Author Topic: Jenny's Better Than Boxed Low Carb Pancakes  (Read 16357 times)

o0OSusieO0o

Re: Jenny's Better Than Boxed Low Carb Pancakes
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
Wow!  Hemp protein powder! I've got to get that!

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
YES umpa Hemp protein powder, the pancakes taste like Buckwheat.  And you cant' get high. LOL,
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
 :D :D I just ordered  it. I am working on a dense wheat bread this may be what I need to add flavor to the oat fiber ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Wish I could afford to experiment with ingredients. I'm so thankful to have you to do it.

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
sounds great keep us posted
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
My daughter, Mary, wants to try Flax seed milk and also Hemp milk.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »
JENNY'S BETTER THAN BOXED LOW CARB PANCAKES

2 1/2 tablespoons  vanilla whey protein powder
      (I use 0 carb MIO Vegetable Protein Powder)
  1/2 teaspoon  baking powder
  1  Pinch  salt
  1  egg
  1  teaspoon  oil
  2  teaspoons  (I changed to) 2 tsp of SF Maple Syrup
  1 tsp water just before cooking

Oil or cooking spray -- for the pan

Whisk all of the ingredients, except for the water and cooking spray, in a small bowl until smooth. Add up to 1 tablespoon of water if you'd like a thinner batter. Meanwhile, lightly grease a small nonstick skillet with oil or cooking spray and heat on medium. Pour in the batter and tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the skillet. When bubbles appear all over the pancake and the batter on top looks like it's starting to set up carefully work a spatula around the edges and then under the pancake to flip it over. Cook until the second side is lightly browned. Don't let it get too dark or it will taste a little bitter. Serve with butter and low carb syrup, if desired (not included in the counts).

Makes 1 large pancake

I don't use a skillet.  I preheat my waffle maker and just before pouring the batter on the waffle maker I spray both sides with a light dusting of the cooking spray.  The batter has to be thin enough to pour but not run over the sides, pouring directly in the middle then close the top.  As long as your baking powder is not expired (LOL) the pancake is now the lightest fluffiest waffle! 

I had this for dinner tonight along with my crispy bacon and a couple fried eggs.  A really great low carb breakfast and so very filling.

I don't understand the bottom part of this recipe...do you put 2tsp of syrup into the actual batter? And what does it mean when it says 1 tsp of water right before cooking? Do you mean you throw that in after it's all mixed right before it's in the pan, or do you mean you put it in the pan? Sorry...I get confused on this stuff easily sometimes 
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »
Hi Taby
This recipe was posted by one of my moms who doesn't come on the forum very often.   I'm pretty sure what she is saying is to add the syrup into the batter and hold the tsp of water to mix in just before you cook it so that the batter remains thin.  Here is where she got the original recipe http://genaw.com/lowcarb/better_than_boxed_pancakes.html reading it may help to clear up your confusion.  In the original she talks about experimenting with different amounts of water in the mix.  I think you will see that Suz just swapped out some of the water for sugar free maple syrup.  Hope this helps   :)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the help on that. I think I may nix the syrup/water addition altogether...most of those sugar free syrups have sweeteners in them I can't tolerate. Thanks again!
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 04:18:37 AM »
Okay...quick question before I make these...do they come out eggy? I cannot stand the taste of eggs...I gag and puke it up immediately...totally icks me out, and every "baked" or cooked or "bready" low-carb product I've made tastes very eggy :\ how does this one taste? Is it floppy and rubbery like an egg product is? Even the OMM came out eggy to me so I just left out the egg on it...but how does this come out? TIA!!!

shawn116

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
I wish I could help   :-\  Maybe someone who has tried it will come along soon

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »
Thanks TooSweet, I'll try it soon and report back LOL

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
Taby you should try the OMM recipe ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Thanks Umpa...I actually have. I made it alot the first time around when I was a vegan...minus the egg. This time around I tried it with the egg and it tasted really eggy to me :\ I couldn't finish it, it made me gag :( I hate the taste of egg and it came out very eggy...I think I will just keep on with it without the egg...when you take out the egg it has no carbs, as long as I use flaxseed! It doesn't rise as much but it doesn't taste eggy either :D

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Jenny's Better Than Boxed Low Carb Pancakes
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
I love pancakes umpa. I do.