Author Topic: Cauliflower pizza crust!  (Read 5614 times)

AliciaInTX

Cauliflower pizza crust!
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
Not sure if it's been posted here or not but a friend of mine tried this and said it's fabulous. I'm going to have to give it a try on Friday, our weekly Pizza night. Not sure I can talk the kids into it but I think the hubby will be on board! Has anyone here tried it yet?

cauliflower crust pizza
Serves 2; Adapted from this bulletin board.
ingredients:
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)
pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*
directions:
To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.
One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Make the Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
Enjoy!
*Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:59:22 PM by Doug Varrieur »

AliciaInTX

Re: Cauliflower pizza crust!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »
Will have to find a better solution for the pizza sauce, since I'm guessing most are high carb. But...maybe a "white pizza"? With alfredo type sauce and spinach and  frozen seasoned grilled chicken for toppings....maybe with a few shreds of fresh basil on top and a few artichoke hearts and fresh garlic? Yum!!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Here ya go Alicia  ;)  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1538.0   Looks like yours is just slightly different.  Thanks for the reminder that I need to try this.  You are right Marty.... what a fun recipe!!

One of my favorites is a white pizza.  I love to use alfredo sauce but you can use walden farms BBQ sauce, pesto, any low carb pasta sauce or even make my own traditional Pizza sauce.  If you look around though some of the pizza sauces aren't to bad.  Especially if you don't use to much. My Hubs doesn't like to much sauce on anyway.   Just using your imagination is the most fun.  How can you mess up pizza!!   ;D ;D

PS.... I bet the kids would like it if you didn't tell them before hand  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
I like pesto,but you will find your Marinaras are the lowest for reds.For spagetti sauce just add a little sweetener.My spinach bread recipe makes a nice crust too.I like the cauli pizza too.i never met a pizza i didn't like! :D

ES15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
I make something similar to this all the time its delicious. I have a friend who loves it for breakfest as well. I thought I had read somewhere before that you can get 0 sugar pizza sauce but I've never found it. I always cut up turkey pepperoni and veggies. mmm

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
My grandson loves this.Marinaras are usually the lowest.I like pesto as a sauce replacement which I make myself with no pine nuts.If you want pine nuts in your pesto walnuts make a great replacement.We also do a white pie with alfredo sauce ;) Never met a pizza i didn't like.The spinach bread in the Bakery book makes a nice crust too.Just press it in the pan till its thin. ;)

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
Will have to find a better solution for the pizza sauce, since I'm guessing most are high carb. But...maybe a "white pizza"? With alfredo type sauce and spinach and  frozen seasoned grilled chicken for toppings....maybe with a few shreds of fresh basil on top and a few artichoke hearts and fresh garlic? Yum!!

WOW....  ;D ;D Alicia you're makin my mouth water... Sounds so good!!!!!!! :o :o
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
I like pesto as a replacement for pizza sauce too.Dougs alfredo sauce in the book is wicked low.I love it for shrimp or chicken alfredo.I also use it for Augratin Veggies. :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
Pesto with jack cheese.  Yum!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »