as easily, so it doesn't work well to spread on a OMM, but it works great for cooking.

Thanks for the suggestion about water and sharing your experience.  I do tend to drink quite a bit of water in the morning and evening but I find that during the day when I'm at work, my water intake isn't where it should be.  I will definitely try to increase that today.

I certainly appreciate this forum as well.  I've learned a ton since I started lurking a little over a week ago!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
I had to look it up too!  :D Always be sure to get enough to eat.You should never be hungry .For sausage balls the bisquick is not  needed you can use  just sausage and cheddar.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
Welcome to our Family! All looks good except the bisquick.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
If you really want a substitute for Bisquick, you can use Carbquik.

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2951.msg25791#msg25791
http://www6.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html

I find it's almost as good as the original with very low net carbs (2 per 1/3 cup). 8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

freeinHim

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  The sausage balls were something that a co-worker offered me very early in the morning during my shift at work.  I had one, then asked her what was in them.  She said just sausage, cheese, onion and some spices, so I ate a couple more.  Before I left, I went back and asked her what kind of cheese she used, thinking I would make them. When I asked her again if that was all the ingredients, she said "oh, yeah, there's a little Bisquick to hold them together."  So, I found out after I'd already eaten three, which is why I didn't eat a few more...they were good!  :)

Thanks for letting me know that they can be made without the Bisquick.  I'll try to make them like Umpa suggested, with the sausage and cheddar sometime.

joagain

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »
Here freeinhim this makes a bunch you can half the recipe if you want too .

2 lbs. sausage – I used one mild and one hot- it just added a hint of spicy (find sources for healthy meat)
1 lbs. ground beef
5 eggs
1-1/2 lbs. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion-chopped (optional) just add a little onion powder if you want
1 t. pepper
Mix together and form into 2” balls ( I used the medium size Pampered Chef cookie baller.)

Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking!  Bake 375* for 20-25 minutes.  You can freeze IF you have any leftovers, but the whole family will love them!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:12:20 AM by joagain »

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  The sausage balls were something that a co-worker offered me very early in the morning during my shift at work...

Thanks for letting me know that they can be made without the Bisquick.  I'll try to make them like Umpa suggested, with the sausage and cheddar sometime.

I add ground flax seed to mine (0 net carbs) and use sausage, cheese, and one egg. They turn out awesome!

freeinHim

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 08:45:47 AM »
Owensmath and Joagain...thank you!   ;D   I have put these on my "to make" list!

Fletcher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Sausage balls!!!  I'm going to have to try them!!!  They sound yummy. ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
They are.Don't forget dipping sauces  :)

tommet01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
I made sausage balls the day after Thanksgiving this year, and my wife and girls love them!

2 lbs Breakfast Sausage (Read label for carbs)
8 oz Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Golden Flax Meal
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 egg w/ tsp of Heavy Cream (Mixed)

Roll in to 1/2 dollar size balls
Cook for 20 mins in oven @ 400 degrees F

You can add more or less Meal and Parmesan, depending on the consistency you want.  The Flax meal really made a great substitute for Bisquick.

Gonna make Jalapeno poppers and armadillo eggs for Christmas!  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
Welcome Tommet01! :) I am Umpa Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I have a board on the homepage where I can convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly. I make my sausage balls with no flour. Flax is great though, its very good for you and heart healthy.It also fills you up for hours.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Welcome to the party Tom...Love sausage balls, this is a great recipe!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)