Author Topic: Can you go into starvation mode with low-carb?  (Read 3707 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Can you go into starvation mode with low-carb?
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
My weight is at a dead standstill and has been for a while. Is it possible that I'm not eating enough? This week I've been taking a friend to the dentist and eating has been spotty. Yesterday we went for the third time and halfway there I remembered that I hadn't eaten breakfast. We were tied up until 4:30 in the afternoon. That's when I got my first bite of anything for the day except a piece of sugarless gum, which I chewed to death. Before someone asks why I didn't find a restaurant, there weren't any near there and I needed to stay with my friend in with the dentist as she has a hearing problem and couldn't understand anything he said. So, when I got home I had a couple omelet muffins (the muffins are each about 1/2 of an egg, a tablespoon of grated cheese, 1/4 of a mushroom, a couple chopped pieces of bell or jalapeno pepper and about two spinach leaves - and 1/2 piece of Canadian bacon) and three boiled shrimp. Then later I had the tortilla/pie crust with a little cheese and one more shrimp. Then it was bedtime. The day before was much the same, except that I remembered to take a couple omlet muffins with me, so ate them earlier. We stopped at a restaurant on the way home and I ordered a grilled chicken salad, which was yucky, so I only ate half. I suspected that it was high carb because the chicken was weird (marinated), so I don't know what I did to myself there. I ate the rest of the lettuce with 5 boiled shrimp on it for supper. I wonder if they treat that lettuce so it doesn't turn brown so quick and what's in the stuff they treat it with if, in fact, they do. I'm trying to stay away from a lot of cheese as it plugs me up.

I've been trying to stay around 10 carbs per day, tracking on fitday, and many days the calories are under 1000 - sometimes closer to 600. So am I screwing up?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can you go into starvation mode with low-carb?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Nope.Don't eat if you are not hungry  and take your measurements.Sounds like you are out of detox. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
I've been doing 10 carbs for so long that I feel guilty if I go over! I will take measurements - clothes tell the tale. I'm drying my pants in the clothes dryer now, so I know I'm getting smaller. I just don't want to sabbotage myself along the way. If you eat after starving yourself the pounds just fly on!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Can you go into starvation mode with low-carb?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
Stay the course. Somtimes our bodies simply need to adjust. ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »
...Sounds like you are out of detox. ;)
What does that mean in terms of eating, Umpa? I had the most delicious chicken breast tonight - 1/2 cup broccoli and a small turnip. Happy tummy! So the day's total is 9 grams of carbs and 800 calories.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
You arent craving sweets or large amounts of food for energy.You are feeling the burn baby! fat burn that is! :D

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
I expect to always have the emotional craving for sweets and treats - they have been an intregal part of my life since babyhood - and that was many moons ago. Sweets and breads are still comfort food at my house! But, I'm not having them until the weight goes down. I know it's coming off. I can see it in the mirror - the other day I looked at myself (dressed) and saw POINTS on my shoulders!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
Congrats on your pointy shoulders.  I'm hoping for visible collar bones someday. 

Can you look for new comfort foods to replace the sweets and breads of your past?  If you are trying to lose the weight only to go back to the things that caused you to gain it in the first place. . . well, you know what's going to happen.  Yo-yos are for playing with, not living with.

Coconut cake!  Try that as a replacement comfort food.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
So now I'm feeling my collarbones to see if they're sticking out! The sweets can be low-carb, but until I lose what I want to, I just have to stay off them. It's a mental craving, not a physical one. I can be patient. I won't ever go back to eating sugary foods - I now know how I got here. FTS food has gone from replacements to staples on my menu. There is no question of going backwards. Onward and downward!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
When I look down, I see my toes before I see my belly. I have to find positives where I can...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:51:07 PM by SarahC »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
Give yourself a pedicure so they really stand out!! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
When I look down, I see my toes before I see my belly. I have to find positives where I can...

I was thrilled the day I could see right past my belly to my toes.
I saw them so seldom, I'd sometimes wonder if they were still there. :D :D :D :D
What you do today is what matters!