Author Topic: Today Show recommends surgery for fat teens!  (Read 2331 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Today Show recommends surgery for fat teens!
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
I saw this report on the Today Show this morning that said THE ONLY REMEDY FOR FAT TEENS IS SURGERY. If you tweet or do facebook, you can comment and tell them about Fat To Skinny!!!!!! Doug, get on that program NOW!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041426/ns/today-today_health/

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Today Show recommends surgery for fat teens!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
What a tragedy!  Listening to the discussion about lifestyle changes that need to be made AFTER surgery make me want to scream.  The post-bariatric surgery diet is, wait for it, low carb!  Make the lifestyle changes BEFORE and the surgery will be unnecessary.

In the spirit of full disclosure, my sister had a gastric bypass about 10 years ago.  While she has successfully kept off about 100 pounds, she regrets having the procedure because she's had lots of problems with painful digestion. 

The rest of the story: she started FTS last October because we were going to spend a week together.  She lost the weight she wanted to and is able to eat without pain.  She's a true believer. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »
This just plain makes me angry!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

These guys don't seem to care that they are putting innocent children's lives at risk!
Surgery is dangerous!!!
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I went to the website to see this article.  You know what's crazy.....when you click to the website, they have ANOTHER article listed up on the top left of the page which talks about how "toxic & poison" sugar is for us.....then there's the HUGE thing about the surgery for overweight teens.   I mean....they have the answer RIGHT THERE on the same page... :-\     I'm sure they probably have all these different reporters doing stories, but my goodness!  They are contradicting THEMSELVES!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Doug needs to get on that program RIGHT NOW and straighten them out! I watched the report on TV and that doctor said that surgery is the ONLY ANSWER to weight loss in teens! Is he out of his mind?

I also saw yesterday that the rules for obesity have changed and now they're saying that even relatively slim people can be considered obese. This ticks me off no end!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
The advertisement that came on before the segment started was for Lunchables Peanut butter and Jelly pre-packed lunch with 65 grams of net carbs! Sick....really sick!  >:( >:(
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
I knew there was a reason why I don't watch regular TV. It gives me high blood pressure!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
I just blasted the Today show and I suggest you all do the same.We need to stand up for our kids.They need to be educated.At some point as parents we need to say enough is enough. This is irresponsible journalism at its finest! I wonder if it was a lapband surgeon that paid for that spot?this is so wrong!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »
This is a tragedy.  My 21 year old son has a friend from college spending the night -- the kid is from Germany, and I was asking him about his impressions of America.  He said he's amazed by our access to fast food and junk food.  And I thought of that when I read the beginning of this thread.  Now kids eat fast food, junk food, sugary foods, and play video games instead of playing out doors....and now doctors are pushing surgery on them as a "magic cure-all" for their obesity.  What a travesty....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
The saddest thing is the parents aren't educated so they can't teach the kids.The schools are gonna feed them the cheapest thing they can.Children have no money the parents are bringing the foods into the house.Dougs book is written where kids get it.Even if they don't follow the program 100% they are gonna make better food choices because no kid wants to be the fat kid. ;) Kids are so smart.Its no different than a teen girl getting a boob job,give them a chance to cook,Even with the weight loss surgery if they don't change the way they eat they will gain it back.I don't know one person that has had lapband that hasn't gained the weight back.So they are setting these kids up to fail.
Anyway...........
Welcome Elizabeth . :) I am Umpa ,Dougs wife.I have a column on the home page called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.If I can help you please ask. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I don't usually watch TV so I have been shocked at the junk being foisted off on the public. I just can't get over a doctor telling fat teens to have surgery. Why mutilate their bodies when the answer is so simple as better food choices? It just shows the value of your efforts to get the word out, Doug and Umpa! YAY, you! On a happier note, I have seen more info about low-carb eating from different sources.