Author Topic: Quick start then stall  (Read 6284 times)

cinleannana

• View Profile
    • Email
Quick start then stall
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
I started a topic on this thread http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4355.0  and was asked to post my menu here for review.

BREAKFAST
Scrambled - Egg, 1 eggs   
Thorn Apple Valley - Hardwood Smoked Bacon, 2 pan fried slices
Or
Mexican Scramble: 1 Scrambled egg, Daisy Sour Cream - 1tbsp, Ground sirloin - 2 ounces, Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese block (shredded) 1-1.5 ounces.
Or
Large Curd Cottage Cheese - 1/2 cup

LUNCH
Tomatoes - Red (Diced), 1/8 cup   
Cheese - Mozzarella - Fresh, 2 oz   
Kraft - Light House Italian Dressing - 2 TBSP, or Newman's Own Italian dressing - 2 TBSP    
Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 0.5 cup
Or a salad with 1cup of Romaine lettuce and same serving sizes as listed of cucumber, tomato, cheddar cheese, etc.

DINNER
Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu, 1 serving(s) (3-5 ounces of Tyson's frozen chicken breast, Hillshire Farm - Deli Select Baked Ham Thin Sliced, 2 slices, Kraft Deli Fresh - Natural Swiss Cheese, Extra Thin Swiss Slices, 1 slice 
Or
3-5 ounces of    Chicken breast with 1/2 cup Bertolli Alfredo sauce with 1 cup of broccoli
Or
Lemon Butter Cod - 3-4 ounces, with 1 cup of broccoli, and 2-4 TBLSP homemade McCormick Hollandaise sauce (made with butter and water - NO MILK)
Or
Grilled top loin Pork Chops - 3-4 ounces
Or
Grilled ground chuck with 1 tsp of Hellman's Mayo, and a drizzle of yellow mustard

Additional sides:
Hidden Valley - Ranch Dip Prepared With Reg. Sour Cream, 1 tblsp.
Lettuce Romaine - Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine, 1 cups   
Kraft - Sharp Cheddar Cheese Block, 1 oz   
1 cup frozen green beans

SNACKS (If I have a snack here are the usual):
Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 0.5 cup, pared, chopped   
Hidden Valley - Ranch Dip Prepared With Reg. Sour Cream, 1 tbls
Kraft Deli Fresh - Natural Swiss Cheese, Extra Thin Swiss Slices, 1 slice   
Ready Whip - Original - Real Cream, 2 Tbls.   
Jell-O (Jello) - Raspberry-Sugar Free (Box), 1/8 package   
Slim Jim - Snack Stick, 1 Stick (8g)   

Water:  80-100 ounces a day ALWAYS...even before starting this plan.

We eat dinner at around 6pm and 1 or 2 days I have had the sugar free jello with Redi-whip as described above, but mostly we don't have anything to eat after dinner at all.  I may have peeled cucumbers with ranch dip or a mini Slim Jim snack stick at around 3:30pm (snack between lunch and dinner while I'm at work), but again, this is maybe 1 or 2 days a week.  My menu and sides are pretty much the same portions just switched around at various meals. 

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Quick start then stall
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
It looks right to me, cin - this is one for Doug!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »
Hi cinleannana! :)

There are several things in your menu that caught my attention.
First, one is that a serving of veggies is 1/2 cup. Not 1 cup.
Consider limiting these servings to 1/2 cup and increase 0 carb foods slightly at each meal.

Also, all these items are known for their net carb content.

One note here about prepackaged foods, dressings, etc.;
Read the ingredients list as well as the reported carb counts.
The FDA is not fussy about reporting carbs. But is about reporting content in order of amount present.
If any of the top three ingredients is known to be high carb (e.g. sugar, starch, wheat, etc.), I would not purchase the product.

Foods you mentioned to be VERY careful about are:

Cottage Cheese (I wouldn't eat this)
Kraft (or Newman's Own) Italian Dressing
McCormick Hollandaise sauce
Hillshire Farm - Deli Select Baked Ham
Hidden Valley - Ranch Dip

You must be sure that you ONLY eat when your hungry and STOP when no longer hungry.
It takes 15 minutes or so before this registers in the brain.
If you eat until you feel full, you've eaten too much.

