Author Topic: So disappointed!!!  (Read 4502 times)

froglvr

• View Profile
So disappointed!!!
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
Hello FTS family...

I had a disappointing thing happen this weekend.  We bought a new digital scale (we had an old spring style scale...the kind where the dial turns until it stops at your weight).  The new scale says that I am 11 pounds heavier than the old scale!  :'(  I know that it is all relative and that I really have lost 15 pounds so far, it is just that my starting point would have been higher if I had this new scale from the beginning.  Even though I know this, it has still been hard to adjust to this new number.

I am an emotional eater, but I am happy to say that I have not let this disappointment allow me to break my new lifestyle.  Instead, I made the coconut cake from the FTS SF bakery (thanks Alicia for the recipe card!) and ate a piece of that to soothe my emotional eating.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen to you?
Thanks for your support!

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: So disappointed!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
That so sucks! I hate scales, I am ALWAYS fighting with mine. Don't let it upset you. Just go into your weight ticker and change your starting weight and your current weight, no biggie at all. You are still amazing and have STILL lost 15 pounds. FIFTEEN POUNDS! That's a TON. Don't worry in a few weeks you'll be down 15 more and you can kick the scale a few times.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
Hi froglvr   This very thing happened to me.   I was horrified when I stepped on the new scale....LOL   :o   Don't sweat it though....Like Sherri said you are already awesome   ;)  Those 11 lbs will be gone before you know it  :)  The next time you are in a store just grab three 5 lb bags of sugar and carry them around a bit...... (you will realize how much you used to carry all the time) that will make you feel better   ;D ;D

Oh and don't forget to put it back on the shelf  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:30:39 PM by TooSweet »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
Bummer :( it's not about the numbers though, it's all about commitment to stay the course...you'll be OK HUGZ!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Don't walk....RUN AWAY FROM THAT THING IT IS EVIL!!   :o  Possessed I tell you!!!Until you get your footing. Take your measurements and be convinced that this is a lifestyle change and its a science.If you do the right thing by the rules of science the weight will come off.We are all emotional eaters,just binge on the right foods if you need to do that.YOU CAN DO THIS!! and we are gonna help you! ;)

Rena

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
Same thing happened to me when we got our new scale. Frustrating, but you've still lost what you've lost. And good for you for eating the piece of cake and not "losing it" with something high carb. That's what matters most! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Hi froglvr! :)

Your FTS brothers and sisters agree... Scales are evil little boxes!

And you're right about any number only being "relative".
Consider $10,000,000.
To you or I, that amount of money is probably huge.
To Bill Gates, his housekeepers probably find that much under his couch cushions. ;)

Always remember that the scale "number" is only one small part of your success.
You are healthier now than when you started. And are getting healthier every day you live by the FTS rules.

Every day, you are reversing the years of damage that sugar has heaped upon you.
So be of good cheer!
We're all here rooting for you!! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

froglvr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
Thank you all so very much for your support.  You have REALLY helped me! 

I love the ideas and I am glad to know that I am not alone in hating my evil scale!  My clothes are fitting better and people are starting to notice (especially my family...the most important people!), this is what I should focus on.  Thanks again for helping me realize that I am already successful and that I will continue to be successful!  I love my FTS family!  Thanks for being here for me...

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »
You are gonna do great! ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
FTS is the way we eat to be healthy.  The weight loss is a bonus.

Congrats on your weight loss progress but, more importantly, congrats on developing coping skills.

And, yes, coconut cake is a coping skill.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »
... And, yes, coconut cake is a coping skill.

I agree, Andrea! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »
Yay for coconut cake!! Boo for new, digital scales! Why'd you want to go and get all fancy like that anyway? ;)  You are doing amazing, lady. I've seen it with my own eyes. You look fabulous. Hang in there with me!!!

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
Scales are truely evil!! >:(  I have a digital scale and yet when I go to the doctor (no matter which doctor) all the numbers are different.  Don't let the scales run your life, let the way you feel and how your clothes fit be more of a measure.  I love my FTS family.

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
I'm having a really hard time with the scales. :( i lost 6lbs in the first 2weeks then gained 1.5lbs and stopped. I lost 6 inches overall last week so am trying not to be discouraged. But it's tough when I've  tried so hard. I've really been exercising regularly and sticking to less than 20 carbs but the scale won't budge!! I've got a goal to lose 30 lbs before may 5 when I go to Yosemite on a photography trip. I need to lose  30lbs because I'll be carrying that much in equipment and I don't want to keel over. :) but that was my goal in December when I thought it was doable. Now I don't think it is. So bummed.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
Tina, not only is it possible you will lose the 30 pounds on schedule...how? CUT BACK further on your carbs and watch portions. You may need to get under 10 per day. If you're gaining weight you're eating more sugar than you're burning. If you're not losing weight but not gaining weight you're burning what you're taking in...no more no less. If you're losing weight then you're burning all your sugar PLUS additional stored sugar (FAT) for fuel.

You have three choices if you wish to continue losing weight.

Door#1- Reduce sugar until the scale starts to drop.

Door#2- Leave your carb intake the same and increase activity until the scale starts to drop.

Door#3- Reduce sugar AND increase activity. The scale will drop faster

It's as simple as that, make some moves...pick a door and your plateau will break. Of course portion sizes should always be followed.

I know it can be frustrating when you plateau but trust me the above advice if followed will get you moving again. I've spoken to thousands of readers who have dropped 30 pounds in the first months and many others who have only dropped half that amount in a month. The difference is always the same. The people who drop the most weight fast have a much lower carb intake than the people who drop the weight slower. It's important for you to recognize it's all about the science.

The 20 carb rule is for "most" people but some people including myself and maybe you are very sensitive to sugar. Most days I stay less than 15 carbs. It's time for a review of your intake including your portion sizes.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)