Author Topic: Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?  (Read 4489 times)

froglvr

• View Profile
Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »
This came in a newsletter today at work.  Interesting thought...  :-\

Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?
Kathleen Doheny

February 1, 2012 — Americans are eating unhealthy amounts of sugar, and excess sugar should be regulated like alcohol and tobacco, say researchers from the University of California, San Francisco.

"We are now seeing the toxic downside [of excess sugar intake]," Robert H. Lustig, MD, a professor of clinical pediatrics at the UCSF Center for Obesity Assessment, Study, and Treatment, tells WebMD. "There has to be some sort of societal intervention. We cannot do it on our own because sugar is addictive. Personal intervention is necessary, but not sufficient."

His views on regulating sugar are published as a commentary in the journal Nature.

Regulating Sugar: Industry Weigh-In

WebMD asked the Sugar Association, an industry group, to review the recommendations.

Charles Baker, PhD, the association's chief scientific officer, responded by email. "When the full body of science is evaluated during a major review, experts continue to conclude that sugar intake is not a causative factor in any disease, including obesity," he says.

Sugar and Its Effects in Excess

Excess sugar in the diet does not just add calories, Lustig writes. Too much sugar has been linked with health problems, and they occur even in people who are normal weight, he says.

According to Lustig, too much sugar can be linked with some health problems including:

High blood pressure (He says fructose raises uric acid, in turn raising blood pressure.)

Diabetes
Increase in the blood fats called triglycerides
Obesity
Liver problems
Sugar has the potential for abuse, he tells WebMD. "Like tobacco and alcohol, " he writes, "it acts on the brain to encourage subsequent intake."

A key point: Lustig is talking about added sugars, not those naturally occurring in such foods as fruit or milk. He defines added sugar as ''any sweetener containing the molecule fructose that is added to food in processing."

Men should eat no more than nine teaspoons of added sugar a day, according to the American Heart Association. Women should eat no more than six teaspoons.

A typical 12-ounce regular soda includes about eight teaspoons of sugar, according to the AHA. The average intake of added sugars in the U.S. is about 22 teaspoons a day.

Regulating Sugar: Perspective

"The commentary should be a wake-up call to policymakers," says Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, the Paulette Goddard professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health at New York University.

She reviewed the commentary for WebMD. "He has the science to back it up," she says of Lustig's suggestion that it is time to regulate sugar.

"That Americans would be healthier consuming less sugars is obvious and easily demonstrated," Nestle tells WebMD. "Sugars themselves are not harmful if eaten with other nutrients, as in fruits, and in diets that balance calories.  But it's hard to balance calories when eating a lot of sugars."

Some people eat so much sugar that it adds up to half their daily calorie limit for maintaining weight, Nestle tells WebMD.

"At the very least, the FDA should require listing added sugars on package labels," Nestle says.

A good first step for anyone trying to reduce sugar, Nestle says, is to cut back on or cut out sugary drinks.

Sugar: How to Regulate?

Models used to regulate alcohol and tobacco could work for sugar, Lustig says.

His suggestions:

Tax sugary foods. (The soda tax is already being considered, he notes. To work, he says the tax must be hefty, such as a $1 tax on a $1 can of soda.)
Limit availability. Licensing requirements on vending machines could be stricter.
Set an age limit for the purchase of sugary drinks and foods.
The FDA could help, he says, by removing fructose from its GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list. This allows food makers to add it without premarket review and approval.

Spelling out the amount of added sugars on the Nutrition Facts label would also help, Lustig says. Although total sugars are listed on the label, it does not spell out the amount of added and the amount of natural.

Regulating Sugar: FDA Response

"A change in the GRAS status for sugar is not currently under consideration," says Douglas Karas, an FDA spokesperson.

Consumers can inspect the ingredients list to find out if a product has added sugars, he says. Among the various names for added sugars, he says, are:

Corn syrup
High-fructose corn syrup
Fruit juice concentrate
Maltose
Dextrose
Sucrose
Honey
Maple syrup
 Age Limits for Purchasing Sugary Drinks Extreme?

The American Beverage Association, another industry group, released a statement in response to the commentary.  It says, in part, that ''their comparison of sugar to alcohol and tobacco is simply without scientific merit."

It continues: ''Moreover, an isolated focus on a single ingredient such as sugar or fructose to address health issues noted by the World Health Organization to be caused by multiple factors, including tobacco use, harmful alcohol use, an unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity, is an oversimplification. There is no evidence that focusing solely on reducing sugar intake would have any meaningful public health impact."

Suggesting age limits for purchasing sugary beverages is "extreme," according to the association.

SOURCES:

Lustig, R. Nature, Feb. 2, 2012.

Robert Lustig, MD, pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California, San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital; professor of clinical pediatrics, UCSF Center for Obesity Assessment, Study, and Treatment.

Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, Paulette Goddard professor of nutrition, food studies and public health, New York University.

Douglas Karas, FDA spokesperson.

