Author Topic: Why can't we make our own tortillas?  (Read 11679 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Why can't we make our own tortillas?
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
I watched Doug's video with his fiesta dinner. I've looked at tortillas every time I go to the store and can't find good low-carb ones. Here's a simple recipe for tortillas: which FTS flour would you use to replace the wheat flour and do you think oat fiber would work in these?

Makes 24
Ingredients
 4 cups all-purpose flour
 1 teaspoon salt
 2 teaspoons baking powder
 2 tablespoons lard
 1 1/2 cups water

Directions
Don't replace the lard with oil or shortening.
1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Why can't we make our own tortillas?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I'm ready to know this answer too Sarah...interesting...time for Umpa's magic!
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
I will try it just as soon as my oat fiber gets in.i had a neighbor when i lived in Texas that was from mexico and she made beautiful tortillas. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
I will try it just as soon as my oat fiber gets in.i had a neighbor when i lived in Texas that was from mexico and she made beautiful tortillas. ;)

Homemade tortillas are fantastic!... If we had a low carb version we could make at home, what a blessing it would be! :)
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
I've looked at a few recipes online and I'm betting Umpa can top them all. Some were so complicated I'd never get them made! Finding the right combination of flours (and oat fiber) is going to be the deal. Who knows more about flours than our resident Baker?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Thank you ;) I think the oat fiber will give us the ability to roll out the doughs easier.They won't be as sticky. :)

SarahC

• View Profile
This didn't work for tortillas, but would be good pie crust.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
I ate the first tortilla that I made and kept thinking - this tastes like something, what is it? Finally hit me - pie crust! It was kind of flakey like pie crust.

1/2 cup oat fiber
2 tablespoons soy flour (2 carbs)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons golden flax
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon lard (no substitutes)
1/2 cup ice-cold water

Whisk the flours, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly 'floured' surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is not too sticky.

This is where I made a golfball size ball and rolled it flat, then fried it in a hot skillet for a tortilla. Not awful, but not good. Like eating raw pie crust. So I'm going to add an egg and some vinegar - probably the vinegar next time as the egg will add too much liquid already - and make a pie. The dough is in the fridge now. Resting. Maybe I'll just add some egg white as I can control the volume easier.

momma chops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »
Please let us know how it comes out I miss my homemade tortillas.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
I think this is a job for Umpa so we'll have to be patient and wait for her to have time to play.  As a pie crust, the recipe I made will be great. 2 carbs for the whole thing - add 1 more for the egg if you use one.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
i am still waiting for my oat fiber :(

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
You ordered about the same time that I did, so yours must be close! The oat fiber is just like wheat flour. Very finely ground. I hope yours gets there pretty soon! I posted my recipe so you wouldn't waste your ingredients with that mix. It's not pliable like a tortilla at all. But I'm really happy that it will make a good pie crust so it's not a complete waste! Since I'm off pies for now, I may just freeze it for later. Maybe I'll make little 'tart' cups and try things like spinach quiche in it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
If you roll it out thin enough you could probably use it as a Filo dough ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
I'm not much of an experimenter, but could vital wheat gluten help give them the elasticity?

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »
Since I'm off pies for now, I may just freeze it for later. Maybe I'll make little 'tart' cups and try things like spinach quiche in it.

Sarah your mention of tart cups made me wonder (not wander, I'm not really lost LOL) if you could take your pie crust and use it in a critter called a sandwich maker; filling it with SF jelly and somehow make you a SF pie? Just a thought.  SF Apricot and Blackberry comes to mind.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
That sounds great, Suz! I could put some beanit butter and sf jelly in a little pie! LUNCH TIME! Thanks!