Author Topic: New here...and pretty amazed.  (Read 5371 times)

AliciaInTX

New here...and pretty amazed.
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
Hey guys! I did post in reply to BettyJo's thread but thought I'd do my own little intro. I'm 38 and have stuggled with my weight off and on for most of my adult life. I grew up eating sugar, sugar, sugar and have anxiety and depression and have found that my cravings for sugar directly relate to how I'm feeling emotionally. I think  I was pretty much living for the little bursts of serotonin that I'd get when I'd eat something high in sugar. I am 5'8 and at my heaviest weighed about 220lbs. Right now I'm about 193 (two pounds down this week) and today is my first day on FTS. I got the book in the mail yesterday and read it through and think that this is the best route for me to take forweight loss and health. I did Atkins before and lost 60 lbs but couldn't sustain the willpower it took to stay on it longterm. I NEEDED the sugar to make me HAPPY. I don't want to live for sugar anymore and I'm hoping this new plan will make that easier.

So far today, I've been amazed at how little I've eaten to stay full all day! On Atkins, I'd munch on protein and fat pretty much all day....because I was missing out on my sugar and felt like I could just replace it with the fat and protein. I still lost weight....but it was slow going and I didn't FEEL good. Today, I didn't eat until I was hungry (11am - as opposed to MAKING myself eat a large protein breakfast first thing in the morning!) consisting of two eggs and three strips of bacon and stayed full until 2:15, when I had three slices of salami and two glasses of water. After that, I had a diet soda around 3:50 (not a huge one from the corner store that I usually get, but a 20oz bottle) and stayed full until 6pm, when I ate a bit of the roast that I made for everyone for dinner. I'm NOT HUNGRY and I haven't had to graze all day!  I know I can add a little carbs in here somewhere....but I didn't have any healthy carbs on hand, so I just skipped them. Is that okay or do I NEED to add carbs each day? Because...if I HAVE to, I could totally pick up a sugar free jello and some whipped cream at the grocery store....  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:50:29 PM by Doug Varrieur »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New here...and pretty amazed.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Alicia the reason Fat to skinny works is replacements.We have replacements for everything.Fat to skinny is a lifestyle change not a diet. .Once you find your replacements for your favorite foods there are no foods to add back after you lose the weight.Cycle broken you don't gain the weight back.i have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.I am Umpa,Doug Varrieurs wife.Read the book,ask alot of questions and if I can help you please ask. ;)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Thanks! Regarding replacements, I just ordered some of the GG Bran Crispbreads that Doug raves about in the book and am looking forward to that as a replacement for bread. It sounds great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
There is also the Fat to Skinny Bakery book.It has breads,cakes,pies,cookies,ice cream ,etc. ;)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Thanks, Umpa! I'll have to check it out. I'm a little freaked out about being able to eat the replacement stuff right away. I'm so used to the strictness of Atkins....I worry a bit that it will make my cravings for "the real stuff" go crazy. It may take me a little while to feel like it's REALLY okay.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
Welcome to the family  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »
I agree with Montuen!  The one minute muffin is the bomb!!  You will LOVE it.  Sometimes I add some unsweetened Hershey's cocoa and extra xylitol to make it chocolate!   Other times I make it with flaxseed meal adding cinnamon, cloves and allspice for a spice muffin.  It's amazing with cream cheese on top.

Oh, and if you check out the bakery book, the chocolate cheesecake is one of my favorite things!  SO delicious!!  ;D

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Good advise Montuen  ;)  I love the one minute muffins.  I don't much care for the gg crispbreads.  They are ok just not my fav...  Alicia I might add that if you use the golden flax meal in place of the almond meal it is/or almost a 0 carb depending on the eggs and such that you use  ;D

Once you are a little more relaxed with the basics you will be amazed at all the yummy recipes and foods we can have.  You will do great....by the way go ahead and grab that jello and whipped topping (sugar free of course)  I have it so often I should really think of taking stock in the company  ;D ;D

joagain

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:14:40 AM »
Toosweet I am not crazy bout the GG crisp bread either but everybodies taste is different ! Alici you need to get some veggies in that is where you can get some carbs in Eat lean & greens !!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
In two weeks your cravings will disapeer.Once you have detoxed the sugar out of your system.Enjoy your food you are not being punished ,you are starting a new way of life.In two weeks your energy level will go through the roof and you are gonna feel amazing! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
Hi Again,Alicia! :)

Some great advice.

One thing about GG Bran Crispbread crackers... I found they don't taste like much (or very good) when eaten alone.
When I first tried them, I thought they tasted like compressed sawdust. :P
They are MUCH better with peanut butter (or better yet, 0 carb Beanit Butter), cheeses. meats, sardines, etc..
The more flavorful the topping... The better! ;)

What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
Definitely going to have to try the Beanit Butter! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and warm welcomes, ya'll! I'm feeling pretty good today. I made it through a night of pretty harsh cravings and am patting myself on the back this morning. :) I will definitely get some green veggies at the store today, so I'll be more prepared for the week. I had originally started back on Atkins at the beginning of this week and was prepared for strictly meat, cheese and eggs. I think giving myself permission to eat beyond that will make it so much easier and WAY more enjoyable! :)

Thanks again! You guys are great.  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
You are welcome.if i can help you just ask ;)

Snobles

• Eat to live, not live to eat!
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Hi Alicia! Welcome to the club! A little about me  ;D ever since I was in elementary school, I have battled with my weight. Once I got into high school, and saw that everybody was predominatly "skinny," I did "whatever it took" to get skinny. My mom and I did Weight Watchers, etc....But, in high school, I was "always" busy! I even went so far as starving myself to stay "thin." It wasn't until getting married haveing kids, I woke up one day and realized how much weight I've gained! I was embarrassed! At the time, I was liveing with three diabetics! I was the ONLY one in the house who wasn't a diabetic!! And let me tell you I fought it! LoL...I figured, why should I have to eat like that when I'm not a diabetic? But, slowly over time, i did give in! It didn't make any since anymore to make two meals, plus I felt guilty eating the foods my kids missed infront of them! It didn't last very long till my conscience got ahold of me  ;D I went from 240 to 196! My size 18 petite jeans, are loose on me now! So it is definatly doable! I wish you all the best of luck! My husband went from 345 to 270. Our 17yr. old went from 314 to 296 and our 15yr. old went from 270 to 266!

mimimama

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
Hi, FTS friends. I am new here, too. I saw Doug on Daytime (Tampa,FL) and I was blown away by the visual of the cups of sugar. What a reality check!  :o I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes last year and have pretty much been in denial. But, I made the decision on the day I saw Doug to order the book. I started the plan on Jan. 4 and the scale showed 3 pounds down as of this morning. WooHoo! My goals are to lose 30 pounds & get off Metformin. You have all been very inspiring & informative, I am loving this!