Author Topic: Nadine's Menu  (Read 6046 times)

NSands

• View Profile
Nadine's Menu
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »
OK, this is what I ate today - comments?

Breakfast
4 slices bacon
1 boiled egg
1 cup of coffee
1 Splenda
3 tsp powdered CoffeeMate

Lunch
Turkey Lunchmeat
2 slices of cheddar cheese

Dinner
4 oz of roasted chicken (no skin)
2 tsp Open Pit Barbeque sauce

64 oz of water
2 pks of Crystal Light

[/url]

joagain

Re: Nadine's Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
Well I dont see any veggies and the coffeemate & BBQ sauce has sugar or carbs  in it . But let the professionals look at it . Just about any carbs you get should be coming from good veggies . ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »
Looks good, but Jo is correct you need to add some low carb veggies into the party, check the book for the list. The coffee mate powder could be replaced  with heavy cream and the forum has a few good low carb BBQ sauce recipes or Walden Farms. :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
You guys missed the splenda ;) Between the splenda and the coffeemate you could have had veggies or a Bakery dessert.

Marty

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
Nadine, your menu looks pretty good for low-carb - added veggies will keep you healthy. You have to start somewhere, so hang in. The thing about first starting FTS is that you need to eliminate all the sugar that you can so your cravings will go away. The sugar in the bbq sauce will keep the craves alive. It takes me three days to quit craving sugar. It's a relief when I can walk by the candy display at the store and not start drooling! :D

Read labels, (I know the Splenda says 0, but it's fibbing) and check Doug's Carb Counter book or look online for nutritional info. Sometimes if a product has 0 carbs for a small amount serving, if you look at the 1 cup size, for instance, you'll find carbs aplenty. That's because the companies don't have to report fractions around .5, so they just get that serving size down there and then claim 0. We have an ongoing discusion about Splenda right now. They've added fiber so that they can claim 0 carbs.

There are lots of great recipes in Doug's cookbook and on this site, so do some mining! I LOVE the Macafoney and Cheese recipe. There's a vidoe of Doug making it on the www.fattoskinny.com site - look under recipes. It might be on the forum under cooking videos, come to think of it... I'll have to look! It was HARD to get rid of all the high-carb food in my pantry - my cupboards were BARE - hence, Mother Hubbard in my signature - but it seems like that's what it takes to free yourself. (My cupboards aren't bare anymore - I stock low-carb now.)

Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here!

NSands

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
Thank you so much.  A large part of my issue is that I am on the road quite a bit and don't cook unless I am at home.  Very difficult to eat low carb.  I always look for a protein and veggie or salad.  I must have coffee, so what do you recommend for a replacement for Splenda?  I will definitely get the heavy cream.  I am determined to do this, but I want to do it correctly so that I will be successful.

[/url]

Marty

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
Lots of places are helping us with our low-carb meals these days. McDonalds will give you a hamburger wrapped in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun. You can always get the grilled chicken or a hamburger and ask the fast-food place to leave off the bun. In restaurants, it's a lot easier because you can choose the grilled whatever and ask for no croutons on your salad, etc. You have to watch some of the salads at fast-foods, and even regular restaurants because they have hidden carbs. The same goes for egg dishes - watch the omlets as they have carbs. Look online at their menus' nutritional information - before you go out - that way you'll know what to order before you get there. I do that so I won't accidentally order the wrong thing and derail myself.

Stevia or Truvia are good replacements for Splenda. I really like the Truvia (packets) - it looks and feels like sugar. Stevia comes in 'bulk' so you can use that for cooking. I use xylitol, too.

owensmath

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »
Torani makes sugar free syrups you can add to coffee. I have used it in hot tea, baking, etc... There are all kinds of favors and they're sweet.

NSands

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Thank you.  I probably need to do some internet searches for sugar-free products.  My choices are very limited at my local grocery store.

[/url]

Marty

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
Amazon sells a lot of stuff. I get xylitol and almond flour there. Netrition.com is a good place, too. I make my own almond flour lots of times with whole almonds and a coffee grinder. Pork skins make wonderful biscuits and bread crumbs. I don't care for pork skins much on their own, but love cooking with them. Try using them to bread chicken for frying. :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
Hi Nadine! :)

Also, stevia is an excellent 0 carb replacement for Splenda.
It's completely natural (not chemical) and tastes wonderful! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
Sherripie turned me on to the Josephs pitas and when I travel they go with me.I grab a sandwich or a burger anywhere and just stuff the pita.Or stop at a grocery store and get italian coldcuts. :)

NSands

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
What an awesome idea.  I know we can ask that sandwiches be made with lettuce wrap, not all of the restaurants accommodate.  Thanks!  You guys are the best.

[/url]