Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 15150 times)

gkolay

• View Profile
What am I doing wrong?
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
I have been on this life change for 3 weeks now and have not lost a single pound. I'm very disappointed and frustrated. My blood sugar levels have gone down tremendously. I'm just not losing ANY weight. Why? Any suggestions? I used to lose weight fast and easily and now...?

MommaB

• View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
I know that as soon as Doug and Umpa see this they will ask you to post your menu. Everything that you put into your mouth, post here!! That way they/we will know how best to advise you!!

Hang in there!! It does work and there is lots of support on this forum!!!
MommaB   ;)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
Hi gkolay  Welcome to the FTS forum family  ;)   Yes MommaB is right... if you could please post everything that passes your lips for a few days it will help us to see what you may be missing.  Funny but it is usually the simple things that trip us up and don't see.  Be sure that you are drinking lots of water as well to help flush everything out.  

To touch on the blood sugar issue a bit...I'm diabetic and found in the first week of being on this way of eating it leaveled out quickly but that I don't lose very quickly.  I'm not an expert but I believe that my body is always fighting the sugar issue even at 20 net carbs a day because of the damage with the diabetes.  If I want to start the scales to moving down I have to drop even lower than 15.  I do great to maintain and keep a wonderful normal sugar level at 20 net though.  I love not having to take the meds any more.  ;D

Don't get discouraged....we are all here to help.  List your intake and don't forget to list the carb counts of everything (products that you have may be different than ours)  weigh and measure all of your portions...sometimes folks don't realize they are eating way more than they need.  If you are using sweeteners you might want to back off of those for a bit...sometimes the sugar alcohols will stall some folks.  No worries we are right here with you  ;)  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:36:50 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Welcome to the family, gkolay!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You already received some great advice from your fellow FTS family members.

I'm assuming that your measurements have not gone down since you started.
The weight loss process involves losing size AND losing pounds.
If both are unchanged, we need to look a bit further.

In my experience, there are usually four things that would cause no weight loss early on;

(1) Eating more food than needed,
(2) Eating sugar alcohols (sugar free sweets),
(3) Not drinking enough water, and/or
(4) Not getting enough sleep.

As Toosweet said, begin posting your menu plans here so that we can see what's going on.
Be sure to include EVERYTHING you eat and drink as well as "How Much";
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0

While you're going through "sugar Detox", which usually lasts the first 10-14 days, avoid ALL sugar alcohols.
They will slow you down.
And if you get a few too many of them, they will stall out your progress completely!

Be sure to drink AT LEAST 64 ounces of PLAIN water EVERY day!
Being even mildly dehydrated will stop progress. As will not getting sufficient sleep.
Water is necessary for, among many other things, the weight loss process.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey to a skinny YOU! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »
Hi GKolay, welcome to the family...MommaB is right, time to post everything you're eating and drinking so we can advise you. Don't be frustrated we'll figure it out.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
Welcome gkolay! :) Congrats on the blood sugar levels.Welcome to the forum.If I can help you please ask.Normally when people aren't losing they are missing something.Its usually splenda,too many high carb veggies,salad dressings or coffee creamer.Post your meal plans and we will fix it.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.All will be well ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, gkolay.  Stick with us, we'll help you figure it out.

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
I think some of you have hit the nail on the head. Before I found out I was diabetic, I couldn't get enough water to quench my thirst, as I'm sure you all did, and now that I'm not so THIRSTY all the time, because my blood sugars have dropped so significantly, I'm probably not drinking enough water. Also I never was much of a soda drinker, but am now drinking 1 to 2 diet sodas a day. SO, I will cut out my soda intake, drink more water, and I will be back to the forum in a couple of days to post my food intake for the next 2 days.

