Author Topic: I think I"m getting the hang of this in more ways that one...  (Read 7809 times)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
I just want to say "thanks" for the great advice on how to understand my own hunger signals which have been buried under  years of bad diets and worse blood sugar.  I've been asking myself lately, "Am I hungry?" and haven't been strapping on the feedbag like before. I really don't need to eat as much or as often and I feel BETTER. I don't see food so much any more as entertainment or the band-aid that keeps blood sugar stable, but rather norishment at just the right time. Ahhhh...

Secondly, I'm always noticing high carb stuff. I saw something today that reminded me of a few concepts I've learned here.

There was a woman at this cafe near me who looked like she HAD to be a very comfortable size 4. Really lean, like I would like to be. She sat down with a friend and she had  a large, mocha sugar laden latte drink something or other topped with whipped cream AND a blueberry bagel! And I thought "What the?!" I could never eat that and I'm certainly not THAT size (yet). I just shook my head at first. But, as Doug said, I thought to myself, "Well, I"m just one of the "special people"" and I feel good about just drinking coffee while I play on my laptop. Even better than that, I didn't *WANT* the bagel or sugar laden coffee drink. It just didn't look good to me.

So this is good. Very, very, very, very good.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I think I"m getting the hang of this in more ways that one...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
Wow, Waterlilly, that's a lot of attitude adjustment in a very short time.  I'm really glad that what you are reading is making sense to you.  Congratulations on the new insights.

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »
 ;D ;D WTG Waterlilly ;D ;D ;D

I do the same thing I see things like that and it almost gives me a sick feeling in my stomach like I know what I'd feel if I had it.
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Way to go!!! You'll find that the longer you do FTS and find all the variations of member recipes your will power will get even stronger.  You won't want and don't need high carb foods.  Sunday we ate out with my folks at a mexican restaurant.  I ordered a dish that they make that has grilled chicken and mushrooms.  Told them no rice, no beans, no salad.  Just chicken and mushrooms.  I ate some salsa on my parmesan crisps I had made at home (I only take 4 so I won't overeat salsa) while everyone else ate tortilla chips (2 baskets for 3 peeps).  I don't miss the chips because I know what I am eating is better for me.  Because Sunday was Mother's Day they offered all ladies a "dessert" soapa pia.  Now if I had been in Oklahoma at a different Mexican restaurant this temptation would have been harder to resist BUT this one is not all that good.  I have eaten them in my pre FTS life so I know what they taste like but I watched my mother oink out eating the whole thing.  Now to get this same flavor I can take lavish bread sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with a mix of FTS sweetener and cinnamon; and broil until crisp.  Top with a little squirt of that fabulous whipped topping.  It's so close to the flavor.  I had already baked some chocolate FTS muffins so I was fine with that for dessert at home.  A lot of it is being prepared.  Once you start dropping pounds and inches it's such a motivator to continue.  Loving FTS.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Kudos, Waterlilly! :) :) :)

We all notice "regular (i.e. thin) people" that can seem to eat anything and never gain an ounce.

Many of those "regular people" that eat too many carbs for too long,
will likely develop insulin resistance problems like us "special people".
After insulin resistance problems begin, besides obesity, illnesses like type II diabetes aren't too far behind.

Even though we can reverse this process (and type II diabetes) with FTS,
we will always have insulin resistance issues.
For that reason, the FTS lifestyle is necessary to keep us healthy for the long term.

Think of insulin resistance problems as a developed "allergy" to carbohydrates.
And FTS is our allergy "medicine". ;D

I thank God everyday that He revealed FTS to Doug, and that Doug shared it with us! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
Way to go waterlily! Love the idea Suz for sopas ;)

BigTex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
Kudos, Waterlilly! :) :) :)

We all notice "regular (i.e. thin) people" that can seem to eat anything and never gain an ounce.

Many of those "regular people" that eat too many carbs for too long,
will likely develop insulin resistance problems like us "special people".
After insulin resistance problems begin, besides obesity, illnesses like type II diabetes aren't too far behind.

Even though we can reverse this process (and type II diabetes) with FTS,
we will always have insulin resistance issues.
For that reason, the FTS lifestyle is necessary to keep us healthy for the long term.

Think of insulin resistance problems as a developed "allergy" to carbohydrates.
And FTS is our allergy "medicine". ;D

I thank God everyday that He revealed FTS to Doug, and that Doug shared it with us! :) :) :)

Amen Tony!!!
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support.

I have noticed that when I go out to eat and I don't order carbs, there is at least someone at the table who says, "Hmmm, what is that? I might try that next time. It looks good". I had dinner with my parents the other night and I ordered French Onion Soup (no bread, just cheese), steak, green beans, and a glass of wine. They both eneded up NOT ordering the starch! Both skipped it and then mentioned later that they "didn't miss the starch in their meal".  I don't push this WOE but people ask questions and follow suit.

I wonder why some people feel like they need permission to eat this way?

Mouseissue, I think you have a point about the skinny carb eaters developing issues later. I TRULY believe that there are other diseases caused by high carb eating. Even if you don't really gain a lot of weight, you could be plagued by other stuff.

As a woman, I'm happy to know that I now know what causes weight gain and can get a handle on it. This way, I don't have to wake up one day in my mid 40's (like many stories I've heard) where a woman is freaking out saying "I don't know how I gained so much weight and I can't lose it! Even with exercise!"

FTS actually feels more like "common sense" to me. All good.  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
You can't argue science ;)

BigTex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
You can't argue science ;)

Actually people try lol but they just end up lookin like idiots!!! ::) ::) ;D ;D
Will ---

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »
 :D :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »
A friend just sent me this,you are gonna love it Tony! ;D

BigTex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
Will ---

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
Love it BigTex!!!!! :D