Author Topic: Ideal Weight?  (Read 11819 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ideal Weight?
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:52 AM »
The one thing I have noticed is that you don't have a list of what someone's ideal weight should be.  Or did I miss that bit?
I always have trouble deciding what it should be - probably because it always seems so low and unattainable.  Do you pick an ideal weight or a goal weight (one that you are happy to aim for) and then readjust when you get there?  I've worked out what my ideal weight range is and set the higher range as my 'ideal' but I've set my goal as one that I would be extremely happy to get to even if it is more than my ideal by 13lbs.  When I get there I will readjust.  I'm just worried that  I would just stop at my goal and not make the effort to get to my ideal. So would it be better to just draw the line in the sand and go for the whole lot?

owensmath

Re: Ideal Weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »
I had a goal weight using the top end of the range for me, but my doctor said my goal should be the bottom of the range, so my ticker reflects that number. There is a twenty pound difference, too! I don't know how long it will take, but I will be thrilled to get to the top end for sure! I will probably drop dead from excitement if I hit  "his" goal for me.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »
I have an end goal of 140, but that is so much to think of that my goal is actually to lose 10 pounds.  If I lost 10 pounds 14 times, I'll get there.  I don't think you can really choose your final final goal until I would get lower on the scale.  It depends on fat to muscle ratio, etc., some people are more muscular so will weigh a little more but look fit.  You would have to go by health issues, how you feel, consult with the docs and think about it for a while.  So, based on that I landed on a general number of "140" and like you I'll probably readjust that when I get there. 

Yeah, I'll probably do the happy dance for a week   :) :) :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »
My goal weight is at the top of the range for my height.  I'm almost there and would readjust it if I thought I needed to lose more weight, but I'm very happy with how I look at 7 pounds over that goal so I'll be over the moon when I finally get there.  For the record, it's also the weight on my driver's license.

My doctor wanted me to get to my "high school weight."  My response is that I don't want to be a scrawny old lady.  I'll wear the extra 20 pounds proudly and fight over the size 8 rack.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
Morgan,
I love the picture.  It was worth the wait.

My nephew is spending a semester in Sydney and having the time of his life. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
I will be 48 this year and I am very muscular and curvy.I maintain a size 8-10.I don't weigh myself other than once a year at the doctors.I don't buy bigger clothes.If my jeans get tight I know what to do.I think the weight standards for women are too low.Its  not whether you can get to a weight(anorexics have taught us this) its can you maintain it.To say a 50 year old woman and a 18 year old should weigh the same is ludicrous to me. I say pick a weight that you feel great at and sexy.Pick a weight that you can maintain without starving.Sometimes we have to realize no matter how small we get we are still gonna have big boobs(me) or mommas thighs!  ;) Just don't let anybody tell you what you should weigh,doctors give opinions,you are smart enough to decide for yourself :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
Good morning, Umpa.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
Good morning Andrea ;) cream cheese pancakes were great huh??? :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
They were really good.  I had tried some other versions, including the OMM ones but didn't like them enough to make them a regular part of my food plans.  These, however, are going to be a staple.  I let my husband taste them but that's all. 

I used Zero, by the way, not xylitol.

Has anyone made extra and frozen or reheated them?  I didn't have any left over to try that!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
All I could taste was crepe!They didn't last to freeze ;) I am gonna do traditional crepes with them next time i make them. Did hubby like them?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
The little bit he got to taste!  He's not really a traditional pancake guy but likes Swedish pancakes which are similar to these.  I've mentioned before that he's tall (6'4") and thin (185 on a good day) and he needs at least 100 carbs a day to maintain his weight. The change for him is that he's consuming higher quality carbs than before. 

Our next door neighbor is an 87 year old woman who is quite a character.  She made him a chocolate cake because I'm on a D-I-E-T (she spelled it out) and he probably isn't getting treats.  His sweet tooth is gone, now, too, so he didn't want it but it was funny.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
My older sister is like that.She is almost 6 ft.She says my boobs weigh me down thats why i never got taller! :D Your neighbor is cute ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
This controversial issue is a hot topic these days. From this guys perspective curvy is sexy, bony is not. My idea of a sexy woman at a good weight takes me back to Marilyn Monroe. Would it surprise you to know this sex symbols size ranged between 12-14! Back in the fifties it was about being fit and healthy and happy. About being a better person, NOT about striving to be a size double zero 00! Her measurements were recorded by her dressmaker as 36-23-37 and sometimes fluctuated between that and 36-24-37.

The truth is I find most woman stress way to much on size and the scale, look in the mirror ladies, pull up pictures of beautiful models and sex symbols from the 50's and don't allow the media or the manufactures to sway you into thinking that you should have the body of a 12 year old.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
 ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
I actually think we have a lot more "fitness" opportunities than our mothers did in the '50s.  Exercise wasn't as important because they had fewer modern conveniences and pushing an old vacuum cleaner was WORK.  Jack Lalane was a real pioneer.  I remember my mom vacuuming the living room while he did jumping jacks.