Author Topic: Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Bread  (Read 5565 times)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Bread
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
My sister who has celiac disease and can't eat anything with gluten sent me this recipe.  I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.  I think I have all the ingredients here to try it but I probably won't get a chance until my next day off.  Let me know if anyone tries this and what you think.  I wasn't sure if I should post this under Breads or Desserts and Sweets since there is no sugar in it.

http://spoonfulofsugarfree.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/a-grain-free-bread/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Bread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
I like this alot. ;)

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I have this baking now but replaced half the almond butter with beanit butter. By my calculations this would make the recipe around 34 carbs. I used regular eggs (3 carbs) 1/4 cup almond butter (20 carbs) and the half cup of pumpkin was (10 carbs). I am counting  an additional carb for the small amount of cinnamon,almond and vanilla extract. Do you think that is enough for the 1/2tsp cinnamon,1tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp almond extracts? If I can get 10 slices out of the loaf pan, it would be 3.4 carbs per slice.

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
(Hi Joanne! It's nice to see your shining face!)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
Yes.I would eliminate the almond butter all together and use soy butter.Save 20 carbs.you can add a little sour cream or coconut oil for moisture.Sounds heavenly. :) Let me know how it turns out.Did you use the chia seeds?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »
Where do you get chia seeds?  That's a new one for me.

It does seem like a better use for them than those green animals!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
Where do you get chia seeds?  That's a new one for me.

It does seem like a better use for them than those green animals!

It seems to be popping up a lot lately in recipes I have seen on line.  You can get them from your local health food store or find them on line.  CH CH CH CHIA!!!  LOL

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
I'm envisioning my stomach lining with a lush, cemetery-like green coating.  I'm gonna have to hit the health food store on the way home but I have to wait for the low-carb-athon to be over before I try them.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Here is something interesting I found about them  ;)  http://www.frontiercoop.com/learn/herbschiaseeds.php  Or here.... interesting recipe for pudding here Hmmmm I wonder http://rawfoodswitch.com/raw-food-product-reviews/chia-seeds/   My favorite though is in hot tea  :)

Here is a link to a discussion about the carb count on another low carb site that I found most helpful in putting it into usefull perspective.  http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/709254-carb-calorie-count-chia-gel.html   Maybe Doug can chime in on his thoughts of it's use  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:37:38 AM by TooSweet »

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
The pumpkin spice bread is good,a bit eggy,I think next time I will go with 2 eggs and cut out the almond butter and use all beanit butter as you suggested Umpa

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
Can't wait to try it! Patty (poopzumom) told me about chia seeds.I buy them by the pound.I use them in breads.They are great in a glass of water to keep you hydrated and full.They actually gel when you put them in water .I love herbs though!!Not for everybody swallowing a glass of seeds :D