Author Topic: Newbie Question: Minus Fiber?  (Read 6718 times)

JETM

• View Profile
Newbie Question: Minus Fiber?
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »
Hello,
I downloaded the book yesterday but also started the diet yesterday.  My question is- I found a web site that has zero net carbs for bread and crackers.  Is this for real?  Do I really subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of Carbs in order to come up with my correct carb #?  It sounds too good to be true.  I can have all the bread I want?  Do other people like the taste?  Any recommendations on which bread to get?

1 large leaf of lettuce is .45 carbs but the fiber is .2 so then the net carbs are .25?  So I can have 4 large lettuce leaves for 1 carb???????  

Is there a gadget I can buy or download to my iphone where I can put in the food item and it will give me the NET carbs?

The cravings have gone away - Yea!
Thanks!
Jann
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:58:53 PM by JETM »

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: Newbie Question: Minus Fiber?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
yes it is true that you subtract the fiber count & the sugar alcohal count to arrive at total carbs>>>>> but i wouldnt believe the websites claims of "zero net carbs" until doug/umpa can get the facts from the manufacturer.... chances are they are fibbers!! :o  as far as a gadget...not sure,but doug does offer a carb product guide book ;)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
More than likely it's a buncha poopy. :o

JETM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
Thanks all... but I got to the web site from a link on Doug's web site.  It was Viva Low Carb .com.  Is it safe to buy from them? 

The link to their zero net carb bread item is here:
[/http://www.vivalowcarb.com/Products/Healthwise---ZERO-NET-CARB-Rye-Bread-(BREAD-SHIPPING)__018262400117.aspxurl]

How do I ask Doug about this?
Thanks,
Jann
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:14:51 PM by JETM »

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
he usually checks in everyday..either he or umpa will reply sooner than later :D

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
that link takes me to a website that is under construction????

JETM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »
It's www.vivalowcarb.com  then look in the bread section...
Thanks!

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
i gotta tell ya...it looks good,but other companies have made this claim and Doug nixed their products after researching the ingredients,but i am far from being that knowledgeable ...lol but at 1st glance it appears to be " to good to be true" we'll see what they say ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
Welcome JetM! i am umpa doug's wife.Katary alerted me to your bread question and I have contacted the manufacturer for an ingredient list.If it sounds too good to be true,read the ingredient list.When i went to the website they didnt offer it.This is something I do quite often because we have alot of type one diabetics on the forum.Alot of the products they sell are fine,but you have to learn to read labels and ingredient list.If flour ,grain,or oats are in the first 3 ingredients there is no way it is zero.
I specialize here on the forum on converting recipes,on the main page i have a column called ask umpa.i can convert your favorite recipes or answer these type of questions.If you are unsure please ask.We do have a product guide if that helps on fattoskinny.com.if I can be of further assistance please ask.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
JetM i forgot to tell you,there are very simple bread recipes in the recipe section.When you go there look at the bottom left and click on the numbers.That will give you page after page of recipes.And if you need a recipe,Ask Umpa.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
JETM, the link did'nt come from my web site can you take a quick look and see where you found it? Umpa did the math....not good, another fibber
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »
Response from vivalowcarb
Date: 06/04/10 03:32:38
To: Sherri Varrieur
Subject: RE: Breads

Hi Sherry:
Did you click on the picture? When you first open the picture the bread bag is big and the other 2 are small, but when you click on the small ones they also get big :-)

Let me know if this is ok, if not I will get copies and email them to you.
Thanks for looking at Viva!! We have over 1000 items that are Diabetic Friendly, and by the way, we are open to the public in Paramount, CA.

Let me know if you need the pics!!

Take care,
Rossana Forzanti
Viva Low Carb
7625 Rosecrans Ave # 19
Paramount, CA 90723
888-808-7667

They do sell low carb products this is not one of them.The third ingredient on the list is oat flour which is 15 carbs per 1/3 cup.Read the ingredient list .

JETM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought I got there from your site - my error.  

I'm confused though about something - re the "net zero carb bread", here is a copy of the label:
http://www.vivalowcarb.com/ZoomImage.aspx?productID=83e4b65d-ae76-4486-81ee-4b6e90a57f9d

If you copy and paste it into a browser, you will see that it says there are 7 total carbs and 7 g fiber; therefore, zero net carbs.

Then if you look at the ingredients, it reads: flours (organic whole wheat bran, natural wheat protein isloaye, natural oat flour), purified water, sea salt, etc.  

So, are you saying that because oat flour is the 3rd ingredient, the label which says 7 total carbs and 7 g fiber is inaccurate?

I gues I shouldn't believe everything I read?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:59:43 PM by JETM »

katary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
yep jetm,if your ever in doubt,read the ingredients & if you see something that you know has plenty of carbs(sugar,grains,etc) then you have to question the accuracy of the claims,doug stated somewhere in this forum the carb counts are very lax w/fda,so companies may try to cut corners when they calculate them,i think everyone in here is in search of the no carb bread...lol & you can always "ask umpa" or doug and they will get the facts for ya ;)

owensmath

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
I asked a question about some too good to be true low carb tortillas last week. Doug explained that the company had already done the subtractions before putting the "carbs" on the label. It was actually the "net carbs" and the fiber had been subtracted. Maybe this is the case?