Author Topic: Chicken Piccata  (Read 3394 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Chicken Piccata
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
Saw this online and it looks delish! We can replace the flour with porkskins, but what about the lemon juice and wine - would vinegar work for the lemon juice to reduce the carbs? I guess the wine would be ok?

4 boneless chicken breasts
 1 egg
 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 6 tablespoons butter, divided
 2 tablespoons olive oil
 2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
 1/2 cup chicken stock
 1/4 cup dry white wine
 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed

1. Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness, less than half an inch. For very thick chicken breasts, butterfly them by cutting in half.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash. Pour the egg wash on a rimmed plate. On another plate, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Dip both sides of each chicken breast piece in the egg wash, then dredge in the flour mixture until coated.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and allow to heat.

4. Place the coated chicken breasts in the hot skillet. Allow the chicken to cook on the first side until golden. Turn, and cook the second side until also golden and the chicken is cooked through.

5. Place the finished chicken on a heat tolerant plate, and place in a 200°F oven to keep warm while the other cutlets are sautéing and while the sauce is made.

6. In the skillet, sauté the shallots for 1 minute. Add additional olive oil for sautéing the shallots if needed. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute, or until the garlic is fragrant.

7. Add the lemon juice, chicken stock, and white wine to the skillet. Stir and scrape up the browned bits. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow the juices to reduce by half.

8. Whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the capers.

9. Plate the warm chicken breasts and ladle the sauce on top. Garnish with lemon slices.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Chicken Piccata
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
Good recipe with the flour replaced with my fry mix.....Picata is simply food sauted in lemon and butter.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:46:54 AM by umpa »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Chicken Piccata
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Good recipe if you replace the flour with my fry mix...8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chicken Piccata
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
You have shallots and garlic.I would choose one or the other .Garlic is a superfood but its one carb per clove.Lemon juice is fine.Mine is 0 carb.1/4 cup wine is  ;)ok because of the number of servings.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
Yeah, I noticed the shallots and garlic. It seems like a little goes a long way, so I always cut back on them - I don't have shallots or capers, so I might leave those out and try this recipe today - with a little garlic powder instead of cloves. I don't think I have a 'dry' wine on hand, but could use some other kind or leave it out and replace the liquid with more stock. Somebody left one of those tiny bottles of wine here after a wild party some time ago... And I wonder why my dishes don't resemble the original...

I mixed pork skins and oat fiber (a little paprika, garlic powder and cayenne) and used it on my chicken last night, Doug. It was delightful! I'm amazed at how well the pork skins work for breading! It's better mixed with oat fiber or soy flour than by itself, but even by itself it's not bad.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
You like the oat fiber for coating? :)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Yep. I thought the porkskins alone made the chicken breast a little 'dry' (but the taste was great), and didn't want to add the carbs in soy flour, but the oat fiber worked wonderfully with the porkskins! The chicken was crisp and moist.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
I made breadsticks and crackers yesterday with the oat fiber.Very yummy had a  wheat bread flavor .The crackers i rolled out with a rolling pin using the oat fiber to dust the cutting board and rolling pin.Did a great job and took the stickyness away. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
I made Katary Krackers yesterday and added about 1/4 cup oat fiber. Not too bad, but not as good as without. So I added cheese and made cheese crackers. I'll try dusting the roller with it only.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
 I am making graham crackers tommorow ;)