Author Topic: Let's talk about vinegar.  (Read 3649 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Let's talk about vinegar.
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
According to nutritiondata.self.com, balsamic vinegar is LOADED (43g per cup) with carbs - cough, choke! - but distilled is 0, cider vinegar is 2 and red wine vinegar is 1 per cup.

I may be confused (easily) but from what I read I gathered that vinegar can stabilize blood sugar and allows the body to absorb more beneficial nutrients from vegetables (makes the veggies release the nutrients). It tenderizes meats and the flavor is helpful when reducing your salt intake. It can reduce the amount of pesticide residues on vegetables (and fruits, but is not recommended for berries as they absorb too much and it whacks out the delicious berry flavor).

If that's wrong, please straighten me out. If it's right, how do you use vinegar in your food? ARE you using vinegar in/on your food? Do you have additional information about the benefits/or not of vinegar?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about vinegar.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
Hi Sarah! :)

You're on to something!

I love Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, unfiltered, and organic).
It has 0 carbs! ;D
I drink it everyday for it's health benefits and have been doing so for a number of years.

I use it to make vinaigrette dressings.
And add it to some recipes to sometimes replace some (or all) salt.

Bragg's is MUCH better than distilled vinegars that have had the life boiled out of them during processing.
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
How much do you drink every day, Tony?

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
My mother used to take a 'dose' of vinegar when her kidneys were bothering her. I never paid much attention - afraid she'd make me take some, too! She liked weird stuff like drinking a glass of buttermilk, horehound candy, milk with toast in it. She was 'old school'.

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »
She liked weird stuff like drinking a glass of buttermilk, horehound candy, milk with toast in it. She was 'old school'.
You just described my step dad to a T...LOL 

I like the Bragg's too.  I just can't bring myself to just drink it though...LOL  It's not to bad with lemon aide  :P  I'd much rather have it on my salad and veggies  ;)  Love the good season's mix. 
I have always heard that if you drink it, it will help in weight loss.  Love to use it for cleaning  ;)

buford354

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Howdy Folks,

Buford here, my good buddy next door is one of them there computer nerds. So
 I ask him to run this down for me "How many carbs is in vinegar ??" Now he is book
smart , but can't bait a hook or tie up my fishing boat, dang near drown one day when
we was out fishing until I told him just to stand up it was only 5 five deep where we was
fishing.

Any who he helped me write these her urls or earls maybe I do spelled them wrong but
here they is.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/vinegar/carbohydrate

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/ type in "how many carbs in vinegar"

Our Best to You and yours,

Buford and the Girls

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the info, Buford.  I think I know the cousin or twin brother of the guy next door.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
Good answers.I also use balsamic but I measure it,a little goes a long way. ;)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
I try and drink Bragg's every day.  Toosweet-it isn't bad if you drink it with 8 oz of water.  I usually do about a "shot" every morning.  It is supposed to help with sinus issues too.  I actually have a whole book written about the benefits of unfiltered cider vinegar! :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

I'll usually drink a tablespoon of Bragg's in 6-8 ounces of very cold water in the morning and before bedtime.
And if I get a sour tummy, this concoction fixes it right away.

Like TooSweet said, it's good in lemon aide which hides the tartness.
But I found that after drinking it for a while, that tartness goes away and it almost tastes sweet.

I drink it through a straw to avoid excessive contact with my teeth.
Vinegar is highly acid and, over time, can damage tooth enamel.
The nighttime dose is usually followed by rinsing my mouth with plain water t be safe.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Thanks, Tony! I forgot about the teeth aspect. I'm wondering if using vinegar in cooking would have the same effects as using wine. Especially Red Wine Vinegar. I wonder if the heat would destroy some of the beneficial properties. Does anybody know anything about THAT?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar does lose some of its beneficial properties when cooked.
But that does not mean that you should not use it for flavoring during cooking.
Just have some everyday that's uncooked and you'll get all it's benefits.

For a LOT of info about it, check Bragg's website at: http://bragg.com/index.html