Author Topic: Afraid I Can't lose-weight  (Read 10437 times)

jenna58

• View Profile
    • Email
Afraid I Can't lose-weight
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
This is my 5th day of eating Fat to Skinny and though my blood sugars are better, I haven't lost an ounce. I just turned 54 and maybe my body just wants to hang onto the weight. I am discouraged.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:57:23 PM by Doug Varrieur »

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The great news is that your blood sugars are better which is a sure indication that you are on the right track.  Give yourself a pat on the back and back away from the scale, at least for a little while. 

There are lots of ways to measure your progress:  blood sugar, measurements, how you feel and, of course, what the scale is doing.  Post your meal plans and you'll get good feedback from the forum members.  Don't forget to drink water.  Your body uses it to flush the fat from your body.

You have made a great choice to join the FTS family.  They're all hear to be a cheering section.

SarahC

• View Profile
Post your meals (there's a thread) and see if there are sneaky carbs sabotaging you. You'll get lots of help here! Don't despair!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Hi Jenna! :)

That's wonderful news about your blood sugar!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

But, it sounds like your carb intake is down.
But your food intake may be too much.
Do you check your portions?

Portion control is the second most important component of the FTS lifestyle (next to limiting carbs).

Make sure you're only eating when hungry. And just enough to satisfy the hunger and no more.
See: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4037.msg39438#msg39438

Don't weigh yourself too often!
Like Andrea said, weight loss is much more complex that actual pounds lost on a scale!

And like Sarah suggested, post your meals so we can help you. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Afraid I Can't lose-weight
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
Sounds like you're looking for a reason to quit....missing that bread aren't you  :o You're going through sugar detox right now and the temptation to bolt is common. The truth is you're doing something wrong. List your food and beverage intake so we can figure it out. Don't leave anything out. Review this thread to get yourself motivated- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4116.0  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »
And you can always count on Doug to tell it like it is.

We can't "sugar" coat anything.  It isn't the FTS way.

Barb sugarfree!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
Don't dispair   ;)  Stick with it and it gets better.  I still have trouble getting the scales to move and I am 62 but the way I feel is soooooo much better than the way I felt before FTS.  This is a great place to be and everyone here is helpful ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
And you can always count on Doug to tell it like it is.

We can't "sugar" coat anything.  It isn't the FTS way.

Never Sugar Coat......May Eat It!!  :o :o ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
We are the same age group jenna.You have been given great advice but you have to have the "want to" or you won't succeed ;)

jenna58

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
I have not been writing down what i eat so maybe portion control is the problem. When I have dinner, i have one piece of meat but I do eat green veggies and olives throughout the day when i'm hungry. I have not had any bread, pasta, starchy vegetable or table sugar. I do have 2 to 3 pieces of sugarfree candy at night with tea and when i feel hungry, I often grab a handful of nuts.  I do often feel like I'm "craving" sweets and when that happens I will have a diet root beer with whipped cream. Hmmm....this is a typical day and does look like a lot of food. Today, I will write down everything I eat. Thanks for all the suggestions and words of encouragement.  :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »
It sounds like a lot of grazing to control hunger instead of letting your hunger trigger your meal times.  If you go back to the book and look at the section about figuring out what your natural eating schedule should be and have a meal when you are hungry instead of snacking, I believe you'll find that you eat less, fewer times and don't need to snack between meals.

The food journal will definitely help diagnose what's going on.  I'd suggest that you include the time of day you are eating things as well as what you are eating.  I think that's part of the problem.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
Jenna, for me almost anything sweet triggers sweet-cravings and stalls my weight-loss, even the sugar-free sweets do me in. It takes about three days for the cravings to stop, but then it's easier to pass on diet soda, sugar-free candy, jello, etc. Some people get along fine with all of them, but if you're having cravings and stall issues, cutting them out is a good place to start. Then you can try one of them for a couple days and see if it triggers cravings. Kind of a painful way to figure it out, but it works.

Also, although my ticker only shows a few pounds lost - I started it over at 0 when I re-started FTS - I've actually lost about 25 pounds. I was feeling really bad about being stuck, I re-read the book and forced off a couple more pounds, and then I noticed that my skin is renewing like crazy - I'm moulting into a SMALLER body! (WWW - "I'm mellllting!") Now I'm happier knowing that my body is making adjustments as fast as it can and I've calmed down.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
I have not been writing down what i eat so maybe portion control is the problem. When I have dinner, i have one piece of meat but I do eat green veggies and olives throughout the day when i'm hungry. I have not had any bread, pasta, starchy vegetable or table sugar. I do have 2 to 3 pieces of sugarfree candy at night with tea and when i feel hungry, I often grab a handful of nuts.  I do often feel like I'm "craving" sweets and when that happens I will have a diet root beer with whipped cream. Hmmm....this is a typical day and does look like a lot of food. Today, I will write down everything I eat. Thanks for all the suggestions and words of encouragement.  :)

5 green olives 2.5 carbs

2 tablespoons of peanuts  2 carbs

I wonder how many useless carbs you're eating? Remember no more than 20 net carbs per day MAX....maybe less if you don't drop at 20  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
What kind of nuts?

jenna58

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
Mixed almond and cashew...didn't realize olives were so high...i've been adding them to everything - going through about a can a day :o Today only 5 total, no nuts I had 3 boiled eggs for breakfast, 3 romaine lettuce leaves for lunch with a slice of ham and cheese on each and 1/2 cup blackberries with a sprinkle of sugar free raspberry Torani syrup. I felt pretty full until 4:00 and I was starving. I tried the Omm with golden flax meal and coconut meal and sweetened with chocolate sugar free torani (tastes too wonderful to be okay to eat) Going to try Doug's southern fried pork chop for dinner to wrap up the day.  Does that sound okay?