Charles Baker, PhD, chief scientific officer, the Sugar Association.

News release, American Beverage Association.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Americans Sweet on Sugar: Time to Regulate?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
I caught a quick blip about this on Headline News the other day.  The "SUGA" industry will probably stop any regulations, I will be surprised if any of this takes place.  Hopefully with the information getting out there, along with Paula Dean's recent diabetes announcement, more folks will realize the true reason our country is so obese.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
more folks will realize the true reason our country is so obese.

and sick  :P

They would rather line their pockets  >:(

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »
Sad but true.Big Suga is no different then Big oil. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »
Be very scared when someone walks ups and says; "Hello! I'm from the government and am here to help.".

On the surface, one might rightfully applaud efforts at curbing sugar intake in this country.
Sadly, this action is merely an attempt at imposing more government control over private industry.
In this case, they are using sugar and obesity as an excuse for so doing.

We know that FAT not only comes from sugar but from starch consumption too!
So if they control sugar, what about all those wheat and rice products out there plumping waistlines?
I guess those industries will soon be on Big Gov'ts radar soon as well!
And what about fruit?... I noticed that fructose sugar was mentioned in the article.

Like you guys said, the SUGA lobbyists will be hard at work fighting this and likely win.
After all, politicians want that "support" for regulatory favors... It's Washington politics! And it stinks!!! >:( >:( >:(
What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Interesting article! Thanks for sharing!

froglvr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
I am not in favor of the government regulating sugar (or other carbs), but I like that people are really beginning to look at the sugar consumption in this country and connecting the dots to our obesity/diabetes problem.  I hope that more and more people read things like this and turn to programs like FTS for solutions.

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
Friends , Neighbors, Fellow Low Carbers and Devoted Fat to Skinny Folks,

Buford here, time and time again it has been proven at the end of all trials
and events that affect our lives , it is personal responsibility that wins the
day. That is why you are reading this and believe in what Doug and Umpa
teach. When you decide as I did and you have done that your health is
paramount to all else to keeping you living a happy and productive life style
then you will have success. The best regulation is your two lips if it's
white (pasta,flour,breads,etc) , high in carbs(sodas,candies,etc) and
the other hidden sugars as Doug shows in vivid detail in his videos,
press the lips firmly together until the urge to open them passes.
You control what passes this point , not BIG SUGAR, THE FOOD INDUSTRY
OR YOUR DEAR AUNT GERTIE AND HER PECAN PIE LOADED WITH SUGAR.
Lord do I miss that pie.

285 lbs (Start), now today 201lbs BS/87 OBTW (67 YO) and still losing.

Our Best to You and Yours,
Buford and the Girls(Princess and MissyBelle)

Rena

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
I don't agree with regulating sugar. There are far too many other problems law makers need to focus on. What we eat (or don't eat) isn't one of them.

AliciaInTX

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
Go, Buford!  ;D  I totally agree. We don't need Nanny govt to tell us what we CAN and CAN NOT consume....but I agree with froglvr that AWARENESS is key. Consumer responsibility. But there is also a huge problem with povery and obesity due to the low cost of high sugar foods. Maybe in that case, there could be some changes enacted. There's a huge problem with how the food triangle is taught, as well.  These are places where the government could actually make an impact without completely regulating what we consume.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Excellent advice, Buford! :) :) :)

Usually, you make me laugh.
This time, you make me applaud!

Personal responsibility and self-reliance are the best forms of regulation... They work! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
I applaud you too Buford and by the way i make a mean pecan pie!Its in the book ;)

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
UMPA, I love ya , some how I missed the pecan pie , heading over there now.

You and Doug do have a hammock tie up in the Keyes right ??

Is that place just south of Homestead still there baking those
wonderful "Key Lime Pies" ?? I remember diving in John Pennykamp??
State Park and had to bring back 10 sometimes as many as 50 pies to friends
at work in Miami when I was working there for Suffering Bell Telephone
in the 60' 70'.

You got a good replacement for that one ??

Our Best to You and You,

Buford and the Girls

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
Yeppers Buford just go to Ask Umpa ,where I am like the genie in a bottle and type in your request for key lime pie.(That way everyone can see the recipe and it doesn't get lost on these boards)There is a recipe in the original book for dougs key lime custard which is outstanding.I like my key lime with a graham cracker type crust.We are in the lower keys about 30 miles from Key West and 90 miles from Cuba.we like to dive looe Key its amazing.Pennycamp is where the Jesus statue is right? :)

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
Miss UMPA,

You are 100% correct on the statue also there was the biggest hammerhead I had
ever seen swimming around it when I dove there in '69 (must have a gray beard by now)
and gums his groceries I would think. Any who Andrew did a lot of damage to the park
and after that time I have never returned, hopefully Mother Nature has worked her
magic to the delight of all. It was beautiful when I dove there.

Our Best to You and Yours,
Buford and the Girls

PS: Be asking for that recipe for Key Lime Pie shortly. Thanks a Bunch