Author Topic: Pizzelle Cookies  (Read 12668 times)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
Pizzelle Cookies
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
Hi Umpa ~
Are ya'll enjoying any snow where you are?  We got a bit last night & I love it!!  It'll be gone by tonight though which works just fine for me  :)

I want to make low carb Pizzelle's.  I think they are sooo pretty.  I have the maker.  The only recipes I can find use a granual sweetener and a protein powder.  I was wondering if you have any ideas for making them not using the protein powder (I have no idea what I would use instead) and perhaps just liquid stevia instead of a granulated sweetener. 

Once I hear back from you I'll start playing with it.

I appreciate your time and input!!
Kim

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pizzelle Cookies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
i will be playing with this in the next couple days.I think the oat fiber I just got is gonna be the answer.I will be using the liquid sweetner for this one. ;)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Good Morning!!
It's going to be a GREAT day!!  So ~ I tried making some and they came out TERRIBLE!!  My hubbie took one bite & tossed his in the trash.  I am too frugal for that so I toasted them & buttered them and ate them with eggs. 
Actually not too bad that way.   :)

I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day!
Kim

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »
Hi Kim! :)

I can't remember how many times my kitchen "experiments" failed dismally before having success.

Sometimes it's just changing one or a few ingredients or the cooking time just a bit.
Other times, it's changing up everything except one ingredient.
And still others, the cooking methods themselves.

Umpa is a wizard at this sort of thing.
So let's wait to hear back from her on this.

Have a blessed weekend!
Tony
What you do today is what matters!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »
I actually bought a pizelle maker over the weekend.  Substituted xylitol for the sugar and substituted soy flour for the all purpose flour.  Don't have the exact recipe in front of me but added sesame seeds for dietary fiber, used 1 cup of finely crushed almonds, almond extract, 3 jumbo eggs, baking powder.  The only problem is that I put too much dough in the maker and they came out too thick and not crunchie.  I have to perfect the method still.  Otherwise, the flavor was fine.  I just don't know how many carbs/dietary fiber/sugar alchohol ratio to come up with net carbs.  Used 1 and 3/4 cup of soy flour and 3/4 cup of xylitol and a teaspoon of sesame seeds.  Umpa, what do you think?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
Soy flour is the closest we have to white flour and the highest in carbs so if I use it I like to cut it with soy protein powder which also lightens it up.Egg whites instead of the whole egg will also. That may give you more crunch.TooSweet is a expert baker I am sure she will chime in. When I get home to the Keys (thats where my pizzelle maker is) I will try this again. :)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
Hi  Ereino   forgive me but I'm a little confused..... are you asking about the carb counts or the recipe itself?  When you say finely crushed almonds are you talking about almond meal/flour or actual chopped almonds?  If you need help with the carb counts.... if you could please post the recipe that you followed and what you used to substitute if any.    :D   

In looking at what you posted I'm wondering if your flour to egg ratio is maybe off a little?  That also can cause it to not crunch.....I'd like to help if I can  :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
Hi TooSweet:

Here is the recipe I used.  (I'll give you the basic recipe from the pizzelle maker pamphlet and all I did was substitute soy flour and xylitol) and there IS NO CRUNCH.  Thanks for any suggestions:

3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar (I substituted xylitol)
2 Teaspoon valnilla extract
1 Stick (1/2 cup) butter melted and cooled
1/2 Teaspoon anise seed (optional)  (I didn't use in recipe)
1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour (I substituted Soy Flour)
2 Teaspoons baking powder

That is the BASIC recipe.

I was making the Almond Pizzelles which calls for:
using the first recipe above, omit the vanilla and anise flavors; add 1 tablespoon almond extract.  Add one cup of finely chopped/ground almonds to the batter.   

I also added about 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds which I thought would help for fiber.

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
Ya'll are awesome but I returned my Pizzelle maker sorry!  I have moved on to the thin Sesame Cooke's I just had in Charleston.  I want to figure out how to make them healthy.

