Author Topic: help find the culprit  (Read 3262 times)

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
help find the culprit
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
Had my blood work done last wednesday (2/8/12).  My chlorestoral went from 176 to 224.  My blood sugar went from 84 to 124 and my blood pressure was elevated. 

I feel good about the way I am eating but I can't have these numbers increasing.  I couldn't believe my glucose, since I haven't had sugar for 2 weeks not even in condiments.  No fruit except strawberries and no white flour either.

I am willing to continue, but wanted to know if you have ever heard of such a turn around? 

This is what I've eaten the last two days, I will continue to post my days intake of food until we find the culprit.  Thanks everybody

Tuesday 2/14/2012
OMM
1 cup of S/F Swiss Miss 6 g sugar and 10 carbs
Steak
Whole Green Beans Plain
Salad with Ranch Dressing
Mozzerella Cheese
Shredded Ham

Wednesday 2/15/2012
OMM
Provolone Cheese
Cubed Ham
Swiss Cheese
S/F Jello with Reddi Whip
broiled Chicken thigh and leg
whole green beans
Brocolli and cheddar Cheese
OMM

I feel good about being off of the sugar, but I am really concerned about the numbers that my doctor gave me from my blood work.  I go back in 3 months for another blood test, but of course he increased my chlorestoral medicine

shawn116

Re: help find the culprit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:06 AM »
Hi Barb  I'm sorry you are having trouble with your blood work.   Just looking at your list here I'm wondering if maybe you are eating to much cheese?  I tend to eat a lot of it myself, simply because it is just so easy to grab for a snack.  I've been trying to cut back lately.   

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »
Hi Barb,

I wouldn't be surprised at the SF Swiss Miss at 10 carbs might also be a problem.  I make my hot chocolate from SF Almond Milk (1 cup=1 carb).  You can use Hershey's SF Chocolate syrup (2 Tbl is 5 less 4 Sugar Alcohols=1); my fav is Walden Farms SF Chocolate (2 Tbl=0 everywhere).  I add a couple teaspoons of heavy whipping cream or a couple of the Land of Lakes 0 carb Moo Moo's to mine to make it a little more creamy.  With Hershey's it's total of 2 carbs or only 1 carb with Walden Farms.  You can drop 8-9 carbs there!
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Tuesday 2/14/2012
OMM
1 cup of S/F Swiss Miss 6 g sugar and 10 carbs
Steak
Whole Green Beans Plain
Salad with Ranch Dressing
Mozzerella Cheese
Shredded Ham- Is the ham coated with anything like honey ham? NOT ALL HAMS ARE LOW CARB

Wednesday 2/15/2012
OMM
Provolone Cheese
Cubed Ham Is the ham coated with anything like honey ham? NOT ALL HAMS ARE LOW CARB
Swiss Cheese
S/F Jello with Reddi Whip
broiled Chicken thigh and leg
whole green beans
Brocolli and cheddar Cheese
OMM

Barb, take note of what's in RED, stop eating what's in YELLOW, add fish, cabbage, spinach and Tofu to your plan. Watch your portion sizes.

All of your numbers will drop over time, they have for everybody else so they will for you.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Miss Barb,

Looks like you love ham, nature other white meat they say and also
green beans ain't a bad idea either. Well, I just so have a tip from a fellar
that you might like. He's got a YouTube video about cooking my kinda
ham and green beans. Now he calls that
"Southern Fried Pork Chops and Green Beans" let me tell these things are
so good and easy to fix.

Here is the link to that there video::

LOW CARB Southern Fried Pork Chops n' Tators, FAT TO SKINNY

Hope ya enjoy it, just call me when my helping is ready.

Our Best to You and Yours,
Buford and the Girls  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
The swiss miss is way to high and you will not detox .The girls are giving you great suggestions.Sliced cheese are covered in potato starch to help them from sticking which have carbs,so buy in the block.Ham that is sweetened can have up to 12 carbs per 1 oz serving.Gotta read labels.Will help you get on track just keep posting my friend ;)

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone.  The ham was not coated, however the cheese was sliced.  I will buy cheese in the block.  Give up the OMM  :'(  Why?  What is that about, I thought it was low carb and low sugar and I LOVE them!!  They are my go to!  And give up the s/f jello.   But Doug, I really believe in you so I will give them up  :'(.    And the swiss miss is gone, out of the picture!  I feel better, but obviously have a lot to learn.  Thanks to everyone. 

Got another question.......in the cd that I got with my "red" book, Doug states 20 carbs a day??  Is that 20 carbs and no sugar, 20 carbs and 20 sugar or is it a total of 20 carbs and sugars?  I am a little confused when I try to count my consumption.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
I'm having you give up the goodies for a little while to break your sweet tooth and get a handle on your baseline (the point where you start dropping) I want you to go back and re-read pages 45-48. From the question you asked in your post it's clear you missed the formula.  It's VERY important for you to understand exactly how to analyze your carb intake. After you re-read those pages come back and tell me the answer to you question  ;) 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »
You do not know how to read labels.When you are following the program correctly your numbers will not rise,they will fall.You need to detox and the first thing to go is sugar.Re-read your book you are doing the program incorrectly.If I can help you please ask. ;)

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
ok doug, did I tell you I was blond  :D   I reread the pages 45 to 48 and the way I read it is that the carbs divided by 4 = the amount of sugar.  So I believe the answer is 20 grams of carbs and zero sugar.  I can't wait to see if I am right  ;D ;D

When I read a label and it has 2g of carbs and 2 grams of sugar.  I think that means 2 divided by 4 = .5 and the 2 grams of sugar would = 2.5 grams of sugar that I would be comsuming.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
Forget the sugar on the label, Barb. Just look at the carbs, fiber and sugar alcohols. You can subtract the fiber and sugar ALCOHOLS (not the sugar, but sugar alcohols are different). Just ignore the sugar.  For instance:

Nutrition Facts for Diced Tomatoes

Serving Size 1/2 cup
Fat 0g
Cholestoerol 0mg
Sodium 220mg
Potassium 210mg
Total Carbohydrate 4g
 Dietary Fiber 1g
 Sugars 3g
Protein 1g

Net carbs is figured as Total Carbohydrate 4g minus fiber 1g = 3g

Russell Stover Sugar-Free Candy
Serving Size 3 pieces
Fat 10g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 50mg
Total Carbohydrate 26g
 Dietary Fiber 4g
 Sugars 0g
 Sugar Alcohol 21g
Protein 2g

So Net Carbs would be Total Carbohydrate 26g minus Fiber 4g and minus Sugar Alcohol 21g = 1g NET

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:08:35 PM by SarahC »

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
This does help, I was really trying to count sugar in there somewhere.  Thank you!!  I'm going to keep going on this until I get it right and Doug let's me have my OMM back  ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Got it Barb?? :)

Rena

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
It's easy to get in the habit of having the OMM all the time. I have to remind myself that the original FTS book (and the new one) does list things like pancakes and waffles, but says to limit them to once or twice a week. (Or something like that). I would guess the OMM would fit in that category as well, especially if you add things like sweetener, syrups, flavorings, etc.

Good luck!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
It's OK Barb, Sarah has it perfectly correct...you will too as time passes. Umpa is a blond, our daughters are blonds and my Mom is a blond...gotta love blonds! :)