Author Topic: Emotional Cravings  (Read 3308 times)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
Emotional Cravings
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
Something very weird is happening... :-\

I have lost the physiological cravings for sweets. That's GOOD. I can walk past any carby junk and I just see garbage. Cool.

However, I still have this emotional attachment to them. The emotional attachment came from the physiological one. Plus, when I was working as a high school teacher ( a job I was NOT suited for) I was always stressed out. Mornings included a trip to 7-11 for coffee and Snickers, or a donut, or peanut M&M's (they're low glycemic you know) <shudders>

I used to have "paths" or "places" that I would go (sometimes out of my way) to get this carby, sugary junk. I was like a hunter and sugar and carbs were my prey. Plus, for me, they were a substitute for REAL things. Now that I don't have the physical need to get this garbage, I've lost some of the things I used to "do" if you could call it that. The big thing for me is that I need to change up my life in a few ways anyway. FTS just gets the stuff that was holding me back, out of the way.

Still, there's part of my brain that goes "don't you want to stop at 7-11?" and my body says, "I'm stuffed. Why would we do that?" because it's all full of beef jerky or salmon or cheese or almonds.

Any ideas on how to break the emotional ties to carbs and sugars? I'm starting to see room for REAL LIFE now. I just need to figure out how.

(Didn't know you were psychoanalyzing me! HA! :D :D :D)

shawn116

Re: Emotional Cravings
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
I sure can understand this  ;)  I don't know if it is the right thing but for me when I have a strong urge to stop at the store (it used to be something I looked forward to...like a treat of sort)  I just pick up something that is appropriate for FTS.  Usually a bottled water or diet soda and a package of nuts, pork rinds, beef stick...etc... for the road.  Sometimes it is just helpful to realize that my life hasn't changed just the choices I make in it has....  ;D   I'm with you....I no longer feel the need to grab the junk  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
I think maybe you should change your routine and reward yourself in some other way.Maybe once a week a new outfit,massage or maybe take a yoga or ceramics class.Convenience stores are expensive! If you add up what you spend over a month it would probably blow you away :)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
TwoSweet: I've kind of been doing that now too. I feel empowered by walking into the old places and getting, say, beef jerky instead of buying a cake donut, eating that, and then getting a cream filled donut and sucking out the cream and licking the frosting on top while washing it down with coffee. TRUE story! I used to do this but not anymore.

Umpa: I think you're right. It's like now that I don't have this constant drive to set up a series of gas station visits for my "fix" I feel a new sense of freedom. It's going to take me a while but I need to get a new routine established. Its very freeing to know that part of my morning commute does not have to include stopping somewhere for "something sweet". I could really use the extra time for something good like meditation!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
I think the issue is habit and ritual.  The cravings that you used to have for sugar had a stong physical basis, a real addiction.  The habits that fed the cravings are the psychological side and actually take longer to re-program.  The answer is the same though:  REPLACEMENTS.  You are on the right track with changing your purchases but it's also good to think about alternatives that don't include food.  If you aren't hungry, buy FLOWERS!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Love the flowers idea!  ;) Change is so hard but once we do it we go"this is great why didn't I do this sooner? " :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
Hi Waterlilly! :)

The best way to break a psychological tie to something is to change your circumstances.

Umpa's dead on correct!
If you change things up in your life, and reward yourself in ways other than carby treats, you'll break those ties.

It takes time to deprogram ourselves from our old ways.
But be patient and persistent... You WILL succeed!!! :) :) :)

I know this works!
I've not only done it with carby junk, but with a 45 year smoking habit as well!
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »

The best way to break a psychological tie to something is to change your circumstances.
I know this works!
I've not only done it with carby junk, but with a 45 year smoking habit as well!

Wow. 45 years? That's great!!!

Do you think the FTS WOE helped you quit smoking?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
I think once you make a decision waterlily to take care of you and your health ALL the unhealthy things are left aside ;)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
I think once you make a decision waterlily to take care of you and your health ALL the unhealthy things are left aside ;)

Very true. "There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come."
  --  Victor Hugo

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

Umpa's right!... I made the decision to quit, then quit, and then started FTS.

I did it this way for two reasons; (1) smoking was far more dangerous to me than my weight,
and (2), more than one big lifestyle change at a time is tempting failure.

I desperately wanted to get healthier and never look back! :)
What you do today is what matters!

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
I desperately wanted to get healthier and never look back! :)

You DID! And you're an inspiration to everyone.  ;D