Author Topic: Not showing to fast on scale but in mirror.  (Read 5989 times)

sweeties

• View Profile
    • Email
Not showing to fast on scale but in mirror.
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »
I have lost weight very slow but is it possible my stomach is going down? I wore a pair of pants and they did not roll down under my tummy. yahoo :D :D :D :D :D

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not showing to fast on scale but in mirror.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
Love that no roll feeling! ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
There are lots of ways for your body to respond to your new low carb lifestyle.  The scale dropping is one of them.  Shrinking out of your pants is another.

Isn't it fun!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Hi sweeties! :)

Yes!... Losing weight involves tummy shrinkage.
In fact, that is one thing that usually happens even when there is little or no change on the scale.

Besides, isn't "tummy shrinkage" our goal here? ;)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
Yeah sweeties! :)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I came across a good little article online - well, not so little, so I only copied a little of it to put here. Maybe this will help us all feel better about our sassy scales!

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

Rena

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Yay for you! :)

I used to joke with an old friend that it was a good day when I didn't have a butt crack in both front AND back! :D And I'm not talking "muffin top" where your sides are spilling over. I'm talking CRACKS!  ;D

NewMe11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
I agree with this!!! I have told my sister on more than one occasion that I feel like I've lost more than the scale shows.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
 :D :D :D rena you are twisted ;)

mimimama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
I'm right there with you! I've lost 10.5 since Jan 4 and I'm thrilled with that but the past week I've stalled. On the other hand, when I look in the mirror the dreaded side view is looking smaller and my clothes are  fitting better. Don't forget that before we can drop a size, we have to actually fit in those "too tight" clothes that we are currently wearing. I'm staying the course no matter what the darn scale says. Keep on keepin' on, FTS family!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Hi Sarah! :)

I remember long ago reading an article about how fat cells shrink. And that article summarizes what I read to a tee!

Back in my college days, I remember classes that suggested our bodies are constantly maintaining a "stasis".
Stasis is the state of being unchanged over a period of time and resisting sudden change.

When we reduce the number of carbs we eat, we are forcing our bodies to burn FAT stores in our FAT cells.
And since our bodies (and it's cells) are seeking "stasis", the volume we lose in FAT will be temporarily replaced with water.

Remember that water is heavier that FAT!
So even though the scale may show no change (maybe even a modest increase), your body's FAT content has decreased.

The moral... Don't allow the scale to dictate how you feel about your progress!... Scales can (and will) lie sometimes! ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
No matter what the scale shows, this is a healthy way of eating for me and I'm shrinking. Because of the work of Doug, Umpa and everyone here, there are enough low-carb foods to replace all the fat-creating foods I used to love.  And it's fun. This is a major lifestyle change and I never thought I could do it. And I couldn't do it alone. Thanks to Doug, I now know why I can't eat like my skinny friends. It used to frustrate me to no end. I'd work so hard, and come up fatter every time. I tell you, Jesus hears my prayers and y'all are in for a big dose of blessings for all the people you're helping :-* :-* :-* !

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
I agree, my scale is not showing anything but my pants are easier to zip and I feel good.  Tomorrow will be two weeks, I want to continue sugar and carb free! 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Kudos to you Barb and Sarah! :) :) :) :) :)

Knowing exactly how we got FAT and how we can get skinny again forever is a real treasure!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
Sarah, thanks so much for posting that article!  That makes SO much sense!  I think I'll print that off and stick it on my fridge....or maybe on the wall OVER the scale!  ha ha    Oh...and I totally AGREE that Jesus hears & answers our prayers!!  From day one, I prayed and asked the Lord to bless my efforts as I started on FTS.  He is so faithful...we just have to ignore what that scale says some days, and stick to the plan.  I too hope Doug & Umpa are blessed MORE than they can imagine for the way they are helping so many people.   ;D