Author Topic: Delicious Veggie Recipes  (Read 5852 times)

HubbaBubba86

• View Profile
Delicious Veggie Recipes
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh, and this is my first time using the forum. I am totally new to this kind of thing, and am relatively new to the Fat to Skinny program. I'm writing this post to get some ideas from some great tasting, low-carb veggie recipes. I like raw veggies dipped in ranch, but that'll get old fast, lol. I'm not really a veggie person, but I know that needs to stop. Can anyone recommend some good recipes? Thanks so much!

"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:19

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Delicious Veggie Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
Hi josh,  I am pretty new also and The best veggie recipe I know is cauliflower mash potatoes with no mashed potatoes. But I add a drop of heavy cream to mine. It is on the home page I think under videos. Its a great video of fried pork chops, green beans and mashed cauliflower. Doug shows you how. Then I also used ground up pork rinds as breading and I bread eggplant and fry them. Yum.
Good luck,,,

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
Hi Josh  Welcome to the FTS forum family!!  I love your screen name...LOL  If you are on the home page you will find the recipe exchange section where everyone shares their different creations or ones the they have found.  Lots of great veggie recipes.  No need to get board with raw and a dip. 
You really can't go wrong with a stir fry with any combo of veggie you like or just plain steamed.  Just watch the portions and carb counts....they can add up quick.  One of my favorite cheese sauces to add is the white dipping cheese you get at the Mexican restaurants or pimento cheese w/ jalapeno....so good.  Just melt in the micro and pour over the top. 
I love to just throw about 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic in some olive oil and saute either green beans, zucchini or any other squash...salt and pepper and I'm in heaven.  ;D
If you are a meat and potato man like my hubs......try the cauli mash that Doug has in the book, add bacon bits and cheese on top....throw in the oven to get bubbly (my hubs favorite way to eat it) it's great without the cheese to though.   
You can also get a chayote squash and (poke holes in it) bake in the micro as you would a potato.  Throw some butter, sour cream, even bacon bits (how ever you like your potatoes)  very good.
Really it all comes down to what veggie you are wanting to try.... by all means search around, there are tons of great recipes on here and in the cook books Doug and Umpa offer.   If you have any questions someone is always hangin around.......Again welcome  ;)

ladyluck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Hi Josh I'm new also my favorite is fried cabbage a little onion break a egg when it is almost done and sprinkle a bit of low carb soya sauce. This is also good with fried ground beef  without the egg.I like to fry ground beef in separate pan then mix.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Welcome to the family, Josh!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was never a big a fan of veggies as I am since I started FTS.

Green salads are the best! Just use low carb, sugar free dressings.
I make one with mayo and SF raspberry vinaigrette. It's also great in cole slaw...YUM!!! ;D

Celery with Beanit Butter is outstanding too!

Looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

HubbaBubba86

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!!

I can already tell that this forum is going to make this new way of eating a lot easier - since there is soo much support!!  ;D ;D

@Mouseissue, Does the Beanit Butter taste like real peanut butter? I've been leary of ordering it. I had boughy Peter Pan PB, because it only has 3g net carbs.

@ladyluck, the fried cabbage recipe sounds really good. I've never fried cabbage before. Do you have to fry it in oil or anything?

@TooSweet, The mashed potatoes (aka cauli) sounds amazing!

"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:19

joagain

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
Hey josh welcome I dont think the beanit butter taste like PB ,My son will not go near it I buy the Peter pan whipped it has 3 carbs per 2 T and low sugar . The beanit butter is good for me only if I am putting it in something .  I dont eat much PB myself . My favorite is to fry cabbage or green beans in Bacon grease .
The next fav is cauliflower in butter then sprinkle while still browning with Parm cheese in the can !!!

HubbaBubba86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
@joagain, both of those sound pretty good. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
... @Mouseissue, Does the Beanit Butter taste like real peanut butter? I've been leary of ordering it. I had boughy Peter Pan PB, because it only has 3g net carbs. ...

Hi Josh! :)

Beanit Butter is made from soy beans.
It has a flavor "close" to real PB.
It is VERY good for being 0 net carbs.

Personally, I like to blend Beanit Butter 50-50 with real PB.
Doing that cuts the PB carb count in half! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

ladyluck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Josh I just use olive oil and a little butter if you like, I bet a little bacon grease would give it lots of flavour.Make sure to shed it nice and fine to cook faster, if I'm really lazy you can buy the bags of coleslaw.I sometime throw in mushroom, or bacon.Good luck on your journey, I'm on one too you sure can't beat the support you get on here.

Rena

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
Welcome, Josh!

The FTS book lists tons of veggies you can eat. I've always been a big vegetable eater, but since starting FTS, I've found I eat even more of a variety (and a little less of some others that I still love like tomatoes, onions, carrots, etc). Don't overlook turnips. You can deep fry or bake those as French fries and they're really good. Chayote is good, too, but harder to find. Jicama is another good one. I can actually find that at Walmart, of all places. I think one of my favorites is mashed cauliflower. My husband doesn't care for it much, which is fine with me because that means I get leftovers for the next day. :)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »
Josh, welcome to FTS!!  A favorite veggie recipe at our house is to steam fresh zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower and broccoli for about 4 - 5 minutes (have a small steamer basket for micro).  After steamed add some butter to taste then top melted Gordo's cheese dip (2 tbl 1 carb).

We've tried the chayote squash and have decided it's okay.  For potatoe and rice replacements we love the cauli rice or cauli mash the best.  On the chayote squash we like it peeled and sliced like apples.  Sprinkle it with xylitol and cinnamon then bake until tender.  That's our fav way to eat it; great side for pork chops.

The shredded cabbage (coleslaw) is great for a quick side and also great to use in stir fry.  I usually start with a little butter and then use 0 carb chicken or beef broth to steam/flavor mine.

If you like salads remember to load them up with all those 0/low carbs extras like cheese, eggs, meats, nuts (jicama is good here too-sweet crunchy).  Check out Ken's low carb dressings, my favs are Creamy Caeser and Buttermilk Ranch 2 Tbl = 1 carb mmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:21:27 AM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
Love your name hubbabubba!I like just saying it! Hi i am umpa,dougs wife :) If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.

HubbaBubba86

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
Hey everyone, it's great to meet you all and a BIG Thanks for all the contributions! There are many delicious sounding veggie recipes that I have to try! I'm gonna have to see if I can find any Jicama or Chayote squash anywhere.

Umpa, I do have a question for you. I have a great recipe for cheesy sausage wontons, and everything is low carb except the wonton wrappers. Do you know where I can find a low carb replacement for wontons? I read somewhere that there is a tofu replacement, but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for what you do.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
check out the asiangrocer.com.If anybody has them it will be them.I love their products.They have yam root pasta products that are great!And great prices too.Let me know if you need more help ;)