Author Topic: Even Doctors Can Change Their Minds!  (Read 3362 times)

owensmath

Even Doctors Can Change Their Minds!
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
Go back in time 2 years and 2 months in my life. My doctor told me in March of 2010 that I have diabetes. I asked him what do I need to eat? His reply was, "Eat a lot of lettuce, drink a lot of water, and stay hungry all the time!"

Fast forward to March of 2012 and my doctor recommended that I read a book called "Why We Get Fat and What to do About it" by Gary Taubes. I purchased the book and read it because I have a lot of questions about HOW and WHY eating low carb works in our bodies. I also want to understand more about the impact that food has on my blood sugar levels and what impact blood sugar levels have on EVERYTHING in my body. So, I read the book and discovered that it basically gives medical and biological reasons that Fat to Skinny is effective and is a lifestyle, and NOT a diet. It was very challenging to follow at times, but it was very informative nonetheless. I did learn, by reading the book, that Doug's advice is truly life saving!

Fast forward to TODAY.... I had my six month visit to review blood work and see how I am doing overall with the diabetes. My doctor was very happy with my hA1C, as it was 6.4 and I take NO medication for diabetes. All my numbers are looking good, he said. THEN, he sat down and we talked for about 20 minutes. I told him about FTS more in depth and explained how it would be a great read for his patients because it basically is the same lifestyle that is explained in the book he recommended, but it is easy to understand in Doug's book. I also shared with him about the Reader's Forum and how accessible, caring, and helpful Doug and Umpa always are.

owensmath

Doctor, continued.... ran out of room
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »

I had written down (on the same paper that he gave me the other book name in March) www.fattoskinny.com and www.fattoskinny.net and offered it to him so he could check it out. He said he would definitely look into finding out more about FTS but he didn't need the paper. I am glad that I have stuck with my doctor.
In fact, I said to him that the book he asked me to read recommended that I eat a salad every day. He said, "No, don't do that. Eat more protein and take Fiber Con if you need fiber." WOW - to go from telling me to eat a lot of lettuce and stay hungry to telling me to eat more protein and not worry so much about the calories!!! 
When I turned to walk to the front desk, he said, "Wait! What was it called again? Thin what?"
I said, "Fat to Skinny!" He said, "Okay, maybe you should give me that paper. I want to be able to get it right. Next visit, I'll write another book on here for you and we'll trade AGAIN."
I don't think we will need another book..... We have FTS!!!
I really am thankful for my doctor.

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Even Doctors Can Change Their Minds!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
That's AWESOME!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS  ;D ;D ;D ;D always good to hear news like that  ;) ;) ;)
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU OWENSMATH!  ;D ;D ;D Your numbers are great!!! You are a success! ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
CURING Diabetes is my mantra, I get beat up all the time by professionals who claim it can't be done....oh yeah, we know better don't we Donna...Great Story!  ;D
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »
Great story and a good lesson in standing up for what we know works for us.  Our society has put doctors on pedestals and abdicated personal responsibility for making choices. 

Congratulations on your trek to good health, Donna.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
God bless you, Donna! :) :) :)

I'm thrilled that you're doing so well.
And I'm ecstatic that your doctor is preparing to "learn up" about FTS.
If he shares this with his other overweight patients, it will save more lives! ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

owensmath

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
God bless you, Donna! :) :) :)

I'm thrilled that you're doing so well.
And I'm ecstatic that your doctor is preparing to "learn up" about FTS.
If he shares this with his other overweight patients, it will save more lives! ;D ;D ;D

My thoughts exactly! I figured if he would write down the name of that other book and recommend it, he would write down Fat to Skinny for other people, too!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
CURING Diabetes is my mantra, I get beat up all the time by professionals who claim it can't be done....oh yeah, we know better don't we Donna...Great Story!  ;D

Doug - this guy is a type 2 and he DID cure his type 2 (or at least has non diabetic numbers) BECAUSE he went super low carb: www.diabetes-warrior.net.  Now he did his "own" plan but when I read your book and look at his blog, he's basically following your plan without the cool swaps you've created like "low carb donuts" (mmmmm). 

Curing Type 2 CAN be done!  Preach it brother!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
HI  Waterlilly! :)

It's those "cool swaps" that make the FTS lifestyle VERY pleasant for a lifetime.
Otherwise, FTS would be no better than any of those "diets" out there.

Diets may provide temporary loss... FTS provides a lifetime of being thin! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
HI  Waterlilly! :)

It's those "cool swaps" that make the FTS lifestyle VERY pleasant for a lifetime.
Otherwise, FTS would be no better than any of those "diets" out there.

Diets may provide temporary loss... FTS provides a lifetime of being thin! ;D

You know mouseissue, I"m staring to get that feeling. Right now, my new found freedom and control is SO EMPOWERING!!   ;D ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »
Thats the power of detox,you are in control.And only you can give your power away ;)