Author Topic: Protected Carbs?  (Read 2158 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Protected Carbs?
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »
Dreamfields makes low carb pasta - stating that for a 56gram dry serving is equal to 5 carbs:
Total carbs        41 g
Fiber                - 5 g
Protected carbs -31 g  which leaves a total of 5 carbs.  What exactly are Protected Carbs?
(I think I read that these were undigestible, but can't remember if this is correct.)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Protected Carbs?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
The manufacturer claims to have a process that makes carbs undigestible so that they act like fiber.  Acidic sauces, like tomato-based sauces, break down the "protected" carbs and make them digestible.  Clearly the standards do not allow the to be labeled as "fiber" or they would do that. Though the claim is that eating it won't cause blood sugar increases, there is a  lot of anecdotal evidence that it does.

I believe that pasta is one of the things that we need to replace.  My favorite replacement is shredded cabbage.  Shredded or spiral cut zucchini is another favorite around the forum.  It isn't worth the risk of triggering cravings, in my opinion.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
The Dreamfield claims are bogus. if you want noodles click on the House Foods Shirataki Noodles ad at the bottom of the forum, they are great :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Well you know what they say "to good to be true", I have a new appreciation for zucchini though.  At least it is honest and upfront about its carb content.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
I actually wrote a letter to dreamfields after one of our forum members who was a type  1 diabetic had a horrible spike.It is irresponsible. :(