Author Topic: Craisins  (Read 8990 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Craisins
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
Make your own sugar-free craisins!

7 carbs per cup of fresh cranberries - measure before you start if you want a good carb count after they're dry.

1 cup water
1/2 cup xylitol
1 package whole fresh cranberries

Wash the cranberries and cut them in half. Boil the water and xylitol until the xylitol is dissolved. Turn off the heat and add the cranberry halves. Let them soak for 30 minutes for tart craisins, soak for several hours for sweet craisins. (I soaked mine overnight.) I stirred them about every half hour for the first little bit, then they shrunk down and were all submerged in the syrup. Put them in the dehydrator for about 8 hours. jBe careful or they will fall through the grids. Use the small grids.

They're beautiful! This is a bit tedius, so be prepared. But it will be worth it to have a raisin replacement!

shawn116

Re: Craisins
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
Too cool Sarah!!   8) 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Thanks Sarah! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
Well done!  Thanks for experimenting.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
I forgot to measure before I started, so I have to guestimate how many carbs I have unless someone makes thema nd tells me what the end carb count is per cup or whatever. I can't eat these anyway as I'm gaining weight these days instead of losing.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
Sarah Why?? :)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
I was going to ask the same thing Sarah....  I wonder, if you post your menu we might see what is making you gain.  Might be some carb creep going on??

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
I'll post my eating. I'm up another pound today.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm sorry you are struggling.  It's hard to be patient when you are putting so much effort into all of these changes.  Stick with it.  It's worth the trouble.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
I really am getting so frustrated. I don't know what else to do except stop eating all together and that seems a little extreme. I've worried about going into starvation mode as my calorie intake was around 600 for a while. This not losing and then gaining has happened to me on every diet. I lose at first, then stop, then gain. I lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers then plateaued for a year then gained 20 pounds before I started low-carbing. I lost 17 pounds with the low-carb before I started posting here, lost two pounds and have gained 3 since I joined the forum. I could cry big tears. I've been measuring/weighing my portions to keep them in line.

Michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
Thank  you.. I've been looking for a "Cranberry Sauce" substitute.. I'll utlize most of your recipie and eliminate the dehydator.

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Hi Michelle  here is a couple of links where we talk about the cranberry sauce.....yummm  ;)

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1498.30
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3746.0

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
Sarah if you are eating out alot that may be part of the issue.Check online for nutritional info before eating out ;)

Rena

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
I really am getting so frustrated. I don't know what else to do except stop eating all together and that seems a little extreme. I've worried about going into starvation mode as my calorie intake was around 600 for a while.

You're not eating enough -- eat more.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks, Rena. I've started eating a little more and am losing again, finally!