Also, check Doug's "15 minute Rule" in this post;
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=430.0

Here is another board on this forum you can read through.
There are many ideas in it to break plateaus and speed up progress;

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=7.0

Finally, remember that weight loss (like weight gain) is not a linear process.
In other words, there are times when loss will speed up and others where it will slow down.
If you follow the FTS rules, the process will continue even if the scale shows a stop or slight gain.

Be sure that you measure yourself.
This is part of the weight loss process.
At times, you'll shrink even when the scale doesn't show it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:11:32 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Hi cinleannana!  Welcome to the FTS family :)

Your list is great but there is a lot of gray area there......... What you might need to do to help us help you better is write down everything that passes your lips for a couple of days instead of giving a general idea.  For instance:

Monday:
Breakfast-  2 hard boiled eggs = 2 net carbs
                 2 slices of Bacon = 0 net carbs
                 1 cup coffee with 1 Tbs heavy whipping cream = 0 net carbs
Lunch-       1 cup mixed greens = 1 net carb
                 1/2 grilled chicken breast = 0 net carbs
                 1 Tbs of ranch dressing = 2 net carbs
                 32 oz water
Dinner        8oz sirloin steak= 0 net carbs
                 1/2 cup steamed broccoli = 2 net carbs
                 32 oz of water with crystal light = 0 net carbs
Tuesday: .........
Wednesday.........
Etc.....
make sure you add how you made the items and any added ingredients with their carb counts as well.  Not all products are equal.  For instance one dressing will be better than the other...be sure to read your labels close.  The Kraft  light house Italian dressing is way higher than the regular Newmans own.  Anything that says light on it you should avoid.  They will add sugar to make up for the loss of taste when they take the fat out  :-\  go figure  HA!  Don't estimate here.... weight and measure everything.  There could be something very simple that you are missing.  Lots of times its just something as simple as using the wrong sweetener or miss judging the carbs....What are you putting on your meat before you cook it?  Spices and sauces have carbs in them  ;)  The McCormick Hollandaise sauce has 5 carbs per serving  :o  Might not be the best choice...... don't just rely on a web site to keep track for you.  I hate to say it but there are lots of discrepancies for carb counts out there because of the difference in products used.  But if you keep it simple until you get the hang of it....you will catch on quick.  We are here to help so hang in there  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
cinleannana welcome! I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have  a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.I looked at your menus and we can only help like toosweet says if you post exactly what is crossing your lips.I can tell you though what messes most people up are condiments and splenda.Also the potato starch on pre-shredded and pre-sliced cheese.Buy in block or go to the deli and have it sliced.Take your measurements.Alot of time if you aren't losing pounds you are losing inches..You will do great.Its science ,stay under 20 carbs and watch the magic! ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »
Hi Cin, you received great advice from mouseissue and toosweet, it's all about fine tuning your menu to discover not only hidden carbs but also portion sizes. The 15 minute rule is the absolute best way to discover your actual food needs. It's amazing when I know I can easily eat what's in front of me how waiting 15 minutes after eating only half changes my mind and I walk away leaving the other half for later.

I also didn't see any beverages listed?  Do you partake in any alcohol?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
When I eat half of what's on my plate and wait 15 minutes, I've found that I need to eat small bites and take my time, savoring each bite, with the first half or my mouth wants more food, even though my tummy says enough. Now I try to put half portions on my plate to begin with, and find myself looking for something else to eat unless I eat slowly and savor.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
We eat slow.Dinner in our house is social time.Its when we get together after working all day.Its where we unwind. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
Grabbing a quick snack on the go and eating it quickly is one thing.

But at meals, we should ALWAYS eat slowly and chew thoroughly.
Doing this will give our bodies the time they need to tell our brains we've had enough.

Also, drink lots of plain, cold water with your meals.
You will fill up faster. And it will help with digestion too. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
I agree a 100% Tony. ;) Nobody is gonna take the food away!!Whats the rush??? :D