Author Topic: Gross question but need advice  (Read 6189 times)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
Gross question but need advice
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
OK, so here goes. I have a question about constipation. I figure nobody can see me so I should be OK  :-[ .

When starting FTS, how long will it take for your body to adjust? Do things just get "bound up" for a while? Also, is there some kind of standard for elimination that is different on FTS vs. a high carb diet? I know when I eat carbs, sometimes I will "go" two or three times per day. I believe this is because the carbs are holding water.

So when you switch to a fat burning metabolism, is it possible that, like the wolf park story someone posted on these boards, the frequency of things changes? In the story, the wolves only ate about once a week. Could it be that when our bodies switch to a fat burning metabolism, we only need to "go" a few times per week? 

Does anyone have any advice for managing this during the first couple of weeks?

Thanks. Embarrassment over.  ::)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gross question but need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
Water and make sure you are getting your veggies.There are low carb yogurts.Once a day is normal.Russell stover candies will clean you out quick if you eat too many.Thats what I do,suffer through the candy!  ;) Ask anything you like we are un shakeable :D

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
Thats what I do,suffer through the candy!

I love that!!   ;D ;D   Unfortunately though sometimes it can be almost as uncomfortable as the other  :-\    (Been there, done that!!  LOL )  If you find that you are having a problem and feel you are eating plenty of fiber, you might want to add a fiber supplement.  I have found that if I slack off on the flax meal I tend to need a little help.  I agree with Umpa..... plenty of water is a must though.  Do a search on the home page and you will find that there is several discusions on this very subject... no embarrassment needed...... If the plumbing doesn't work is slows everything down   :P  ;)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
Every once in a while I have that problem even two years later. I do Umpa's trick, buy a small bag of Russell Stover SF Candies. I love the round chocolate truffles. The little pack has two servings and poor me over the day I eat both servings (2 net carbs). The next day all is good. :)

You gotta love a food lifestyle where things "work themselves out" with chocolate.   :) :) :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
SherriPie! I have missed seeing your beautiful self here. Let me look at you! Yep, it's really YOU! Where ya been?

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »
Fix it with chocolate? Sounds too good to be true!!

Must be something about the Russel Stovers brand itself. Even though I eat a GG crispbread for breakfast every morning, I still often feel a little bound up. I will check for the candy though.

I agree with TwoSweet - sometimes too much candy can get UGLY!

Thanks for the tips!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
... I know when I eat carbs, sometimes I will "go" two or three times per day. I believe this is because the carbs are holding water. ...

Hi Waterlilly! :)

I noticed that too in times past when I strayed off the FTS program.
But I don't think "holding water" is a factor.

I believe that our bodies recognize those carbs as a "poison" and try to eliminate them ASAP.
But, in the average so-called "healthy" American diet, the body never can get rid of them.
Most folks eat too many carbs every day for that to happen.

As for regularity with FTS, it most likely won't be an issue.
It may change. But I've heard of VERY few cases of constipation.

Plain water is your best friend! Your body needs it in the weight loss process.
Mild (or worse) dehydration can also cause constipation.

Also, be sure to eat leafy greens often. Don't forget to measure!

If you still feel concerned...
Eating one "One Minute Muffin" with flaxseed meal a day, would give you all the fiber your body would likely need.
Here's a link to the recipe; http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=968.msg7499#msg7499
Supplements like Metamucil are also an option.
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
That's comforting. Thanks Mouseissue!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
Every once in a while I have that problem even two years later. I do Umpa's trick, buy a small bag of Russell Stover SF Candies. I love the round chocolate truffles. The little pack has two servings and poor me over the day I eat both servings (2 net carbs). The next day all is good. :)

You gotta love a food lifestyle where things "work themselves out" with chocolate.   :) :) :)

I always believed chocolate fixed everything.   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
Yeppers Morgan ;)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
I figured it out!!! ;D CELERY is my friend. For some reason, it worked well for me. The candy didn't even when I consumed the whole bag  :o . But  celery, well, I plan on buying some weekly. That plain little vegetable rocks my world.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
I eat a lot of celery.I like it with cream cheese and olives,peanut butter,chicken wings,or just with dips or cheeseballs.Its the crunch thing ;)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
Hi WaterLilly, I'm fairly new to FTS but I've already found a super tasty way to deal with constipation. First, yes, drink water but I've been eating the OMM flax meal version, sweetened with FTS zero, flavored with 1and 1/2tsps. real almond extract (worth the 1.50 more than the artificial almond extract, although the artificial is still OK) and some crushed almonds. It tastes like an excellent almond coffee cake...I swear! The flax plus additional water did the trick for me. I'm not eating the RS candies because artificial sweeteners seem to block my weight loss. So far, but not sure yet, the FTS zero sweetener doesn't seem to be causing me not to loose. I only began to loose weight after starting FTS AND not using any sweetener but FTS zero. My husband eats RS everyday, SF jello and whipped cream (0 sugar though) and has lost 12-15 lbs in 1 month! Good Luck, I'm sure the FTS advice will get you through and on your way to a slimmer you...Hey, I was a poet and didn't know it! Catznflwrz

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
I love the muffin in a minute Catznflwrz! But oddly enough, that doesn't work for me. Or at least it didn't last time. I might try it again. Flax is my friend.  :D

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
I love celery for this also Waterlilly ~ raw celery is a natural laxative & diuretic & low carb to boot  :)