Thanks so much for the help. I can tell I'm going to make some good friends on this forum.  :) :D

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »
Thanks so much for the help. I can tell I'm going to make some good friends on this forum.  :) :D

You already have!   :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
yeppers ;D

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »
So here's my food consumption for the last 2 days.
DAY 1
Breakfast: Coffee with half and half (1 carb), 2 egg omellete with cheese, avocado and sour cream (3 carbs)
Snack:  Deli Turkey breast wrapped around a piece of muenster cheese (0 carbs)
Lunch:  Chef salad using Romaine lettuce, with deli turkey and ham, cucumber, cheddar cheese, and Ceasar dressing (4 carbs)
Snack: Pine nuts (1 carb)
Dinner: Chicken Cordon Blu (no breading), green beans, cottage cheese (5 carbs)

DAY 2
Breakfast: Coffee with half and half (1 carb), scrambled egg with cheese on top (0 carbs)
Snack: Deli turkey breast wrapped around Havarti cheese (0 carbs)
Lunch: Tuna mixed with mayonnaise, and a little pickle relish (2 carbs)
Snack:  Deli ham roll ups (with cream cheese) (2 carbs)
Dinner: Pork ribs (plain - no sauce) cucumber, cottage cheese. (4 carbs)

So I ask again...what am I doing wrong? :( ???

owensmath

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
So here's my food consumption for the last 2 days.
DAY 1
Breakfast: Coffee with half and half (1 carb), 2 egg omellete with cheese, avocado and sour cream (3 carbs)
Snack:  Deli Turkey breast wrapped around a piece of muenster cheese (0 carbs)
Lunch:  Chef salad using Romaine lettuce, with deli turkey and ham, cucumber, cheddar cheese, and Ceasar dressing (4 carbs)
Snack: Pine nuts (1 carb)
Dinner: Chicken Cordon Blu (no breading), green beans, cottage cheese (5 carbs)

DAY 2
Breakfast: Coffee with half and half (1 carb), scrambled egg with cheese on top (0 carbs)
Snack: Deli turkey breast wrapped around Havarti cheese (0 carbs)
Lunch: Tuna mixed with mayonnaise, and a little pickle relish (2 carbs)
Snack:  Deli ham roll ups (with cream cheese) (2 carbs)
Dinner: Pork ribs (plain - no sauce) cucumber, cottage cheese. (4 carbs)

So I ask again...what am I doing wrong? :( ???

First, I see 22 carbs here. I personally had to get mine lower than that to consistently lose weight even though the general guidelines says that 20 is the target number.

Secondly, I have to wonder on the portion sizes because that is where I had to adjust a lot in the beginning. Fr instance, how much avocado with your breakfast? I believe that one medium avocado has about 3.5 g of net carbs. Sour cream is usually about 2 g carbs per 2 Tablespoons and eggs run about 0.6 for each egg. Also, if your cheese was Pre-shredded, they add some stuff to it to keep it from sticking and there are carbs in it.
I avoid cottage cheese, personally, because I don't want to spend my small allotment of carbs on it. It is a bit higher than what I prefer. I know it has always been thought of as a "diet" food, but FTS is not a diet. It is a long term lifestyle. 

Don't get discouraged, think of this as a growing process. You have undoubtedly already made some great changes in your lifestyle and are most likely already feeling better than you were before you removed the poison (sugar) from your choice of foods.

I know that others will chime in and offer help, too.

You will get this going soon. Stick with us, we have all been where you are and still ask questions of each other and look for support. I have been living FTS for 2 years and 2 months and I am still learning.

Stick with this lifestyle and you will be soooooo glad you did!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »
DELI MEATS!  They often have hidden carbs.  I think it was SherriePie who finally realized that deli meats were causing her weight loss to stall. 

gkolay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
@ Owensmath - Yes thats 22 carbs, but it's 22 carbs for 2 days. the first day is under 15 and the second day is under 10. so based on your comment that I need to keep my carbs under 20 per day, I've been doing that, and still not losing weight. I'm EXTREMELY frustrated at this point and just about ready to give it up and  stay on the medication. I don't know what else to do.  >:( :'(

owensmath

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »
I am so sorry. I see that it is two days now.  I overlooked that very important detail when I first read your post.