Author Topic: Saying Hi - and a Question  (Read 4436 times)

Grizzpyre

• View Profile
Saying Hi - and a Question
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
Hello FTSers!

So - it's my first post, and our first day of FTS life. (Our = Jonathan (me) and Amber (my wife who is doing this with me)

I've been overweight most of my life - and have had successes, only to have problems. I'm now tipping the scales at 357 pounds. And yet - I'm walking a half marathon in Walt Disney World in two weeks. But I'm tired of having problems with them. I'm tired of my blood pressure medication. And I'm tired of hearing about all the risk factors I have in my family (including my father who died 2 years ago next week at the too young age of 64 from weight related congestive heart failure). I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful daughter (28 months old) - and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (that's the plan, anyhow).

So I figured I'd jump on and say hi. Get to know the community. Hope this is the appropriate board for that - hehehe.

I found Doug's book while wandering through B&N and it jumped off the shelf at me. I've been working out daily and limiting calories, and having some success - but not enough for my liking. So I though - what the heck - let's do this thing! So we cleaned out the fridge and went shopping!

Now - my question. I used to be a diet soda junkie - but not so much anymore. I do have a SodaStream and their syrups are all sucralose rather than aspartame. But MOSTLY I tend to drink carbonated flavored waters - 0 cal - 0 carb - 0 color - but they do have aspartame in them. Do I limit these as well? Or are these okay?

I look forward to reporting our first loss to you guys!

Until then - see ya from the Pacific Northwest!

Jonathan

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Saying Hi - and a Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Welcome to FTS Grizzprye
This is a wonderful way to lose weight and eat great too.  Doug and Umpa are wonderful, as well as the other members here on this forum.  You will be so glad you have done this, especially for your young daughter.  Don't be a stranger.  Check out ALL Doug's cooking videos and the recipes posted on the forum.  There are foods here that I never heard of 6 months ago that I have fallen in love with.  Don't forget to checkout FTS on facebook and youtube too! 

Suz
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Jonathan and Amber.  You've come to the right place.

In my experience, drinking enough plain water is very important.  The minimum is 64 ounces a day but more is definitely better, especially with the amount of weight you plan to lose.  The clearest explanation I have heard is that your liver uses the water for two purposes:  to eliminate toxins and to flush fat.  If it needs to spend too much time flushing toxins, it can't flush as much fat.  

I use carbonated water and an occasional diet soda as a treat but once I've finished about a gallon of water a day, I don't want to drink much else.

Good luck to both of you.  

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
Welcome Jonathan and Amber! I am umpa,dougs wife if i can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.people are so successful on fat to skinny because we have replacements for everything.The flavored waters are fine.If your weight loss stalls you may look at the subject again.Fair warning! Men lose very quickly on fat to Skinny so get ready to get happy.It will take about two weeks to detox and then you will have more energy than you know what to do with!!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
Hi Jonathan and Amber! The only way to stop the yoyo effect is with low-carb - and here you'll find all you need to replace the old foods you love with new foods that you'll not only love, but that will keep you healthy! You won't find such caring folks anywhere else! Welcome!

ladyluck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
Welcome Jonathan and Amber! You are going to love the FTS lifestyle,  I just started last week and the best part is you are not hungry like  on other diets.The FTS family is wonderful and you don't have to leave your home to get answers to any of your questions, and "it's free".

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Hi Amber & Jonathan and welcome to our FTS family!!  You are going to LOVE this forum and the FTS lifestyle too!   Be sure to check out the recipe exchange section, and I think you will be amazed!  Oh...and be sure to check out Sherripie's ticker!!  Her weight loss story is incredible!  She inspires us all.
So far I have been able to drink diet pepsi with no problems.  I also buy the wyler's sugar free flavorings for water.   Again....welcome!!   ;D   

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
Welcome to the family, Jonathan and Amber!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I too have been overweight most all of my life.
Have been on almost every weight loss plan imaginable. But always put the weight back on PLUS more!

I turned 60 last month and am so grateful I found FTS in July 2010.
If I had not, I'd be in dire straits healthwise by now. Maybe not even alive.
The FTS lifestyle saved my life. And it can save yours and your wife's as well.

In March 2011, my doctor took me off blood sugar meds (Metformin) and cut my blood pressure meds in half.
At that time, he declared I was no longer type II diabetic.

All the support you'll need is right here on this forum. And it's 100% free!!! ;D
Great recipes!... Great ideas! Wonderful, caring people!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your and your wife's FTS journeys!

Tony

P.S. - I too live in the Great Pacific Northwest!... Western Washington!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:06:18 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :) I'm in NW Montana.

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Hi Jonathan  I want to welcome you and your wife to the FTS forum family  :) 

I look forward to hearing about your journey to the new you....please don't be a stranger  ;)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
Welcome to you both. What is going to amaze you is the inches you are going to loose in addition to feeling great!  Hope to see you around and best of luck on your marathon at Walt Disney!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
Welcome to the party!, Visit often and post lots of info to share, that's what we're all about

Helping ourselves while helping others :)

Cool new pic Iz :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
I like that new picture TOO Izzet!!   Your top and cute cap matches your hero stars!   ;D

Grizzpyre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:58 PM »
I just wanted to say again how wonderful a group this is! And how happy I am to have found it! :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
Welcome, welcome, welcome! By the way, I'm a diet soda-aholic and it hasn't stopped me from loosing. I just make sure that for each diet soda I drink I have to drink a full 16oz glass of water.

Welcome to FTS!! :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/