Author Topic: Why Do You Eat?  (Read 27219 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Why Do You Eat?
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
Sounds like a silly question doesn't it.....why do you eat? But this very important question has 4 possible answers and it's important for you to look deep into yourself and get a handle on why you eat. As you answer the question don't feel bad, we're all here for the same reason and we all got here the same way...including me! Don't think for one second that I don't have to go back periodically and review my eating habits, I do it all the time. I'm forever conscious as I want you to be as to why and how much I eat. So here's your test;

Do you eat for;

Pleasure, Fuel, Boredom or a combination?

The ONLY correct answer in this list is Fuel. Our bodies need food for only one reason, to fuel the machine. AND with that said the amount of fuel each of us needs differs between people based on their activity level. You judge how much fuel you need by listening to your body once you've taken some fuel in. You should only eat enough food to satisfy the need. The best way to "see where your at" is to simply eat a small amount and wait 15 minutes....see how you feel. You'll know if you've eaten enough if you listen to your body. Use the FAT TO SKINNY portion size list as a guide to get you started.

Now with all that said I want to let you in on a little secret. Umpa and I have one rule in our home. Because we know we eat for Fuel we made a ruling that "every bite must be spectacular" That way we add pleasure to our food intake.  

If your weight loss has stalled go back and take a look at eating motivations and portion sizes. Of course you should always be aware of sugar intake and stick to the < 20 carb per day rule. As you shrink you'll need less and less food so it's important to always "be in review"
and aware of WHY you eat.

FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes At a glance

Common Equivilents

Fruits and Veggies

1 cup of chopped fruit=  A baseball
1 cup of chopped salad = A baseball
½  cup of cooked  veggies=    A tennis ball

Meat and Poultry

3 oz= A deck of cards
8oz= A small paperback book

Fish, Cheese and Nuts

3oz of fish= A checkbook
1 oz of cheese = 4 dice
1 oz of nuts = 2 ping pong balls   

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:38:49 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Hodus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why Do You Eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:19 AM »
I just say its an awesome post, eating right diet is first step towards healthy life style. If you selected right diet you will get positive results regarding your fitness. Being healthy is not a difficult place to reach, but in order to feel better, look better,
and think clearer, you need a strong nutritional base.

fittin

• View Profile
    • grabi.org
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »
It's good discussion about the food how much is enough to human body's, to maintain good health it's useful.......... 8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
Eating by the clock is never good.Its best to listen to your body for signals. I am deaf when it comes to that :D I am usually in a low before I realize I am hungry! I am working on it though. I am extremely hyper ;)

fittin

• View Profile
    • grabi.org
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:55 AM »
Hello umpa

you said not to eat clock wise when our body gives the signals then take the food.

but i'm a food lover i eat something continuously when i have free time, by this problem i got fat how to control this i'm not understanding.... in my free time my mind says to eat some thing..

any suggestion to control this Habit...... :(

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »
Hi fittin, The problem you're experiencing is common to all of us. The change you need to make is to get your body NOT to want food. Ever get to the point where you say to yourself..."I can't eat another bite" That's where you need to be. To get there you need to change the mix of foods that you are eating. Foods that are high in carbs will create short term satisfaction but very quickly will dissipate and create cravings for more. Foods that have no substance like salads or juiced veggie shakes will go through you to quickly and soon you'll be hungry again. On the other hand foods high in protein and foods with healthy fats will fill you up and keep you feeling completely satisfied for many hours...you simply won't want to eat. Can you give us an example of your typical day of eating...What do you eat?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
I agree with my husband ;) People that graze or snack all day aren't eating enough at mealtime or are eating incorrect foods that burn too quickly. Long distance runners don't carb load they eat large amounts of protein for a slow burn of food energy.Post your meal plans and we will help you :)

fittin

• View Profile
    • grabi.org
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »
Hello Doug Varrieur

thanks for your suggestion.

when i feel my stomach empty then i starting eating with out i feel any hungry signals from my body so.............

I think it really works If i take liquids like salad, juiced veggie shakes it could fill full of my stomach so mostly i won't get any thinking to eat some food.......

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:09:33 AM »
Fittin you are not being punished ;) People think if they have weight to lose they have to starve themselves,NOT! :D Once you detox your body will tell you when you are hungry.When it does eat real food!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Umpa's right, fittin! :)

Not eating enough food (like protein and fats) will actually slow your progress.

Eating the FTS way is supposed to be enjoyable.
It's designed to be that way so that it can be a lifestyle for a lifetime! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

fittin

• View Profile
    • grabi.org
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:05 AM »
Hello mouseissue

can you say it clearly i didn't get u what u r saying.....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
fittin what country are you in?I think we have a language barrier :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Hello mouseissue

can you say it clearly i didn't get u what u r saying.....
Hi, fittin! :)

I'm not sure how be more clear on this, but I'll try...

If you do not eat enough low carb food, your weight loss will slow down.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
Hi fittin, I want you to eat meats, fish, poultry, eggs, green veggies, cheeses, olive oil, sour cream, and for fruits eat strawberries, blackberries and avocado. Only eat when you're hungry and only eat enough to satisfy the hunger.  8)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Why Do You Eat?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »
Fitting, don't fall for the juices and shakes for replacement of good foods like doug and umpa mentioned. You will do well if you follow fts way of eating and a tuning your body to real hunger. ;)