Author Topic: Tapioca alternative  (Read 5483 times)

Ann B

Tapioca alternative
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
I missed my tapioca with great vanilla flavor.  So this is what I came up with....because I like to eat tapioca hot.
In a mug 1/3 cup whole milk, remainder with heavy cream to within 1/2 in of rim.
Place mug on a saucer in the Microwave for 90 to 120 seconds.  Watch carefully for first boiling....try to prevent any from boiling over.  It's too good to waste.

Remove from microwave.
Add 4-6 drops of NuNaturals Stevia Vanilla flavored sweetener.  http://www.nunaturals.com

Doesn't have the texture, but it has the flavor and creaminess.  I can have it anytime I'm hungry. And for when I'm hankering for something hot and sweet, but I don't want to chew.

Works for me.
All the best,
Ann

Itsoversugar

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Tapioca alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Chia seeds can be used as tapioca and berry seed replacements. Might be worth a try in your mixture for the missing texture.
It'sOverSugar
263.2/254/150

shawn116

Re: Tapioca alternative
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
Hi Ann  I'm like you and love the tapioca  ;D   I'm wondering if maybe your whole milk you are using (even at 1/3 of a cup) will have a bit to high of a carb count for most of us following the FTS lifestyle.

Itsoversugar you are so right about the chia seeds.  Here is what I have been doing.  I mix:
1 cup of Silk sugar free vanilla almond milk  (0 net carbs)
3 Tbs of heavy whipping cream (0 net carbs)
3 Tbs of DaVinci sugar free french vanilla (0 net carbs) [ if you don't have any you can use vanilla extract and FTS zero  ;) ]
2 Tbs of chia seeds (1 net carb)

Mix all together and let sit for about 15-30 minutes.  Mix and enjoy  ;D   If you like it warmed... place in microwave for a few seconds.   1 carb treat  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:09:41 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »
Love Chia seeds ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
Can you use them without thinking of a green burro sitting on your window sill?  Makes me smirk!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
 :D  :D

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
Can you use them without thinking of a green burro sitting on your window sill?  Makes me smirk!

No I can't seem to eat it with a straight face...HA!   ;D ;D   I made up some last night and added a bit of nut meg and cinnamon.....Yummm for breakfast   :-*

Oh and I listed them as 0 net carbs.... I guess my package does say 1 net carb for 2 Tbs.   :-\   So 1 carb for about 1 1/2 cup of pudding   :)  It's like a thin pudding though for those that are wondering (or maybe more like a thick shake that has melted?) .... so don't expect it to be thick  ;) ;)  I bet we could come up with a recipe that would thicken it up.  Xanthan gum comes to mind.... ::)  Cha cha cha chia!!!!    ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »
Oh no she didn't!! :D :D
Original Chia Pet Commercal

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
Thanks Umpa....coffee went flying  ;)  Hahaha  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm going to try adding more heavy whipping cream this time to see what happens.  Only maybe whipping it up first before I add it.  I'll report back how it goes   :)

Actually I think maybe I'm going to try using this that Suz posted about lemon pudding and just make it vanilla adding the chia seeds in.  This may do it  ;D ;D  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4012.0
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:27:26 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »
I love custard.Wicked low carb ;)

Ann B

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions.  I solved my need for texture by wisking a couple eggs before adding the dab of milk, wisking that, then adding the cream and mixing that in.  Then I microwave it about 2.5 minutes and use the wisk to stir it several times to keep if from forming into custard lumps (and from boiling over).  If I do it right, it becomes a lovely hot pudding.  Then I add the vanilla flavor and powdered Stevia.  I've discovered this gives me the flavor that I missed.

I needed the egg protein anyway, as I tend to neglect protein otherwise. I now eat this as breakfast and I feel much better for it.  It's a delicious way to start my day.

All the best,
Ann

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »
sounds yummy Ann ;)