Author Topic: Question about sugar alcohols  (Read 1809 times)

Lance

• View Profile
Question about sugar alcohols
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
I am not clear on the sugar alcohol portion of the book. I understand that I subtract that number from the total carbs on the package. However, I went to the store to look at some sugar free candy. This is what it said....

Total Carbohydrates 15g
       sugar 0g
       isomalt 15g

Do i subtract the isomalt since it is classified as a sugar alcohol? I am not currently eating candy or sweat things but I do have the urge from time to time and would like to have something on hand instead of eating something that is way worse for me, like a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg! Anyway, I was told and have read online (in the past) that sugar alcohols do contain carbohydrates. Can someone give me more information on this for the FTS lifestyle? THANK YOU!

shawn116

Re: Question about sugar alcohols
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »
Hi Lance  Isomalt is a form of sugar alcohol so you would subtract that from the total count to get the net carbs.  In this case it would be 0 for that serving size. 
Here is the thing....while we are supposed to be able to subtract the sugar alcohols.... not all are created or behave equal in every body.  There are some people that can eat it with no problem and continue to loss weight, while others eat a little of one or another and it stalls them.  As a diabetic I can get insight on what raises my blood sugar and what doesn't because I test often.  I can't eat much if any of sweets made with maltitol because it acts like regular table sugar in my system.   This is the most common sweetener used in sugar free candies  :'(  Just know that the sugar alcohols should be the first to go if you notice you have stalled  ;) 

FYI....Umpa and the forum has wonderful easy homemade sweets ( you don't have to be Martha Stuart to make them  ;) )  that may be easier on you and your weight loss than the store bought stuff .......I hope this helps  :)

joagain

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
With my son being a Type 1 diabetic we only subtract 6 Sugar Alcohol  so for that serving it would be for us 9 carbs .  As Toosweet said everyone is different and it effects everyones Blood Sugar .
That many SA would raise tylers Blood Sugar over 30 points & I have also checked mine and it raised mine also . The more time you blood sugar is stable the better you feel & faster you lose weight . Of course this is only my opinion. ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
Try the peanut butter cups from the Bakery Book. ;)

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
This does help. Thank you! I am trying to learn how to navigate this site.  ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »
We tend to go off topic a lot, Lance, so if you want to see a recipe, check the first post in a thread.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
If you need help Lance just ask ;) The home button (red one above) will take you to all the boards.From there you can search all the boards.If you search while on a individual board it will only search that board and not the whole site. ;)