Author Topic: Sugar alcohols - spike blood sugar only in diabetics?  (Read 11008 times)

Neesie

• View Profile
Sugar alcohols - spike blood sugar only in diabetics?
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:33:03 PM »
Hi Doug, quick question - if I read one of your posts re: the effects of sugar alochols on blood sugar levels correctly, do I understand that they only negatively impact the blood sugar levels of diabetics?  My weight loss has stalled and I'm thinking sugar alcohols in Turani syrups & candies may be the culprit(s).  Hoping this does not mean I might be pre- or diabetic!

shawn116

Re: Sugar alcohols - spike blood sugar only in diabetics?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »
Hi Neesie    I'm sure Doug will be along to answer your question, but I thought I would give it a go. 

For sure I'm not a doctor or a scientist but I would not think that would mean you are diabetic or pre diabetic.  You are there only if you are having sugar level issues.  A person that doesn't have diabetes can regulate their sugar no matter where it comes from.  I believe what he is trying to say is that we know it does effect some people with diabetes the same as if it was table sugar or close anyway (because it causes their blood sugar to spike)  therefore you shouldn't assume that all behave as a 0 carb in everybody.   As a diabetic I have clues as to how foods effect me simply because we test our blood sugar on a regular basis. 

If a sugar alcohol is creating or behaving the same as sugar, your body will burn it first as fuel.  If you are stalling then you should back off on those until the scale starts to move down again  ;)  I hope I didn't confuse  ;D

joagain

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »
Hi Nessie I do not have diabetes but my son has Type 1 some SF stuff cause a big spike in his . What I have noticed is that it spikes mine also not to diabetic levels but a spike . The other day  my BS was 84 I ate 3 SF reeses cups and my sugar was 111 -20 minuites later .
 I am not sure but I think that I would have been better off not eating those and my BS staying at 84 . Hopefully Doug will see your post and help you further .

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
Hi Neesie, this is why Too Sweet and Jo are Global Moderators. They, like all of our GM's give great and accurate info.

YES you should immediately stop using all products with sugar alcohols, NO it doesn't mean you're a diabetic or pre-diabetic, it simply mean one, two or a mixture of SA's are affecting your blood sugar and most likely causing the stall. If you really want to know the exact answer pick up a blood sugar tester and test your blood sugar per the instructions after eating each type of product with SA's (separated by at least 3-4 hours)

Short of doing that the simplest way to find the answer is to simply cut all of them out of your intake.....for now. When the scale starts to drop again you can slowly experiment to find out which SA is affecting you. Please re-read the chapter on Artificial Sweeteners and Sugar Alcohols in the book. Also please review these two boards.

1- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=7.0

2- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=5.0
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Neesie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:15:01 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I've been avoiding the sf candies & diet soda the past few days & the scale is starting to move again.  I guess I'm just one of those "special" people that's extra-sensitive to sugar alcohols.  S'okay, this weekend I'm going to make some treats from the bakery cookbook using Xylitol & see how that goes.  I do love me some chocolate...and fresh-baked bread!  ::)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
Hi Neesie! :)

You're learning!... And that's GREAT!!! ;D ;D ;D

This is a new lifestyle and not only requires adjustments in how we eat, but how we think too.

Enjoying sweets is one of the nicest parts of the FTS lifestyle.
BUT... They should only be enjoyed on an occasional basis and NOT when stalled out.
Doug talks about this in his book.

My wife's doctor tells her to count sugar alcohols as part of her net carbs.
The reason being that they slow down weight loss and her doc wants to see her reach her goal sooner.

I think this is something that any of us who want to reach goal as fast as possible, might consider.
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
Tylers Doc also said that Tony ,anything over 6 SA we count which usually then we dont eat  because he would have to take a shot . So that is now what I do also . ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »
I decided to avoid them until I get to goal.  It has sped up my weight loss and I really don't miss them.  I'm thinking they'll be low on the list of what I start adding once I get to goal and I'll be selective.  My problem is that one piece would be enough but a whole bag in the pantry will get eaten.  Old habits bleeding through, I guess.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »
My problem is that one piece would be enough but a whole bag in the pantry will get eaten.  Old habits bleeding through, I guess.

One piece is never enough for me  :'(  And I seem to think about them when they are in the cabnet.  Like they are calling my name...LOL   It's better they call my name from across town  ;)   ;D

millie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »
----I just purchased some popsicles they are sugar free
  they have 4 carbs and 2 sugar alcohols, will this hurt my weight loss sometimes i need something sweet, what can you tell me about ice cream, is there a brand we can use.

thanks millie 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
In The Fat to Skinny Bakery there are lots of sweets and ice creams. Most low carbs ice creams in the grocery store are about 4 carbs per serving.(like Carbsmart) If you like popscicles you can make your own with diet soda or sweettea or heavy whipping cream flavored .The dollar store has molds. ;)

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Ooh I am so going to the dollar store! With the heat rolling in for summer I'm really wanting a popsicle and SA's don't do well for me or my blood sugars. I use a meter and its really helping me to figure to out things that stall me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2