Author Topic: FTS , insulin & [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url]?  (Read 4003 times)

CindyL

• View Profile
Happy New Year! I finished reading the book this afternoon, and am starting this way of eating tomorrow. I am just wondering what experience anyone has had with losing weight this way while on insulin for type 2 diabetes? Have you found that the weight loss is slow? Just want to know what I can expect, so I don't get my hopes up too much and get discouraged. Thanks! Glad to have found the book and website!

joagain

Cindy welcome to the FTS family and want to say one thing that is very important , Dont let the speed of your weight loss detour you from sticking to FTS . Everyone loses different . If you stick to FTS what you will notice is that you will need less & less insulin . I can not speak for Type 2 /insulin but my son(16 ) is Type 1 and he is eating FTS  (most of the time ) he has lowered his insulin to less then half what he was taking .
Are you on a sliding scale for your insulin for your meals ? Cause when you start eating less carbs without lowering your carbs you need to becareful cause when your sugar drops you will have to have sugar to bring it up which will mees with your detox . I am just speaking as a layman let someone that actually takes insulin let you know what they did .
Just be ok with slow weight loss if you are one of the ones that move slow !! FTS makes great changes from the inside out that have nothing to do with weight loss !!!!!!! YOu will feel wonderful like a different person in 2 weeks !!!!!!

owensmath

Hi, Cindy. I have Type 2 diabetes and that is whyi initially started living the FTS lifestyle in April of 2010. I no longer take any medicine to control my diabetes. My hA1c was over 11 when I started and it stays at or below 6.0 now with no meds, just making good food choices. My weight loss has been a lot slower than many others' here on the forum, but I have lost almost 80 pounds so far and I am still going toward my doctor's goal for me as you can see on my ticker. It feels great to gain some control over the diabetes that typically has control over one's entire body. You can do this and start feeling better and in control!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: FTS , insulin & weight-loss?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »
Welcome to the family.....soon you won't need the evil insulin :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

Hi Cindy  Welcome to the FTS family  ;D  Owensmath and Jo have given you great advice!  I would add to make sure you tell your doc that you are changing your diet.  That way you can be prepaired to make adjustments with the insulin.  Those sugar drops sure aren't any fun  :P  Before I started FTS I was taking three meds for diabetes which included insulin.   The bad part was I still didn't have control over my sugar levels  :o  Within about two weeks (probably sooner) of FTS my sugar leveled out and I no longer needed any of my meds with my doctors blessing.  After a couple of months I was able to drop my blood pressure med as well  ;D ;D

I think yes it does cause a slow weight loss.  It just kinda makes since to me, but I'm not a scientist or doctor and I could be wrong.  Here is how I look at it....our bodies have been damaged somehow (diabetes for what ever reason)  and fights to work properly.  This of course causes to much glucose in the blood.  Too much glucose in the blood causes you to use that for energy instead of your body having to look in your fat stores for it.  (This also by the way is why in my opinion most people gain weight while on insulin)  vicious circle  >:( 

It feels so much better now that I have the control back and not my diabetes.    It won't be long and I bet you will to  ;)

CindyL

• View Profile
Thank you all so much for the kind welcome and encouraging responses! I really appreciate it! I am off to a good start this morning, with scrambled eggs, ham and hot tea for breakfast. Really looking forward to this new start. I go to my endo doc on Tuesday for bloodwork before my appointment on the 10th, so it will be good to have bloodwork done now as a baseline for comparison. I will seem him again in 4 months, so it will be exciting to see the difference. My bloodwork last time was pretty good, but I have slacked off the last few months.  :-[
Thanks again! Glad to be here with all of you!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the family, Cindy! :) :) :) :) :) :)

As no two of us are alike, no two of us have had the same experience with our FTS journeys.
One thing is certain... The science behind FTS is solid as a rock!
If you live by it's simple rules, you WILL lose your excess weight and keep if off for the rest of your life.

The big payoff here is the vastly improved health and the "feeling great" that you'll experience.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Cindy!  Welcome to the family!  You will love it here!  ;D

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cindy,

I am a type 2 (or a dormant one now) and I went from 8.4 to 5.4 in less than 6 months.. Just losing 3o lbs makes a huge difference on the body... I was on Victoza and Metformin.. When I was pg I was having to inject 100 cc units.. My pharmacist thought something was wrong with my RX and even call the Dr to verify... Now I dont use anything..

Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
That is so great Alex! 47 pounds you are doing wonderful. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
... I was on Victoza and Metformin.. When I was pg I was having to inject 100 cc units.. My pharmacist thought something was wrong with my RX and even call the Dr to verify... Now I dont use anything..

Hi Alex! :)

Congrats on being off the drugs!

Stress is a killer!
I believe drugs put stress on our bodies (especially livers) and thereby shorten our lifespans.
I'm soooooo happy for you!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And yes... 47 pounds is wonderful! ;)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks. Now its time to reboot. Off to a good start.  Off I go. Taking the whole family on this awesome journey
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

CindyL

• View Profile
That's great that you are off the meds! That is one of my goals for this year. I had my bloodwork this morning, and my dr. appt. is next Tuesday. I'm not expecting it to be very good, but it will be my new starting point. My fasting BS this morning was 80, the lowest it's ever been since I've been checking it. Usually that one is my highest of the day. Day 3 is almost over, and it hasn't been hard at all.

Hope everyone is having a great week!  ;D

shawn116

You are doing great Cindy!! 
Get ready to start getting board checking that BS...LOL  When I first started FTS I thought I was going to spring a leak I was checking mine so often  :o  I was really afraid of what my sugar levels were going to do.  After a while I realized that it just didn't change all that much.  Not like when I was trying to control it with the meds.  Up and down...up and down.  My doctor said it was fine as long as it wasn't way out of whack  ::)  All I can say is WOW I am so glad I'm not on a yo yo any more and I started feeling so much better  ;D 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Good for you, Cindy! :) :) :) :) :)
It's so nice to hear that your body is responding so quickly to eating right!

TooSweet is correct.
The FTS lifestyle puts our bodies' metabolisms in a position to function normally.
Drawing blood and taking drugs are NOT normal to our bodies.

Don't be surprised if your doctor reduces (or removes) your medications in the near future.

I can't wait to hear!

Tony