Author Topic: Sugar alcohols - always tummy troublers?  (Read 4921 times)

Neesie

• View Profile
Sugar alcohols - always tummy troublers?
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »
Hey folks - I'm a newbie.  Lost 7.7 in two weeks (thanks, Doug!).  I tried a couple of sf chocolates the other day after dinner (Whitman's) and was very uncomfortable for a couple of hours.  Had one last night and was okay.  Is there an adjustment period where one builds a tolerance for reasonable amounts, or do they always cause intestinal rumblings?!

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Sugar alcohols - always tummy troublers?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
Candy with malitol always gives me gas. I can get away with 1 once in a while, but if I eat too much too close together, I blow up! I've almost quit sf candy all together. It can stall your weight loss and create cravings for sweet stuff - and who wants that?

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »
Hi Neesie  Welcome to the FTS forum family!! 

I'd have to say that chocolate is one of life's best creations  ;D  Unfortunately the sugar alcohols aren't all the great on us.  Some days I can handle them but for the most part my tummy is a bit touchy.  I will say that some are much worse on me than others.  Maltitol is one of the worst culprits and is used most widely in products you find in the stores  :'(  I believe Whitman's uses it in theirs.  You might want to experiment a little and see which you can tolerate better though.   I have better luck with making my own and using xylitol or splenda.  Check this recipe out:

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=135.45  It's pretty easy and you can use different sweeteners if you like. (I've been experimenting with liquid splenda)   I'm pretty sure there are other recipes on the forum.  Just do a search on the home page and of course there is always Umpa and Doug's wonderful cookbooks  ;D

Sarah is right though....be careful with stall outs.  It should be the first to go if you have trouble  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »
Welcome to the family, Neesie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You gotten some great advice from Sarah and TooSweet.

Sugar alcohols effect each of us differently.
Also, some sugar alcohols may effect us. While others may not.
In addition to that, we may develop "tolerance" to them over time. I've personally experienced this.

As with all things we eat, moderation is key.
And for some of us, "moderation" may mean less than for others.

Finally, sweets are for occasional use only! Eating them too often is tempting a stall out.

Congratulations on the 7.7 loss!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
Hiya Neesie! welcome to the forum :) i am umpa, dougs wife if I can help you please ask.Congrats on your weight loss. I think the chocolates in the store are self regulating! :D I like to make my own,the recipes are in the Bakery book and forum.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Hi Nessie, welcome to the family :) looks like you've gotten the right answers :) Malitol and Sorbitol have been used as children's laxatives for many years.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Neesie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
Wow!  Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and wonderful tips!! ;D  And it's very gracious of you to celebrate my humble 7 pound drop with me.  Having gone the Weight Watchers/exercise @ the gym route a few times before & taken off 21-37 pounds over MANY months, I have to say I find the ease of FTS jaw-dropping.  I'm not exercising - beyond my very active job as a teacher's aide to 16 four year olds! - and I'm not grumpy or hungry.  I wish I'd known about this 20 years ago!!!

I have a picky sweet tooth - never have liked frosting, sugar glaze or candies much, but I adore dark chocolate, fresh bread, potatoes, pasta and chips.  I know I'm going to need to find replacements for these, or sooner or later I'll fall off the wagon.  I have the FTS Sugar Free Bakery Cookbook and am awaiting some goodies from Netrition & Dixie's Diner so I can try some bread & cake.  Can't wait to try the recipe, TooSweet!  Nice meeting you all - thanks again for the help.  :)

Neesie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
BTW Umpa & Doug, I had to laugh at the "self-regulating" comment & the children's laxative factoid - EW!:P  I will certainly be moderate in my in-take & as soon as I've finished the bag of Whitman's, I'll start making my own - with less volitile results, I hope!!  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »
we have replacements for everything neesie,when you need them just ask ;)