Author Topic: Stopping by to say Hi!  (Read 4546 times)

Violet

• View Profile
Stopping by to say Hi!
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
Hi All!

I am new to FTS and just wanted to stop by and say Hi!  I am really excited to get started!  Just finished reading the book and am hoping I am strong enough to make the change.   

I recently had my second child and developed a thyroid problem.  Not fun, but glad to say it is all stabilized and no longer on thyroid meds.  I am also on a low dose of antidepressant to calm my anxiety, lol!!   Because of the meds and the fact that I just gave up because no matter what I did I continued to gain weight I packed on 70 pounds.   My normal weight fluctuates between 184 to 188 and now I am at 256 and just hate it.  I am 37 years old and have been at this weight for 2 years now.  I am afraid if I don't do anything this is going to be the new me and I don't want that. 

Looking forward to making the change and getting back to the old me.

Got a couple of questions, is there a cap at how many carbohydrates we should eat a day, is it 20g?
Also, the opposite, is there a limit to how much protein we have a day?  I am assuming everything in moderation.

Any tips that you feel really helped you I would love to hear!

Thanks so much!!!

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Stopping by to say Hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Violet! Stick to 20 grams of carbs or less per day - you're right, all things in moderation. You'll be so happy to see the numbers on your scales go down! It will work better if you make the committment to get off sugar and stick with it. If you go in and out of low-carbing, you'll stall out and won't have the results you want. Check out the wonderful recipes here - you won't miss out on a thing. Be really strict with yourself for the first little bit until you don't crave carbs, and then start adding things. You'll do great!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi Violet  Welcome to the FTS forum family!!!   ;D  You have for sure come to the right place.  

You mentioned hoping you can be strong enough to make the change....once you get through the sugar detox it will be much easier.  The support here on the forum is fantastic so you should come in often and lean on us when you don't feel strong.  There is always someone hanging around so ask any questions and more than likely you will get a answer very quickly.  

is there a cap at how many carbohydrates we should eat a day, is it 20g

Yes with FTS we do stay at or below 20 net carbs a day.   I have read the book myself a couple of times and have picked up something new that I missed the first time. You will find the basic fat to skinny rules in there.  

The forum is filled with great information as well as wonderful recipes.....keep reading and chime in often.  By all means if you have any specific questions though just ask  ;)   I look forward to hearing about the journey to the new you  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:58:31 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
Welcome to the family, Violet!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You're gonna do great.
After you get past sugar detox (usually 10-14 days), you will feel fantastic and it will be much easier.

Looking forward to hearing about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
Hi Violet and welcome to the family!  So glad you found us!  I LOVE eating this way.   Just set your head to stick with it everyday, and don't let your scale rule the day.  You are going to do GREAT!!!   ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
Welcome, Violet.  I, too, have thyroid issues and was watching the scale go up and up no matter what I tried.  With FTS, I've been able to lose weight even with my hormones working against me.  This is the best thing you can do for yourself.  With small children in your life, it's hard to put yourself first, but there are lots of folks here to give you support if you ask and a healthy mom is so important to the whole family.

I'd say good luck but I don't think luck has much to do with it.  Make a decision and hop on board the FTS train.  It will get you where you want to be.

Curtain Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
Hi Violet, Even a big warm hello from New Zealand. Welcome to the family. You can do it!!  Curtain Girl

Violet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »
Wow! Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words!! I am off to read through the recipes thread.
Any favorites that I should look into?
Thanks!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum Violet  :) I am Umpa , Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I have a column on  the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. In two weeks you will feel like a million bucks and your energy level will go through the roof! :) The reason Fat to Skinny works so well is the replacements.We don't remove foods we replace them.That way when you lose the weight there are no foods to add back in to gain the weight back. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
Violet, one of my favorites is Katary's sunflower seed crackers. I can't make them too often because I love them so! My other favorite is macafoney and cheese. The One Minute Muffin (OMM) is most excellent - I make it in a flat dish and have grilled ham and cheese sandwiches or French toast with it. You use it like bread. I like Doug's Italian Stew, too. That's not the precise name, but it's pretty tasty. I haven't found a bad recipe yet - I have all of Doug's and Umpa's cookbooks and love all the recipes! I like coating meat with pork skins (I don't care for pork skins alone).

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Wow! Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words!! I am off to read through the recipes thread.
Any favorites that I should look into?
Thanks!

Hi Violet! :)

You're welcome!... We are always here to help one another along!

All the recipes I've tried here, I've liked.
So look for something you're in the mood for, and go for it! ;)

Some do require a little adjusting. So, for each recipe, be sure to read the ENTIRE thread.
That way, you'll profit from our mistakes. ::) ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
Welcome to the party Violet! Andrea....Woot Woot, you're almost at your goal weight!!!!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Go Andrea!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D