Author Topic: Thyroid issues and low carbing  (Read 4631 times)

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
Thyroid issues and low carbing
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
I have a question regarding low carbing and hypothyroidism.  I read on the internet where low carb diets can cause your thyroid to slow down.  I was just wondering if anyone else on this site has had this issue.  My husband is flying by me by leaps and bounds.  I'm still at the same weight I was at last week.  Pretty frustrating!  :-\

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thyroid issues and low carbing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
I can't speak to the low carbing-slower thyroid issue directly.  However, I can say that FTSing was my last resort and the ONLY lifestyle that allowed me to lose weight that I had gained because of hypothyroidism. 

I weigh today what I weighed in 2007, shortly before I started having health issues that were eventually traced to my thryoid.  I had a thyroidectomy in September of 2008 and continued to gain weight. Last year I switched to a new doctor and he told me to buy "the book."  The turkey sandwich I ate before that appointment was the last "carb-ladden" meal I had.

Please don't use thyroid issues as a rationalization.  Your thryoid function is fairly easy to monitor with simple blood tests and the benefits of a healthy weight so far out weigh a small fluctuation in thyroid hormone production.

We all need to eat but what we eat is our choice.  In my life, FTS is just the way I eat.  It's a part of how I live my life.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
Well said Andrea :) Men lose faster than women its fact.Take your measurements,you could be  dropping inches.But more importantly ask yourself how do i feel??

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
Hi Sandra.  I have been on Synthroid for several years due to an enlarged thyroid.  FTS is really the only thing that has worked for me.  My primary care physician totally approves of this lifestyle.  I took my new FTS book to my last visit, and he even looked through the recipes.  He said, "There's some good stuff in here!"   ;D  That really tickled me.
Anyway, he said at my next visit he may even be able to reduce my thyroid medication due to my weight loss.   Hang in there!  :)

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:01 AM »
Thanks Jan.  I was really concerned, wondering if the fact that I went to a low carb lifestyle was having an impact on my thyroid.  I thought it might be the reason for my "non weight loss" in this last week.  I was trying to find out if low carb could effect the thyroid and make it more slow - mine doesn't need to be any slower!!!  Sounds like your doctor seems to think it's okay.  Maybe, I should take the book to my doctor as well.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
I think it is always a good idea for your doctor to know what you are eating.   Be prepared for some resistance but weight loss and improved blood test results are very persuasive.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
Hi Sandra! :)

Great advice!... See your doctor soon!

My wife has hypothyroidism and uses synthroid. She also eats low carb.
The first few weeks after starting, she actually gained weight (about 15 pounds)! :o :o :o
This was distressing to say the least!

Her doctor told her that her synthroid doses needed adjustment due to metabolic changes from low carbing.
After some adjustments, she started losing and is still doing well to this day! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
That's good news mouseissue!  Maybe, if I go see the doctor she will check and can lower or raise my meds.  Whatever she needs to do!  Hopefully, it will kick in and the weight will start coming off again.  Getting alittle discouraged by the "no weight loss" issue!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Sandra take your measurements women lose inches faster than pounds ;)

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
Hi Umpa!
I will do that this weekend!  I actually tried on a jacket that I haven't been able to button and was able to button with ease!!!!  I also noticed in my jeans and some of my shirts that they are loose!!  I did take my measurements about the end of the 2nd week.  Hopefully, there will be a change!!  Something is going on even if the scale isn't reflecting it!!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
I went down three sizes before the scale showed a pound lost! Jeans don't lie like that evil scale!!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
My daughter gave me a really cute top several years ago and I was never able to wear it because it was too small - but this year it fits! I have lots of 'new' clothes that are actually years old! It's so fun to put them on and be able to button them up! I keep having to hike my pants up now, too! The scales haven't moved in ages, but the bod keeps shrinking. I haven't been weighing as much as usual, but today I got on and think there are a couple lbs gone.

sandrarbsn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
I lost a pound!!!  Woo Hoo!!!!!  I've tried on some clothes that are actually really loose and I'm able to button a blue jean jacket that I couldn't button before!!!

Umpa!!!  It makes me feel relieved to know that you lost inches before pounds...I feel normal!!! :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
YEAH!! Its all about the curves! I hate my scale but love my clothes! They always tell me when I need to be back up!When they get tight it stops me in my tracks!A lot nicer to me than the scale! Scales are evil!! :D
Hot chick dance! ;D

Snobles

• Eat to live, not live to eat!
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
Love the little chicken dance Umpa!  ;D