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
Hi Ereino  I''m sorry I'm slow getting back to you.  I had to do a little looking  LOL 

3 large eggs .36g total carbs x 3 = 1.08 net carbs
3/4 cup sugar (I substituted xylitol) 0g net carbs
1 Stick (1/2 cup) butter melted and cooled 0
1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour (I substituted Soy Flour) 10g total carbs- 6g fiber = 4g net carb per 1/4 cup = 28g net carbs
2 Teaspoons baking powder (1.27 carbs per tsp) 2.54g - 0g fiber = 2.54g net carbs
1 tablespoon almond extract.  1.6 net carbs
1 cup of finely chopped/ground almonds  20.59g total carbs -11.6g fiber =  8.99g net carbs
1 tsp sesame seeds .5 net carbs
1.08+0+0+28+2.54+1.6+8.99+.5= 42.71 net carbs for the whole recipe.  You will divide that by the total cookies you came up with. 
With out knowing the products that you used it is hard for me to know the exact amounts.  Unfortunately not all products are universal with their labels.  I found all of these counts on this site: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

I hope this helps  :)  I'm betting the thickness had a lot to do with the lack of crispiness 

I bet you could lighten these up on carbs by using some low carb protein powder...

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
Hi Kim!  You were so close to me its crazy!!  LOL   ;D  I love love Charleston.  As a matter of fact I am headed there this coming weekend to visit a good friend.  What you are talking about are called Benne Wafers.  They are great aren't they???   :)  Love those little things.  Problem is from the OLDE COLONY BAKERY they are 19 net carbs for only 12 of those little babies.   :o  crazy

I know you didn't ask but I found this recipe a while back: http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-benne-wafers-149406

Benne Wafers
1 cup sesame seed, toasted
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar use part sugar free maple syrup and part zero or xylitol.  I'm wondering what volume you would lose if you used just zero.
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour you could use almond meal, soy flour etc...or a mix of the two
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. If your sesame seeds are not toasted, place them on an ungreased baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes or until they turn light brown.
3. They may burn easily, so watch closely to prevent this from happening.
4. Mix the brown sugar, melted butter, egg, vanilla extract, flour, salt, baking powder, and toasted sesame seeds together until well combined in a large mixing bowl.
5. Drop cookie dough by half-teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Make sure that at least 2 inches separate them; they spread A LOT.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 5-6 minutes or until edges become light brown. They will appear a little puffy when you take them out.
7. Let them sit for 2-3 minutes.
8. They should be pretty flat.
9. Remove them to a wire rack and allow to cool (be careful--they're pretty crispy and crunchy!).
10. Store cooled cookies in an air-tight cont

Actually Jo's sugar cookies kinda reminded me of them too.  You can find them here http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3747.15  This might give you an idea of what to play with.  Just do a mix of the almond meal and the toasted sesame seeds and maybe some soy flour to help them crisp up.  Hmmm Now I'm wondering if it will work...LOL  I need to make time to get in the kitchen  ;D ;D  If you have a recipe that works out please do let us know.   :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:57:03 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
I haven't found a volume issue with any recipes TooSweet.The only thing I use xylitol for is my fall spice balls for the cinnamon sugar coating ;)

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
That's cool.... you would still want to use something along with it though to make up for the brown sugar flavor.  The syrup would do the trick here I think  ;D

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
Thank you soooo much!  I can't wait to try the recipe!   :)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Hey TooSweet ~

I made your recipe for the Benne Wafers.  Turned out GREAT!!  Used Almond Flour and Kroger no calorie baking sweetener.  If anyone makes these here are a couple helpful hints. 

Put the batter in a cookie press (such as Pampered Chef) which makes it faster because you only use about 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of batter per wafer (it spreads).  Use the end with the largest hole. 

Don't put them close together or they will run together.

Use 2 cookie sheets and put a piece of foil (shiny side DOWN) to bake them on.  When one sheet is done baking slide the whole foil w/ wafers on it onto a table to cool and then use a little spatula to remove the cooled wafers.  While you are doing that the other sheet will be baking. 

These are not going to be quite as crispy as the original wafers but they are REALLY GOOD!!

Kim