Author Topic: Low carb vegetarians?  (Read 4901 times)

froglvr

• View Profile
Low carb vegetarians?
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »
Hello everyone!  I was introduced to this lifestyle by my fabulous neighbor and I am so happy she did!  I read the book and have gotten started (today was day 2).  My question is that I am a vegetarian (well almost, I do eat some seafood, but since I live in TX everyone still calls me a vegetarian). :)

Most of my protein alternatives have some carbs in them which I have been counting as part of my total carbs each day.  I am looking for zero carb veggie protein sources so I can use my carbs for the healthy veggies.  The wonderful neighbor I spoke of earlier shared some Beanit Butter cookies with me that were fabulous, so I will definitely be buying the Beanit Butter.  Does anyone know of any other "must haves" for the vegetarians out there? 

Thanks!

AliciaInTX

Re: Low carb vegetarians?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »
Hi Neighbor! :)

I'm so glad you liked the cookies and SOOO glad that you've decided to do this with me!! :) Welcome to the FTS board!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
Froglvr Welcome! :) I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.We have lots of vegetarians on the fat to skinny program.Since there are all different kinds of vegetarians I need to know what you eat to help with menus.Do you eat eggs or egg products?Dairy?Seafood?Soy?

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi froglvr  I'm not a vegetarian so I don't have any hints for you, but I wanted to welcome you to the FTS family  ;)

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »
welcome froglvr,

Im not a vegetarian,  but I would love to see what is posted since I love veggies..

Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Froglvr!   I'm not a vegetarian either.....but I will say that the mashed cauliflower is AMAZING!  ;)  Of course there's a few carbs, but well worth it.  Hopefully others will chime in to help you out!

Hey....way to go Alicia for sharing FTS with a neighbor!!  I will always be thankful to the person who shared it with ME.  ....and by the way that was Owensmath also here on the forum!  LOVE HER!!!!   ;D   

froglvr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!  I love it! :)

I had a pretty good day but went over by a couple of grams...22 grams today.

Umpa - Thanks for your offer to help!  I do eat eggs, soy and cheese.  I used to eat seafood once a week but I think I am going to have to up that now.  I absolutely LOVE the MorningStar Farms foods but the lowest carb items I can find are 2 net carbs each.

I did have the cauliflower mashed potatoes and they are awesome!  I ate them with a little Smart Balance, salt and pepper = delicious! :)

Thanks again for making me feel so welcome.  I look forward to talking with you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
Boca Burgers are awesome too.You will do fine.HEB carries alot of products.Also check out the asian grocer.com great products.The soy pasta is good but the yam root pastas are better! Try the macafoney and cheese in the book too. ;)

froglvr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
Thanks Umpa!  I will try all of those things.

I really appreciate your help!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
If you need help just ask ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
Welcome to the family, froglvr!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I too, am not vegetarian... But when we all put our heads together, we can usually figure out what we each need.

That's one reason this forum is so cool.
You have the support benefits of those "paid" programs, but it's 100% FREE! ;D ;D ;D

You will always find honest and supportive help here.
Because, we really want to see each other succeed!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

owensmath

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
Maybe you can get some ideas from the previous posts for a member who is Vegan. Some of the information may be helpful, even though that is a little different from vegetarian.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
Rena what was your girlfriends name that was a vegan? :)

owensmath

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
Here is one place where she posted a meal plan.  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2064.0

Rena

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
Rena what was your girlfriends name that was a vegan? :)

TabyandZayBaby ... I think. I know her by her real name, so I always forget her user name. She's been struggling doing the low-carb/vegan combo, but for awhile she was doing really good. She said she was going to get serious again, so I hope whatever she's doing is working for her.