Author Topic: Thinking of having Gastric bypass surgery?? READ THIS FIRST!  (Read 49043 times)

CJ

• View Profile
Hi all,
My name is Carlyce, but you can call me CJ. I am new to this forum, but not new to the low carb way of eating, you see 7 years ago next month, I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. I actually don't regret it but if I had it to do all over knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it. I went into surgery knowing I had to eat a certain way after surgery. They really do try and teach you low carb eating. As long as I stayed under 20-30 grams of net carbs I lost weight. I had no idea it was really the low carb lifestyle that drops the weight, I thought that was just to keep the dumping syndrome at bay (google it!) I thought the portion control I gained through surgery was what helped me lose 125 pounds. I have found out over the last 4-5 years as I have begun to put weight back on it was do to the low carb lifestyle I was leading. I ate almost identical to what is advised in Doug's book and did it for years, until I got lazy...... Well, I was given a copy of this book by my MIL and read it in two days. I knew it was a gift from God. This is what HE had for me along. This way of eating works for me and I know it is the way we all should eat. I am so excited to be on the right path again. God is good. Thanks Doug for reminding me of what my body needs and how to get it back in order.......

Remember, the portion control you gain from gastric bypass is only temporary. God designed our bodies to heal and repair themselves and they do. When the portion control is gone and you eat a sweet and realize you don't have the dumping syndrome, the honeymoon is over! Feel free to ask questions if you like. I am working and in school, but will try and check in daily,
God Bless
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:11:27 AM by Doug Varrieur »
I'm Blessed!!

Phil

• Realize how rotten sugar is for your health.
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of having Gastric bypass surgery?? READ THIS FIRST!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
great post!
And if I claim to be a wise man. It surely means that I don't know... Kansas

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
Great post CJ! ;D

CJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
Thanks!
I'm Blessed!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
CJ I want to thank you for being brave and stepping up to the plate as a reference point for others considering this form of radical weight loss. Your advice to people in the future will be life changing for them.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Cyndi

• Waiting & blessing the Savior...Shalom † Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
I agree~ Lord bless you sweet CJ...thank you so much for sharing this!

.. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

CJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »
Thank you! God is sooooooo good
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:30:39 AM by CJ »
I'm Blessed!!

SouthCarolinaLady

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Hey CJ,  Thank you for sharing your story.  My sister-in-law had the same surgery last October and dropped 80 pounds.  I didn't realize the weight could come back on after the surgery and in time.  I'm glad you are on the "right" path of eating and hope you are having a good day!  Thanks again!

SouthCarolinaLady (Susie)

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
Thank you for sharing your story! Prayers are with you as you begin your "NEW" journey to health.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

founditatlast

• Glad this is a way of life not a diet!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - giftsbydlynn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - founditatlast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
I, too, had gastric bypass surgery.  Lost 140 lbs.  Looked good for about 2 years then started slowly gaining it back.  Six years later I had a 'revision' done thinking that would help me lose the weight.  WRONG! There is no substitute for proper eating!  Now that I am on the FTS plan I feel I have found the answer that has been eluding me all my life. If you are contemplating gastric bypass surgery, don't do it!  Just substitute low carb foods for the high carb foods and all will be good.  You will lose weight slower but you will eliminate the 'dumping syndrome', kidney stones, and a host of other problems!

nfsasj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Carlyce, but you can call me CJ. I am new to this forum, but not new to the low carb way of eating, you see 7 years ago next month, I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. I actually don't regret it but if I had it to do all over knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it. I went into surgery knowing I had to eat a certain way after surgery. They really do try and teach you low carb eating. As long as I stayed under 20-30 grams of net carbs I lost weight. I had no idea it was really the low carb lifestyle that drops the weight, I thought that was just to keep the dumping syndrome at bay (google it!) I thought the portion control I gained through surgery was what helped me lose 125 pounds. I have found out over the last 4-5 years as I have begun to put weight back on it was do to the low carb lifestyle I was leading. I ate almost identical to what is advised in Doug's book and did it for years, until I got lazy...... Well, I was given a copy of this book by my MIL and read it in two days. I knew it was a gift from God. This is what HE had for me along. This way of eating works for me and I know it is the way we all should eat. I am so excited to be on the right path again. God is good. Thanks Doug for reminding me of what my body needs and how to get it back in order.......

Remember, the portion control you gain from gastric bypass is only temporary. God designed our bodies to heal and repair themselves and they do. When the portion control is gone and you eat a sweet and realize you don't have the dumping syndrome, the honeymoon is over! Feel free to ask questions if you like. I am working and in school, but will try and check in daily,
God Bless

nfsasj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing this 

Countrygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:54:25 AM »
Thank You CJ, my lung doctor is pushing for my to have the surgery, and I don't want it. Well now I am glad that my instinks were right, not to do it.

I can't thank you enough for this post, Thank YOU so much.

Margie

• MSN Messenger - margiefp@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
I too had Gastric Bypass thinking that it was the answer to my prayers. I lost 100 # then it seemed to stop and then the humiliation sets in cause everyone knew you had it done and why didn't it work for you. I felt like such a failure. If you're thinking about it.....PLEASE DONT DO IT!!

Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Jesus Christ. Phil. 3:13-14

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
I gotta tell you margie i have met a ton of people who have had gastric bypass and only one has kept the weight off.The doctors don't teach you how to keep the weight off. :)