Author Topic: Baking Chocolate  (Read 2951 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Baking Chocolate
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:56:25 AM »
It's so hard to get unsweetened baking chocolate in Australia (make that impossible so far).  I almost bought some from Amazon but it was going to cost me approx $60 dollars for postage on a box of 4 Baker's Unsweetened chocolate - hmmm  more than double of what the item costs originally ($26.38).  Anyway I came across a site that says you can substitute 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa with 1 tablespoon oil/butter/shortening (sort of classed as melted).  What I wanted to ask is if I used copha (0 carbs) would that be acceptable?  The copha sets when cool so it would have that solid consistency. Not sure taste wise though - maybe too greasy?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Baking Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:06:23 AM »
I think copha (solid coconut oil, like Crisco) would work fine Morgan, experiment with a recipe or two and report back.  ;)

You should be able to find unsweetened baking chocolate at The Original Lolly Store, they keep it stocked in the back for diabetics. Here's their info-  http://www.theoriginallollystore.com.au/

239 Lygon St
Carlton, VIC 3053
Mon-Wed 10:00am- 6:00pm
Thu-Sun 10:00am- 9:30pm
Tel: (03) 9347-5641
Fax: (03) 9347-5781
Email: arteff@tpg.com.au
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
I use coconut oil for my skin because the menopause makes it very dry. I keep another tub in the kitchen now for my chocolate flaxseed recipes to put moisture in them. i would put the  chocolates in the freezer to set. Let me know how it works :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
I used to live in a rural area that was miles and miles from a grocery store and I used the cocoa + oil/butter/Crisco substitute all the time in baking.  I used whatever fat I had on hand and never had a problem.

Who woulda thought unsweetened baker's chocolate was regional?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
Thats good  to know  ;) Its a good trek for me to get down the mountain! :D